Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Geff » April 19th, 2013, 4:15 pm

shippenville wrote:Looks like we could be loosing a nice bit of trail by the Leslie golf course if this complex gets put in:

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... c-meeting/

Not sure how that affects A2 loop all that much, but for natural and aesthetic purposes, it will be a loss to the area. Ride and run past it all the time. Will now have to look at more housing development. :icon_puke_l: :icon_puke_r:
Geff

Postby raptorTC » April 20th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Yeah, looks to be far enough East and on the other slide of the golf course as to not impact the local loop trail through Leslie. Still its always sad to see wilderness go the way of housing development.
raptorTC

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 2nd, 2013, 8:08 pm

Olson is good to go. A few soft spots that if you ride down the middle will be fine.

I need someone to show me the uber top secret AA loop. I have problems getting to the WIM rides on Wed nights due to my crazy work schedule. Are there any other opportunities to be initiated into the full-loop-knower-club?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby jmf003 » May 25th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Rode the local loop and two laps of Olson Park this morning. Still some face slappers but the trail is in great shape.
jmf003

Postby oogs » June 11th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Cool, thanks! I am very interested to see someone else's version of the loop.
oogs

Postby Bcar » June 11th, 2013, 6:13 pm

oogs wrote:Cool, thanks! I am very interested to see someone else's version of the loop.

If you ask 10 people what the loop is, you'll get 20 answers ;)
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby 300hp » July 30th, 2013, 6:59 pm

oogs wrote:
Bcar wrote:Sweet. Thanks. We don't really do much in black pond/nature area. That's the NAPs backyard, and they shoul;d take care of it.

NAP?

Big Brother.
300hp

Postby sisu » August 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Out of town. Nxt wk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sisu
Administrator

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I'm out of town next weekend :\
oogs

Postby Geff » August 14th, 2013, 7:33 pm

From the Border 2 Border group. Summer update on the pathway. Good stuff!

http://bordertoborder.intuitwebsites.co ... r_2013.pdf
Geff

Postby Geff » September 19th, 2013, 9:01 pm

sisu wrote:Pretty sure this land is EAST of US23 and WEST of Dixboro Rd.

Yes.
Geff

Postby 300hp » September 22nd, 2013, 7:55 pm

hahaha right. That chunk of land shares many of the unique geological attributes that Cherry Hill park does. I really don't understand why more people don't ride and hike that park. SO FUN.

The piece of land in question is, in my opinion, one of the least utilized, yet most suited to natural park use in the Ann Arbor area. The grazed old growth would be quite nice to walk through, and if trails were legally allowed through that parcel, the mellow grade and spine-ridge topography could certainly make for sustainable, entertaining riding.

I guess we'll just have to see. The problem, from a mountain bike perspective, with bringing a natural space conservation group into it is the chance of losing the prospective ability to ride on that land. Long time Ann Arbor riders already know the extent some militant conservationists go to in order to make bike travel less appealing on local loop trails.

Quite a pity, really. With just a modicum of support, the NE quadrant of Ann Arbor could have one of the midwest's best urban trail networks. Some former refuse dump-site land, which is already shot from a keep-it-unmolested naturalist perspective, would be ideal for a "flow trail" with its long, even grade, light vegetation, and clay topsoil. Abutting neighborhoods have built sidewalk access that terminates to the parcel, and homeowners have blazed various trails across the land. Oh well. It'll stay fallow in the U's hands.

I've heard campfire tales of trails in that quadrant, but I suspect they're just ghost stories :)
300hp

Postby oogs » September 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Bcar wrote:

come to the poto chapter meeting tonight and introduce yourself. Not many I know will blindly give tours of "stuff" ;) myself included, no offense...

Ive seen a few strava types on the loop, but not many. I think we have to go far above and beyond with hikers/walkers on the local loop, just the nature of what we're up against in the DPRA2. It is a PITA, and shouldn't be necessary, but everyone should be saying hello, yielding, using a bell to warn others, etc. need to put our best feet forward if you will.

Hah, fair enough. When/where is it? I don't see any info about it here - http://www.potomba.org/ .
oogs

Postby Bcar » September 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Ann arbor brew co, tonight, 730pm.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 27th, 2013, 10:36 am

During the meeting I mentioned I had some ideas on how to fix the see saw in Olsen, and was promptly volunteered to do that. The main complaint was that the board moves around a lot when ridden, resulting in it not being available for some riders (i.e. it's moved too far forwards and the approach side is now off the ground... till someone stops to fix it). Can I just wander out there and do my thing (after I mock it up in my garage, just to make sure), or is there a procedure to follow for doing these fixes?

Edit: grammar.
Last edited by oogs on September 27th, 2013, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions