Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Trail Markings

Postby lucasfoster80 » April 13th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I mentioned this one time last summer, but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if there were any new updates.

Is there any possible trail markings being placed within the trails?

Thanks and I can't wait to get out there on the trails!
lucasfoster80

Postby jake » April 13th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Ella Sharp Park is not a MMBA trail. I have mentioned to the group that takes care of it that I would like to improve the signage there, but I don't think it will ever happen. I even tried contacting parks & rec. about it with no response from them. Cascades Cycling Clubs contract with the city specifically states that it will not become a MMBA trail so I doubt they will allow us to sign it.
jake

Postby jake » April 13th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Monday night rides are beginning as well. We meet at the museum parking lot at 6:00pm.
jake

Postby jake » April 13th, 2008, 7:12 pm

I am encouraging anyone who has ridden the trails at Ella Sharp Park and would like to see some changes made to contact Parks & Rec.

Maybe if they get enough e-mails about the condition of the trails and the lack of signage they will be more inclined to let the MMBA have a stronger prescence in the park.

Send a message to:

Jim Parrott, Director of Parks, Recreation and Grounds
City Hall, 5th Floor
Phone: (517) 788-4040 Fax: (517) 768-5860
jparrott@cityofjackson.org
jake

Postby dhmedic24 » April 14th, 2008, 4:28 am

Well, I sent a message to the parks dept. Hopefully it won't fall on blind eyes. It's unfortunate that the CCCs contract is so constricting. It seems they don't want help but aren't willing to update anything. (note their website hasn't been updated in a long time! :? ) I hope we can join together and convince the city to allow us to improve on what's there now. From what I've seen of the trails, they're quite rideable right now but there's been no maintenance done, (lots of leaves and branches.) If the trails were cleaned up this would be a great early season ride.
EMS on Bikes!! Pedaling mine off to save yours!
dhmedic24

Postby jake » April 14th, 2008, 4:39 am

They usually hold a spring cleanup to clear the leaves and branches, but I don't know if it is scheduled or not. Notes are typically tied to the trees a few weeks before there cleanup date.
jake

Postby jake » April 26th, 2008, 8:09 pm

We had a very positive meeting with the director of Ella Sharp park today and members of Cascades Cycling Club about signing the trails and possibly rerouting the trails around some of the eroded areas.

I also learned some new stuff about the park today. Although, the park is in the city it does not fall under Jackson Parks & Rec. Dept. The land was donated to the city so it actually has a board of trustees that make all of the decisions regarding the park. The board meets again in June and the issue of new signage will be brought up then.

There are plans to add a large kiosk type board at the entrance to the park which will have all of the trails listed on it in the future. They will also be holding the collegiate race again in Sept. the park was really happy witht the way things went last year so they are doing it again this year. He said it was really positive for the park.

The one thing we need from MMBA members is to step it up with volunteer help at this park. We told CCC that we can get a better turn out for trail days and helping to keep the park maintained. We will be scheduling a trail day within the next few weeks to clear the trail, pick up grabage, and possibly look at re-routing some of the current trail.
jake

Sharp park-thorny branches removed and trail head mowed

Postby jen wolf » July 27th, 2008, 6:23 pm

I want to thank the person who removed the thorny branches/bushes on the school house trail. I run and ride that trail and it was a real drag to run through the prickers. I also noticed some of the trail heads have been mowed so you can see them better. Thank you! jen :D
jen wolf
jen wolf

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby spwrozek » March 29th, 2009, 8:51 am

I was out there about 2 weeks ago and the trails are a mud hole and need to be cleaned up. We have gotten about 2-3 inches of rain since then as well. I may go for a walk with a leaf rake out there some time soon.

Has anyone else been out there or cleaned the trails at all?
Last edited by spwrozek on April 2nd, 2009, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spwrozek

Postby jake » March 29th, 2009, 8:56 am

I heard most of the trail is now ridable, but I have yet to be out there. A spring cleanup day should be coming soon. Members of Cascades Cycling Club usually post flyers in the trail when they have a day scheduled for cleanup.
jake

Postby spwrozek » March 29th, 2009, 11:13 am

Right on, I will have to go take a look this week.

We planning on doing a weekly ride this year? Mondays will work good for the people I usually bring (Parker(me), Heather, and Eddy). I am trying to get a feel for anyone where I work now that would want to join the ride.
spwrozek

Postby jen wolf » March 29th, 2009, 1:10 pm

I ran the school house trail and the river trail last week... it definitely needs some spring cleaning. I will be happy to help. I was going to try and go out today but it is too rainy- there are so many leaves on the trail it makes it difficult to see the rocks and with the rain- conditions will be too difficult. I will watch for the spring clean posts- thanks- j
jen wolf

Postby jake » March 29th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Monday night rides will be starting again. I had planned to start them offically on 4/13 at 6:00pm.

If the weather is good on Mondays prior to that I will probably be out there as well. I am going to try and get out there to clean some of the trail this week.
jake

Postby spwrozek » March 29th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Post what day you are going out to clean, Mon-Wed works best for me, and what I need to bring I I will be there (I am a 9-5 guy so around 5:30 or 6 works for me). Eddy would probably come out too.
spwrozek

Postby spwrozek » April 2nd, 2009, 8:53 pm

We rode the trail today, Museum and Schoolhouse, both were ok. It really needs some work clearing out the leaves and cleaning sticks and logs on the edge of the trail. The trails were nice and dry though.

Also I am not quite in bike riding shape...
spwrozek

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions