Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby jen wolf » April 3rd, 2009, 9:27 am

I am going to try and rake the school house trail late tomorrow morning if weather permits :) Have a great weekend- jen
jen wolf

Postby spwrozek » April 3rd, 2009, 9:58 pm

It had a lot of leaves that is for sure. I really wish we could have this trail run by MMBA but oh well. Hopefully monday is the last snow we get for the year and we can get to more riding.
spwrozek

Postby jake » April 4th, 2009, 9:51 am

I did the museum trail this morning and part of the school house trail. I am going to try and get a little more done sometime this week.
jake

Postby jake » April 4th, 2009, 4:12 pm

I ran into one of the guys who regularly cleans the trail today while out riding. He said spring cleanup is scheduled for April 18th. I forgot to ask what time, but they usually start at 9:00 I think. I will post up once I know for sure. Also he was clearing the north section when we came through so that should be in good shape now as well. All sections are clear of the fallen trees that were out there.
jake

Postby jen wolf » April 4th, 2009, 6:18 pm

School House trail is clear - it was a beautiful day out. Trail clean up is April 18th (Earth Day) at 9am, meet at museum parking lot- there were signs posted for it. I think last year on Earth Day there were groups of boy scouts cleaning up the trail- mostly picking up trash- so hopefully there will be extra help.
jen wolf

Postby jen wolf » April 9th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Holy moley there are trees all over the trail!! you go 10-20 ft and then there is another one down. I ventured on the school house trail, tunnel trail, and museum trail. The museum trail was the best and the school house and tunnel were so bad. I spent 3.5 hours raking the school house last weekend and you cannot even tell!! branches and trees all over the place!!
jen wolf

Postby jake » April 9th, 2009, 7:49 pm

That really sucks I was out there for a few hours Saturday morning as well. I may be able to get out there tomorrow to take care of some of them, but I am not sure yet.

Monday night rides begin this week too. It isn't going to be much fun hiking the bike over all of the down stuff.
jake

Postby spwrozek » April 13th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Did anyone go out and ride today? it was raining and coldish when I got home so I decided against it. Hope to be out there next week though.
spwrozek

Postby dhmedic24 » April 13th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I rode this morning. Most all of the trails were ridable except of course the tunnel trail. There is a LOT of dead fall & a few large trees down. Especially on the school trail. My partner & I tried to move all that we could but there are still several areas that need attention. The trail day should be a busy one. Lots of work to do. A chain saw will certainly be necessary. Unfortunately, I have mandatory training at work all day Saturday. I would rather be working the trails.
dhmedic24

Postby spwrozek » April 24th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Rode yesterday and it was alright. The trail by the softball fields was perfect. Sections 1-4 were ok but needed some cleaning still. Schoolhouse was in good shape. Museum was pretty good.

I need to get back in riding shape as the trail totally kicked my butt. The first Monday ride I will be able to make will be on the 4th of May. See everyone there.
spwrozek

Postby jen wolf » May 17th, 2009, 7:37 pm

nice article in the paper today :) I ran the river trail and it is in pretty good shape- some washout on the loops in the hilly area. Has anyone been out to Macready? I have ran out there a few times- it is beautiful!! nice wide, clean trail- great hills, wide turns. It would be fun to ride but it says no bikes allowed. I don't understand why they won't allow bikes- it would be super fun to ride- it is short (5.5 miles) but the loops connect so you could keep going around.
jen wolf

Postby jake » May 17th, 2009, 8:48 pm

That article in the paper was a bunch of crap!!! I have had numerous meeting with the park and CCC about signing the park. The club is has never been for it. We (the Midstate chapter) even offered to pay for and install the signs, but we were told they had to be approved by the parks board before we could even install them or make the much needed repairs to eroded sections of trail.

The two people quoted from CCC are not doing the trail any justice. One of them cuts out every single tree that falls on the trail it might as well be paved and become an extension of the rail trail. Several people feel this way. We hold a group ride there every Monday night no one from CCC shows up. Last year we had several new mountain bikers who had no prior trail experience. The people leading the rides took time showing new riders the trails and how to manipulate different parts of the trails, but one complaint was the removal of down logs. Things like that should be left, this is a mountain bike trail and beginner riders should learn to ride over log piles and other obstacles it will only help them when they venture out to other trails.

This trail is also in need of some serious reroutes in certain sections due to erosion. These concerns were brought up with the park manager however we were told that we could not change anything without having it approved first through the park board. CCC does little more than clear the trail of leaves in the spring and fall. I agree we need more volunteers to help with maintenance at the park, but there is a lot of work beyond raking that needs to be done.
jake

Postby spwrozek » May 18th, 2009, 8:24 am

I was hoping someone would be commenting on this crap. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... ml#preview
spwrozek

Postby jen wolf » May 18th, 2009, 8:38 am

I didn't realize there were so many issues going on with the trail. I thought it was a nice article because it brought attention to the trails and we are very lucky to have these in Jackson.
jen wolf

Postby jake » May 18th, 2009, 11:50 am

I thought it was a nice article because it brought attention to the trails and we are very lucky to have these in Jackson.
I didn't realize there were so many issues going on with the trail. I thought it was a nice article because it brought attention to the trails and we are very lucky to have these in Jackson.

I agree we are lucky to have the trails here, however it would be nice if they would actually make them more user friendly. I have been trying to push that for several years now. They would probably get ten times more use if they were promoted, which the article will probably help to do, but anyone who has ever been out there will tell you they are not the easiest to follow if you don't know your way around. Some sections you have to be really careful about traffic in coming in the opposite directions. There are several seriously eroded areas which should be rerouted, but they don't seem to care about that at all. Its just a really poor representation of what a mountain bike trail should be.
jake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions