Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby jen wolf » May 18th, 2009, 11:56 am

I agree that it is poor representation of what a mtn bike trail should be. I wouldn't fall in love with the sport on those trails. I ride- but I prefer to run these trails- I go out of town for my mtn bike riding. You have very good points and I wasn't looking at it from your perspective. If there is anything I could help with please let me know. I love those trails and I am happy to help in anyway I can.
jen wolf

Postby spwrozek » May 18th, 2009, 12:39 pm

I started riding last year at ella sharp. I liked it, it was cool and all. Once I went back to college I rode the Tech Trails and then I fell in love with riding (not as much as snowboarding and skiing but still pretty good). I went from riding 4-5 days a week at Ella Sharp last year to 1-2 this year. I still like the trails and wish more people would show up though. They really could be very great.

Also I have rode the north loop a lot but I still get lost/confused going through there (one of those newbies Jake was talking about).

Lastly I agree on the log pile stuff. Because of the lack of exposure I built a small trail in my woods (it is actually kinda neat just needs some more work).

Link to post about said trail http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90204
spwrozek

Postby spwrozek » May 19th, 2009, 9:47 am

From the CCC website. this really seems to be the issue...

"In designing the trails, we must operate within certain limitations and constraints. We have an agreement in place with the Park and there are legal issues to consider. Our agreement with the Park stipulates that there be no bike races/time trials and that the trails not become MMBA sponsored trails. The higher trail traffic that designation would generate and the increased likelihood of someone being hurt on the trails are results the Park does not want. In addition, the negative publicity from an accident would be undesirable. Any of those things by itself or in combination would probably result in the trails being closed. That is a result none of us want. "

So to me it seems that they don't really want us to be riding there at all... (the city/park...not so much the CCC, although they are a road block imo). It just seems silly that they don't want more people to use the system. Then we get an article in the paper and it makes me think that there is a reason the picture was of a lady walking and not of people riding bikes. It seems contradicting.
spwrozek

Postby jake » May 19th, 2009, 12:27 pm

From the CCC website. this really seems to be the issue...

"In designing the trails, we must operate within certain limitations and constraints. We have an agreement in place with the Park and there are legal issues to consider. Our agreement with the Park stipulates that there be no bike races/time trials and that the trails not become MMBA sponsored trails. The higher trail traffic that designation would generate and the increased likelihood of someone being hurt on the trails are results the Park does not want. In addition, the negative publicity from an accident would be undesirable. Any of those things by itself or in combination would probably result in the trails being closed. That is a result none of us want. "

So to me it seems that they don't really want us to be riding there at all... (the city/park...not so much the CCC, although they are a road block imo). It just seems silly that they don't want more people to use the system. Then we get an article in the paper and it makes me think that there is a reason the picture was of a lady walking and not of people riding bikes. It seems contradicting.

There is so much more to this... The story is way to deep to begin to explain here. The park is NOT the problem though. The wording of that agreement makes me laugh everytime I see it.
jake

Postby spwrozek » May 19th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Ah, ya I sure don't know all the ins and outs, only what I have read and heard from you. Well if there is something that we can do to get things turned around let me know. We missed ya at the ride last night (5 people there)...the article got brought up, we also saw another group of riders (3 people) who didn't want to ride with us and some people walking the trails who also mentioned the article.

If the park is not the problem and they are the owners there must be some way to get them to give the CCC the boot and allow MMBA in. You think we could prove it is for the better with all the other trails as examples and the amount of resources that could be pulled in. Just let me know if there is anything we can do.
spwrozek

Postby dime86 » May 20th, 2009, 1:08 pm

This is depressing. I live in Jackson and have ridden the Ella Sharp trails several times. They definitely have potential and could be very fun with the right attention. Right now I'd rather drive to AA, Poto, or Maybury.
I would much rather stay in Jackson and keep my money there if possible.
The group ride sounds like a good thing to show up for one of these days. Soon hopefully.
dime86

Postby spwrozek » May 20th, 2009, 2:01 pm

You should come out for sure. It is a pretty nice ride. It is no drop so it can be slowish or fast. The nice thing is that a fast group can ride pretty hard and then wait at the trail head for a slower group to finish since all the trails are short sections.

Another place I want to hit up some more is Heritage in Adrian. A fun trail. It would be cool to get a group to go down there once every couple weeks (Wednesday nights would be great). If you want to ride ella sharp sometime hit me with a pm I am free most nights.
spwrozek

Postby dime86 » May 20th, 2009, 2:53 pm

spwrozek wrote:You should come out for sure. It is a pretty nice ride. It is no drop so it can be slowish or fast. The nice thing is that a fast group can ride pretty hard and then wait at the trail head for a slower group to finish since all the trails are short sections.

Another place I want to hit up some more is Heritage in Adrian. A fun trail. It would be cool to get a group to go down there once every couple weeks (Wednesday nights would be great). If you want to ride ella sharp sometime hit me with a pm I am free most nights.

I'd like to check out Heritage as well sometime.
Will PM when heading out to ES next.
dime86

Postby spwrozek » June 23rd, 2009, 9:58 am

Good ride last night. The whole team? was out from OTW which was cool and kinda intimidating. I destroyed myself on the probert loop :( pretty sweet crash really. Lots of blood and a torn jersey, woo!

The trails need some work though. Museum, probert, schoolhouse, golf, hedge row all need trimming and tree removal. North was good but there was a huge pile of trees down which you had to get off and walk a ways around.

If anyone wants to set up a trail day after work sometime maybe we can get out there and take care of some of the better trails (school house, hedge row, probert, north...).

Let me know what anyone thinks.
spwrozek

Postby Bcar » June 30th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Is there a group ride at ella sharp? details? a good buddy of mine is riding there tonight, but he's never ridden there before.
thanks!
Bcar

Postby jake » June 30th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Group rides are Mondays at 6 00pm. Meet at the museum parking lot.
jake

Postby spwrozek » July 17th, 2009, 7:05 pm

could use some trimming. Some mad face slappers with thorns. It was a good ride as usual though.
spwrozek

Postby spwrozek » July 21st, 2009, 8:49 am

Thanks to whoever trimmed schoolhouse, hedgerow, and driving range.
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » July 23rd, 2009, 11:34 am

Hi to all. I have been riding the Sharp trails for about a month and a half now. Just got back into mountain biking after about a 12 year absence. I usually ride those trails (up to 2 times around) and the Falling Waters trail to Concord. Fairly good workout, but like many have said, could use improvement. Though I am not complaining in any way because it's a rarity to even find trails like this in the city. I live about a mile away from Ella Sharp and 1/4 mile from the intercity trail. Very nice.

I usually don't have a set time of when I go out. Like today, we just had a nice rain and I will be hitting the trails soon. I love getting muddy, lol.

Now question that always has boggled my mind is why I ever stopped mountain biking.

Well, hope to see some of you on the trails.
Laser4G63

Postby plunderspunk » July 23rd, 2009, 2:00 pm

Hey laser, welcome to the board! I live in Eaton Rapids, not too far up the road from you. jake is the guy you want to talk with about setting up some trail volunteering to improve trails. C'mon up to Lansing and ride Burchfield sometime, I think you would really enjoy that trail also!
Mountainbiking is a great way to stay in shape and get into the great outdoors! Don't know if you have any kids or what, but it's also something you can do as a family! (that way you're all together anyways when one of you have to go to the hospital!)
Cheers,
Bill
plunderspunk

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions