Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Laser4G63 » July 25th, 2009, 9:11 am

Thanks! No, no kids, but we bought a bike for my wife earlier this month and we've been doing some riding. She is loving it. We will be going on vacation the beginning of Aug and riding a couple trails in Ogemaw (Rifle River and Ogemaw Hills) as well as going over to Grand Traverse and riding the VASA and several other trails over there. You're right about getting in shape, I have lost over 14 lbs. since I started riding. I think I will be hammering the trails and the paths this year and possibly do some races next season. I did the Iceman when I lived in Traverse City back in the mid 90's and that was a blast. Over this coming winter I will be upgrading the components on the bike so it will be a little lighter for racing.

I will have to try and make it up to that trail. Not too far from here.
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 12th, 2009, 8:29 am

How are the trail conditions at Sharp? Anyone ride there recently? I've been away for a couple weeks so just looking for an update on the trails there.
Laser4G63

Postby jake » August 12th, 2009, 9:50 am

There is a tree down on the North section along the river just before the return bridge. There was also a lot of debris all over the place. We cleared some of the trail as we were riding though.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » August 16th, 2009, 8:38 am

I rode the trails yesterday and there was a couple trees down around the 3-4 trails. Other than that and some overgrowth, they were great.
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 18th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Now there's a tree down on the museum trail. Other than that and the other 2 trees, the trails were OK today.

Also, what is up with all the glass on the trails? Punks trying to be smart asses or something? I cleared a whole lot of it off the north trail.
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » August 19th, 2009, 7:26 am

That is what you get in Jackson and it being a city park.

People need to be careful out there since there are a few more head hunters. After each storm they seem to lean more and get closer to taking people out. I hit my head hard on the North on Monday. We probably need to have a trail day out there and take care of some of that stuff and trim the trail.

Also who is building the bandit log piles? This sort of activity is not allowed by the park/city as last I knew. So if you see who is doing it please ask them to stop so we don't run into a confrontation with the park. Also they need to learn how to build a bit better of a log pile because they both seem pretty shotty and dangerous.
spwrozek

Postby jake » August 19th, 2009, 8:31 am

Depending upon the weather I am going to try and go out this weekend and do a little trail work. I would like to at the very least clear the trees, but I was hoping to cut back some of those head hunters too.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » August 20th, 2009, 8:35 am

I seen someone clearing the 2 downed trees on the 3-4 trails my first time around and were gone on my 2nd time around the trails yesterday. I did see a person walking away from the museum trail with a chainsaw, but that tree wasn't cleared either time I rode that trail. So, I am not sure if that tree is still there or not.
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 30th, 2009, 3:44 pm

There is part of a tree blocking the 'Y' at the tunnel trail. Trails were pretty good today and seen a lot of riders on the trails.
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » September 22nd, 2009, 2:34 pm

Who is building the wood piles and jumps on the trails? Is that even allowed in there?
Laser4G63

Postby jake » September 22nd, 2009, 6:26 pm

Those log piles are really poorly built and most of them are in bad spots. I am not sure who is building them. Typically, the EP trail nazi's would remove them, but I am assuming that since they are tucked out of the way they are not worried about them. Anything on the main trail would have been removed by now.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » October 25th, 2009, 10:10 am

Has anyone been on the trails lately? I would like to try them with my new fork next week and would like any info on down trees, etc. Thanks.
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » October 26th, 2009, 7:52 am

Laser4G63 wrote:Has anyone been on the trails lately? I would like to try them with my new fork next week and would like any info on down trees, etc. Thanks.

I rode last monday. A lot of leaves are down but it was in good shape. North loop had a whole bunch of sticks down as well so watch out on that one. We got a whole bunch of rain though so not sure on the conditions now.
spwrozek

Postby spwrozek » October 27th, 2009, 9:14 am

I rode yesterday. Lots of leaves down. North loop has a bunch of derailleur killers on it. I also had the joy of riding through a huge pile of dog/human *beep*... it was gross. My bike had crap all over it. I was pretty *beep*...
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » October 28th, 2009, 9:41 am

Nice! I ran through some dog doo on the bike path to Concord. I love how people don't clean up after their pets on there. My fork will be here today and it's suppose to be nice later, so I will be riding some of the trails then. Thanks for the heads up.
Laser4G63

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions