Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

trail day: Thanks

Postby shaner » July 2nd, 2008, 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the hard work clearing the trail... looks like it took an awful lot of mowing!!

Was able to get a few laps in before the rain today :) The trail is really rideable after that trail day. Sorry I wasn't able to help... out of town visiting the in-laws.
shaner

Postby bleve » August 7th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I don't know if this is a known problem but there is a pretty good sized tree down across the trail on the section near the RR tracks. It appears to be fairly recent as there's no unoffcial reroute around it yet. I wish I could give a better location but I was actually canoeing from Saranac up to the canoe landing and we landed to see if we were close to the park yet and I came across the trail and tried to find a marker to tell how far away we were. I haven't ridden here in three months so my memory is pretty fuzzy on this trail but I'd say it's probably in the last mile and a half before you turn around and start heading back along the road.
bleve

Postby Special Goodness » August 8th, 2008, 6:27 am

Thanks bleve, I'll look into it tonight and we'll take care of it at the trailday this Sunday.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Trail Conditions

Postby gtrowbridge » October 28th, 2008, 10:03 am

Rode the east loop and center loop yesterday through sun, rain, and snow.
Trail was muddy and parts covered with leaves...quite slick. Had to lock up the brakes several times to get things back under control. Didn't stop me from bouncing off a few trees and rocks though. Had to unclip a one foot a couple of times just to push off things and get me back in the track while still moving. Still a great time cause I didn't break anything!

I haven't ridden this trail in forever. Wow what great improvements!! The first half of the east loop might as well be a cobblestone road. Wow that's rough. Especially for me riding my Trek 800 hardtail (circa 1992). I'm determined to get back into riding and this ride pretty much solidified getting a full suspension bike. That 3ft rock jump in second half of the middle loop took me by surprise. I wasn't prepared for that so I locked it up and rock crawled over it. Next time I'll be ready!

I totally relate to the hardships of trail maintenance. I created my own two mile trail on my property three years ago. The number of trees, or parts of trees, that come down every year is daunting in its own right, not to mention the mowing back of the weeds. Luckily I have made the my trail wide enough to run my John Deere rider down. :-)

I saw a few trail issues yesterday.
One was a few small branches down that don't stop your momentum (unless it gets caught in your spokes like the one did to me, seriously how does that happen?).
The other is a stopper though. There is a tree down across the trail just before you return to the trail head. No getting over it except to unclip and lift the bike over. If I'd had my chainsaw with me I would have run it through.

Overall a great trail and I'm looking forward to making it a regular on my list. Now I'm off to the Cincinnati area for work(yuck) and to try out some of their trails (yeah!). I guess there is some benefit to traveling for work.
gtrowbridge

where's the trail?!

Postby schminke » November 10th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Great ride yesterday while the snow was flying. A couple of bow hunters around or the smaller loops and some shooting in the distance- so wear your orange. Trail was in very good shape. There are lots of leaves down for the first 3 mi, so it's easy to drive off the trail!.
schminke

Re: where's the trail?!

Postby gtrowbridge » November 10th, 2008, 9:53 pm

schminke wrote:Great ride yesterday while the snow was flying. A couple of bow hunters around or the smaller loops and some shooting in the distance- so wear your orange. Trail was in very good shape. There are lots of leaves down for the first 3 mi, so it's easy to drive off the trail!.

did the trail again on Friday and it was awesome on my new full suspension bike. Yeah the leaves were so thick there were several times on the river side that I just went off the trail because it all looked the same (you could probably see where the locked up tires dragged through before I hit a tree...or two...or three) LOL!

How did you like the dead trees down along the river side? They are new from the last time I rode. I found them frustrating because they ruined my momentum. My bunny hop is terrible and at least one of them would require a 8 or 10 ft hop because the tree has multiple limbs across the trail. They would make great log jumps or something if sliced and diced a bit. I think that side could use a few more of those. There is one big oak tree (?) that came down that blocks the trail and someone made a log crossing out of part of it, but you don't see it until you are right up to the tree and stopped. I can see that being something someday, but the path to the log crossing is too narrow and sharp to be able to hit it at any speed right now.

Did you see my rock pile marker that I made just before that big rock jump? Yeah after I couldn't remember where it was and wasn't prepared to hit it, I did a nose dive on it but managed to stay clipped in and upright (my new Trek Fuel rules!). I went back and built a little stone pile up the hill from with rocks that I found off trail so I would remember it next time. I'm going to stick that landing next time.

G
gtrowbridge

Postby plunderspunk » November 11th, 2008, 8:13 am

Trek Fuel is a nice bike...a bit more bike than I need for most of the trails around here, but comfort is the key, and the all mt rims and tires pretty much take care of the obstacles...gotzta git to Ionia sometime, sounds like a blast.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby gtrowbridge » November 11th, 2008, 11:32 am

Yeah I was upgrading from a Trek 800 Mountain Track circa '92.
Ionia is not real technical, but it is quite fast.
gtrowbridge

Re: Mid-State: Ionia

Postby walkemst » March 24th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Has anybody been to Ionia? Is so, how are the trail conditions??
walkemst

Postby ReidRules18 » March 24th, 2009, 4:33 pm

How is this trail marked? I have never made it out there and am trying to expand upon my trail riding within the Grand Rapids area other than the staple game area and Yankee. I haven't ever done it, and if I go out there alone I don't want to end up lost. Thanks in advance.
ReidRules18

Postby Special Goodness » March 24th, 2009, 4:42 pm

ReidRules18 wrote:How is this trail marked? I have never made it out there and am trying to expand upon my trail riding within the Grand Rapids area other than the staple game area and Yankee. I haven't ever done it, and if I go out there alone I don't want to end up lost. Thanks in advance.
If you can find the actual trail head you wont/can't get lost. The trail is probably 60% wet right now and it takes it a while to dry out, but I haven't been out there yet this year.

Map

Hungerford is very nice too.
Special Goodness

Postby John_H » April 10th, 2009, 10:18 am

Anyone been out there for trail conditions? Should we list it as open yet?
John_H

Postby Special Goodness » April 10th, 2009, 12:24 pm

I haven't actually been on the trail, but I've looked at it from the road. I'd put money on the east loop being pretty damp. I'd give it another week, but I know people have been out riding on it.
Special Goodness

Postby bleve » May 4th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Not looking here to see the avoid marking I was out at the State Rec Area Sunday and took my bike out for a spin. I figured I'd skip the east loop as being flooded and started on the west loop. Coming down from the parking lot and heading back west I encountered several seasonal creeks that were as much as a foot deep. I then got into the first part of the woods and it was completely flooded so I headed back up to the parking lot. I then rode down the dirt road that leads to the canoe landing at the river and jumped on the trail there. From there on the trail was in pretty good shape. There were about a half dozen muddy spots, nothing serious, no standing water. Hopefully it will dry out completely soon, but if you avoid the first half mile or so you can get a decent ride in.
bleve

Postby bleve » May 6th, 2009, 9:44 pm

I forgot to mention, check for ticks!!! I think I got most of them walking my dog near the lake, but I flicked off probably twenty. Two had already attached themselves and needed tweezers to come off.
bleve

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions