Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: ionia reroute?

Postby Special Goodness » September 5th, 2007, 4:23 pm

brie_boy wrote:Why did they reverse the small loop direction at Ionia? How long has it been routed this way?
Rode it yesterday and I am not in favor of the change. It just does not flow very well.
I think trails are typically designed to be ridden one direction and this trail is definitely one of them.
Who would have changed it; DNR or MMBA or ?
I started wondering if some smart *beep* had just switched the signs!

The MMBA did it.

Give it a couple more runs and it'll grow on you. I HATED it at first, but I think it's an improvement overall. Some of the corners need work, but that's what trail days are for. If you still don't like the changes after a couple more tries, let Dennis Murphy or Guy Buckingham know.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Postby unabomber » September 15th, 2007, 7:00 pm

I had not been to ride here in almost a year, The trail is in awesome shape,the trim job looks good, and everything seemed to flow very nicely. Nice work guys. I forgot how much fun this trail is to ride, We did 2 laps on both loops, hope I can get back again before snow flies.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"Bob Dylan"
unabomber

Postby brie_boy » September 25th, 2007, 7:42 am

The MMBA did it.

Give it a couple more runs and it'll grow on you. I HATED it at first, but I think it's an improvement overall. Some of the corners need work, but that's what trail days are for. If you still don't like the changes after a couple more tries, let Dennis Murphy or Guy Buckingham know.[/quote]

Well, I have given it a couple more runs and though I really enjoy the original direction more, it is fun. The area down near the bridge along the creek is very fast and I think it is easier to get through the rough areas on the East side this way.
I have to admit that this is one of my favorite trails in the area and just can't understand why more people do not ride there. Sure, it isn't free like the SGA or Cannonsburg, but if you buy a park pass for the year, you don't have to give the cost a second thought.
My biggest beef here (and elsewhere too) is why can't we expand the existing trails to include new loops and add distance when there is so much land available. I am all in favor if limiting impact on the environment and understand that DNR budgets are stretched, but come on. A little sweat equity and some planning, there could be a longer, more exciting trail. And given the very low usage compared to SGA and Cannonsburg, erosion and damage issues are not even a factor.
I helped to build this trail originally, as well as the later second loop and am amazed that in all of the time since, very little has changed. We are starved for accessible trails in this area and with an abundance of available land, I just cannot understand why the trail network on the West side of the state is so stagnant.
Sorry about the rant!
Have a good time, all the time!
~Viv Savage
brie_boy

Postby Special Goodness » September 25th, 2007, 8:33 pm

brie_boy wrote:...why can't we expand the existing trails to include new loops and add distance when there is so much land available.

We can...but...first we (the Western MMBA) have to show the DNR that we can maintain what we already have. The direction change on the east loop, the trimming, and the general cleanup are the first steps of this process. There are plans and ideas for expansion, but they are all still in the planning process. If you have ideas for this trail or if you want to help make it better, the best thing you can do is talk with Guy Buckingham. He's been doing the day to day cleanup by himself. Guy is the man...if you didn't already know.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
Special Goodness

Postby mtbyker » January 17th, 2008, 9:07 pm

I hadn't been to Ionia Rec. Area in quite a while, so I went! Figured the snow would be a little lighter there and was hoping for mostly frozen ground. There was less snow, the majority of the trail was clear, but some sections were a little muddy. But some sections were really nice as well, especially on the big loop, almost the entire 6 mile piece was great riding. With the forcasted cold temps it should be nice riding again soon.....
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby underdog » March 17th, 2008, 8:32 am

I hoping to get out there this weekend and at least walk it to see what condition it's in. I figured a ride wouldn't be a good idea as it's starting to thaw out. Unfortunealy a family emergency held me from going. I hope to at least walk the big loop during this week so I'll let you all know what I find. 8)
underdog

Postby mtbyker » March 18th, 2008, 10:24 am

My dad went and checked it out Sunday, too much snow yet.....
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby underdog » March 18th, 2008, 10:58 am

I happened to drive by on Monday and looking out over portions of it...the trail appeared to have snow on the path in many areas. Hopfully the rain will get rid of the rest. I'll be contacting Guy next week to discuss things.
underdog

Postby Special Goodness » April 5th, 2008, 4:54 pm

The west loop is pretty good, even right under the parking area. The east loop should be avoided.
Special Goodness

Postby underdog » April 7th, 2008, 8:19 am

Thanks for the update. I will have my new eggbeaters on wednesday and plan on going soon.
underdog

West Loop Dry

Postby floomp » April 7th, 2008, 9:58 am

Rode west loop Sunday (April 7) in the afternoon and found it all in good shape.
Ride the rut.
floomp

Postby Special Goodness » April 7th, 2008, 7:33 pm

underdog wrote:Thanks for the update. I will have my new eggbeaters on wednesday and plan on going soon.

Do you know about the Wednesday night ride put on by Dan's Bike Shop in Ionia? I'm guessing that we'll be riding the trail this week. We should be starting around 7:30ish, or show up at the bike shop just before 7 and meet everybody. The ride tends to be slowish, but it's not a no drop. Most reasonably fit riders should be able to keep up.
Special Goodness

Postby underdog » April 19th, 2008, 7:48 am

No I didn't know they did that. I'll keep that in mind on Wednesday's, thanks
underdog

Retoutes

Postby guyb » April 30th, 2008, 9:50 am

The trail has been rerouted, in the small loop, from the creek and most of the lowlands. There should be less muck to ride through and sediment going into the trout stream.
guyb

Postby MrSingleTrack » May 12th, 2008, 11:40 am

Lexicus and I did a couple laps Saturday AM. The trail was dry and in great shape then, should be a fun race this Wednesday, hopefully the rain will miss. Mosquitos are already trying to take the place over - bring your bug spray.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-- Mark Twain
MrSingleTrack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions