Northern: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Dennis Bauer » February 9th, 2006, 8:04 am

Rode parts of the trail yesterday. Very little snow in most places. Low areas had ice. Clear the larger blow downs that I could by hand. Surprised that we were the first bikes on the trail after the recent snow.
Dennis Bauer

blow downs and signage

Postby dirtpo » February 9th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Hey Dennis, it's good to know you are out there. I wish I knew everybody's tire tracks so I could ID riders like it was CSI Midland. Are there blowdowns that need my chainsaw? If so, give the location. We've made 4-5 new log piles to ride over in the last year, but some just need to be cut. I got a couple last month.

I noticed on my last post that we still needed a directional sign for the "dry way" on the detour in the dismal swamp part of the south loop. There is a sign there now, as well as maps posted at loop and connector intersections. Unfortunately, vandals got the map at the trail head. Arrows show the suggested direction of travel :arrow: If you're not going that way, yield. :shock: Also, the 2 big bridges over the creek have been covered with rolled roofing -- Dennis Hansen's idea -- boy is that a great cheap cure for slippery-when-wet treated lumber :D

I'll get another load of gravel to spread around before the spring race, and I'm contemplating a broken concrete fix for the steeps next to the east bridge :idea: Will need strong backs to help on that one.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby Dennis Bauer » February 10th, 2006, 8:07 am

Did not do the entire trail took the first bridge on the north loop to the south loop. Did the first section of the Gnu loop to the first large two track then looped back to the south loop. Was one blow down on the south loop before the east bridge. I am thinking of going out again next Thursday 16Feb06 around 2:30p. If there is enough logs around that would make a nice log pile. Could probably hop it if you had enough speed. If the weather holds may try to ride the entire trail on Thursday. Looking forward to the spring race. Am going to skip the Custer Stampede to be at City Forest.
Dennis Bauer

A bad day riding beats a good day working

Postby dirtpo » March 25th, 2006, 7:31 pm

:) Man was it great to be out today! -- even with sleet coming in my helmet vents! My ever-evolving Stumpjumper remembers most of the moves. But, there are some pretty wet areas that should be avoided for the time being: the north end of the north-bound Gnu Loop and the "dismal swamp" -- basically the north-bound South Loop. The creekside sections are in pretty good shape. All our gravel and minibridges have paid off. I would suggest that you ride the South Loop to the Gnu Loop connector, ride the north bound Gnu to the first 2-track north of the Boy Scout bridge, take that 2-track a 100 yds or so west to the south-bound Gnu and ride that backwards up to the hairpin at the north end. From there, jump back onto the South Loop. Be careful at the approach to the East Bridge. We will be armoring this steep rooty pitch at the work party on April 30, 1:00 pm. We picked up broken concrete this week -- great stuff -- poor man's flagstone (free) -- to do the "Appalachian armoring." If it works as well as I think it will, we'll use it in several places around the trail.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Midland City Forest trail conditions

Postby dirtpo » April 11th, 2006, 10:43 am

I tried to ride my trail from home to the MCF last night, but the creek was still over the top of my bridge, and all the ground was still wet from the big rain last Friday. :( Given that, I'm sure the trail is still wet too. If we don't get too much more water this week, most of the trail should be OK by the weekend :) Maybe. Please stay out of the dismal swamp and north end of the northbound Gnu loop for the time being. Luckily, they aren't enforcing the load limits, so I can still ride the roads! :wink:
Dirtpo

dirtpo

Postby Sculpin » May 16th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Rideable, but after four or five days of rain, there is some standing water in low spots. Might be best for the trail to avoid for awhile.
Sculpin

permission required to chainsaw?

Postby cabbithunt » May 21st, 2006, 10:58 pm

I rode the city forest trails for the first time (ever) today. I still can't get this silly grin off my face. I really enjoyed the teeter totter thing, the log ride, and the long snaky bridge over the water. Trails were in pretty good shape, though there was a little bit of water in spots.

There is a down tree that is blocking the North end of the gnu loop. I would like to come back with my chainsaw and do some slicing on it. Do I need to contact anyone for permission or can I just slip in there and take care of it?
cabbithunt

Re: permission required to chainsaw?

Postby DF Bernard » May 28th, 2006, 8:05 pm

cabbithunt wrote:There is a down tree that is blocking the North end of the gnu loop. I would like to come back with my chainsaw and do some slicing on it. Do I need to contact anyone for permission or can I just slip in there and take care of it?

Send a PM to Dirtpo - that's Jim Crissman - MCF trail coordinator. If he hasn't gotten to it yet, he'll take care of it. Best not to take a chain saw out there without the permission of the city parks folks. Jim has a key to the place, and can pretty much do as he sees best.

Glad you enjoyed the trail! It's even better when it's all dry.

Ride on!

~D
Daryl Bernard
Trail Coordinator - Pine Haven Recreation Area

Keep singletrack SINGLE - don't ride wide!
DF Bernard

Postby Dennis Bauer » May 30th, 2006, 7:53 am

Rode the trail yesterday. Very muddy in spots so stuck to the higher routes. Had a newbie with me and he enjoyed it. I would recommend avoiding the swamp all together as you will only damage the trail.
Dennis Bauer

midland city forest

Postby dirtpo » May 30th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Hey, I found the trees -- one on the Gnu loop hairpin and one just before the jump on the south loop. They're outta there. Also did 5-6 hrs of gravel and stone work over the weekend. Lots left to do -- and we got a bucket of rain tonight. It would be best to let it dry out until the weekend. Dirtpo
Dirtpo

dirtpo

Postby Dennis Bauer » June 19th, 2006, 6:47 am

Rode the entire trail yesterday. In excellent shape, just a few tacky spots.
Dennis Bauer

Postby volklgirl » June 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

Any suggestions on loops/areas to avoid for beg/int riders? Which loops are LEAST challenging?
volklgirl

Great Place

Postby stealthfish » June 30th, 2006, 10:07 am

I am from southeast Michigan and have a cottage in Farwell about 25 minutes from MCF. I rode this place last weekend for a change of scenry. I was very impressed. the people that did the work here deserve a pat on the back. I will definatly be back everytime I am up north. if you are beginner I would recommed stying on the blue trail. if you park at the trailhead stay right and you will pick it up. The trail is very clearly marked. if your going over the ramp on the downed tree make sure you got your speed up. I went back a second time, was trying to take a picture at the same time and me and my bike enjoyed the 3 foot fall when I could not click out quick enough.

I rode all three loops, and enjoyed it all. it offers a great variety for all levels of rider.

dont ride and take pictures, its bad idea.
My Fleet
2009 Specialized S-Works Carbon HT
2008 Specialized Roubaix Compact
2009 Gary Fisher Custom SS
stealthfish

Cudos and lost computer

Postby volklgirl » July 3rd, 2006, 12:46 pm

Huge Thank You's to the MCF trail crew!! We finally got to ride the entirety of all three loops....they're a great mix of flow, challenge, and stunts. Plus, they're really well marked and maintained.

A suggestion, though: new comers to the trail would really appreciate 'commit/bail' marking (like the up-and-over and the teeter) of the remainder of the stunts like the long log ride, the double log piles in the swamp and the log pile-drop jump combo to give us time to set up for them.

Hubby managed to lose a Cateye Velo 2 computer on Sunday. We know he had it at Boy Scout Bridge, but not at the East Ridge Bridge. It could be anywhere on Gnu from the BSB or on South Loop from the Gnu connector to the East Ridge Bridge, but he's pretty sure he still had it when we got onto South Loop. If anyone finds it, please PM me.
volklgirl

MCF trail suggestions

Postby dirtpo » July 3rd, 2006, 3:40 pm

Voklgirl asked easiest route: That would be a big circle of the north and south loops, skipping the creekside sections of each. So, start on the nort loop, cross at the west bridge, continue on the south loop, and cross back on the east bridge. There is still the teeter-totter and some log piles and the up-and-over, but all can be ridden around.

The trail is in great shape. The big rains have mostly missed us. We've added a lot of broken concrete on a couple of climbs and a bunch of mud holes. The fix is permanent -- I love that. But there is always more to do. I may do a little tomorrow, I hear there is a tree down on the south loop near mile marker 3. I'll get it soon.

If you see horses on the single track, ask them to leave. The belong on the 2-track only. :x
Dirtpo

dirtpo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions