CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Ruby Campground

Postby gen-xer » July 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Hey xycarp.... I plan to be out there for a few loops earlier. I start around 6ish, but will be glad to give ya the nickle tour at 7:30 for a loop. I rode today( Saturday) and the trail is in Good shape even with the rain that hit the past few days.

I will PM you my cell if needed.
gen-xer

Postby xycarp » July 22nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

We rode Ruby today for the first time. Had a great time... Fun and nicely maintained trail. We ended up getting there a bit later than expected so we missed our planned guided tour. Three guys we met in the parking lot quickly volunteered to take us around. I didn't get there names, but thanks it helped a ton.

We also had a quick chat with the owner after our ride. He came over to help us make fun of our one friend who scuffed up his arm a bit. Nice guy. :)

Overall a nice experience. :)
xycarp

Postby lucban » August 19th, 2012, 4:28 pm

We rode the trail today for Ruby 50 miles endu race. This trail is fun and nice. Well maintain and the single track flow is just simply great!! Kudos to all Who made this trail and maintaining it!! Plus the river crossings is one of a kind. We'll definitely be back!!!
lucban

Postby muttonmark » September 2nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

I rode this on Aug 3rd, really liked the trail, except wish I would've gone with someone who knew where they were going. Somehow, I got turned around and back tracked at the top of the "Hill" between the two river crossings. As I got to the bottom of a downhill run, I realized that I had climbed up that part of the trail a few minutes prior. So I climbed it again, and ended up getting turned around again. So I followed it all back. Fun trail though.
muttonmark

Re: CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

Postby mikesathome2 » June 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm

I was able to ride about half the trail today. Very little mud and no puddles. The river crossings were not a no go as water was running fast, high and strong. I was lucky enough to get a tour from one of the local trail guys (sorry forgot your name) it's definitely a awesome built trail and worth a few loops if in the area. I was beat from 5 miles of SUPing on Lake Huron in 3 foot waves so I could only muster up 3miles of trail.Image Some serious up down and switch backs await. I will return this summer. $2 park fee in drop box.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
mikesathome2

Postby cjn1014 » October 9th, 2013, 10:02 pm

bisco's is an entertainment hotspot, of sorts, in beautiful downtown emmett. not quite the sarnia ballet, if you will.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby DallasW » April 23rd, 2014, 6:24 am

Ah, sorry to have missed it. I'm actually from Sarnia, ON. Not much for good riding on the Canadian side so I'm planning to venture into MI a lot this summer.
DallasW

Postby Roy » June 7th, 2014, 6:07 am

Dude, don't do Ruby - after a heavy rain - most of the trail accessed by crossing a river - no bridge
check with locals first
flood gage up stream link, might help save you gas money
click on square green mark just west of Port Huron.
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=dtx

Roy
Roy

Postby jrkettle » May 22nd, 2015, 2:37 pm

Anyone have an update on the trail conditions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jrkettle

Postby Dell18 » July 2nd, 2017, 11:06 pm

No posts here in quite some time. I've been away for awhile. Is Ruby still rideable? Is anybody doing any trail work out there? I'm sure if it gets too neglected it'll be reclaimed by nature quickly. If anyone is doing trail work, I'm sure I could find time. I'm no use with a chainsaw, but I have a weed wacker and a electric shrub trimmer thing plus manual hedge trimmers. I'm about an hour away but it's a place I don't want to see disappear if it hasn't already.
Dell18

Postby Siccus » August 30th, 2017, 7:22 pm

I'm thinking of riding this trail for the first time this weekend. How is it these days? Still rideable?
Siccus

Postby WICCMB » August 31st, 2017, 9:39 am

Not sure how the trail will be after the rain we've had....the trail is in a flood plain right along a river after all. However, reports from the past few weeks are that the trail on the far side of the river has been neglected this year, and is overgrown with several trees down. The trail on this side of the river is in good shape.

If you ride, please report back here.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Siccus » August 31st, 2017, 9:59 am

Okay, thanks for the update. I think my plans have changed and I won't be in that area after all, but if I do ride I will post a condition update.
Siccus

Postby UncleJohn » September 4th, 2017, 9:06 am

According to a post on Ruby's FB Page, the back half is still in need of attention. Sad as I would like to ride the whole trail for the Triple Chapter Challenge.

Eric Kirk (4/5 Stars)
· August 19, 2017
I only experienced the MTB trails and did not stay at the camp but the staff was nice and helpful when we arrived and it was only a $2 pass per person for parking and trail access. Well worth it as the trails were technical, fun and unlike any other trail system in SE Michigan. I particularly liked the segment were you had to ride your bike across Mill Creek to pick up the singletrack on the other side. Would have given a 5* rating but back 1.5 miles of the trail were overgrown with picker bushes and full of down trees. Otherwise great experience and beautiful area.
UncleJohn

Postby nwilke » September 4th, 2017, 9:21 pm

I rode Ruby on 8/25/2017, WICCMB is correct about the trail conditions: good on campground side, not as good across the river. I took a paper copy of the map which came in handy in a few places to find my way. The river wasn't too high to cross although deep enough to get my feet wet. I could follow the whole trail, but it was overgrown near the river and I had to cross a few dozen (or more) down trees. The trail was a ton of fun, I'd like to visit and ride again. I will have to keep an eye here and on Facebook to see if there is a trail day and pitch in to help clean it up.
nwilke

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions