SE Michigan: Rail-trails & pathways

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

SE Michigan: Rail-trails & pathways

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 9:00 am

Post trail conditions for the rail-trails and pathways in Southeast Michigan,e.g. Paint Creek, Polly Ann, Clinton River, West Bloomfield and Huron Valley trails

(mod edit - note that the Lakelands rail trail in the Potawatomi Chapter now has it's own topic)
Todd Scott

Postby Mr.B » March 25th, 2004, 4:33 pm

Rode from D-19 trail head just past Gregory and Trail is very Dry
there is a tree down across the trail .02 miles past airport ( just after you cross M-36) it is clearable unless you brain fart like I did :oops:
Mr.B

Wadhams to Avoca Trail

Postby Larrythebiker » August 27th, 2005, 2:22 pm

Wadhams to Avoca Trail
http://www.stclaircounty.org/offices/parks/wadhams.asp

I checked out the Wadhams to Avoca Rail-Trail on August 26, 2005.
It is owned by the St. Clair County Parks and Recreation. On their website it says it is paved (asphalt) from Rattle Run Road in Wadhams to Lapeer Road, although I found it paved to Rynn Road. The rest of the way it is packed gravel or limestone. I was riding my road bike with thin tires so I did not got beyond that point (didn't want a flat.)

The trail is very well marked and maintained. There are signs on roads in the vicinity of the trail pointing out the trail and parking opportunities.

The highlight of the trail is a 645 foot trestle around the midway point.

After turing around at the end of the pavement, I rode on Abottsford Road, which is very lightly travelled, through Ruby to M-136 and onto Avoca.

In Avoca I spoke with the cashier at the Avoca market who said that there was some sort of huge horseback riding event on the trail the prior weekend with up to 100 riders by her count. She said she heard (didn't go down the trail herself) that the packed limestone was chopped up quite a bit by the horseback riders and was not very rideable. She also said it stunk from all of the horse manure too. She does not think the horseback riders cleaned up after themselves. She said local residents were very upset and would like to see horseback riding banned from the trail and have it paved all the way to Avoca.

A lesson here: even if this horseback group did indeed clean up after themselves, they left a bad impression by not communicating to the people they were effecting with their activities. We need to do the same.

A positive here: there is local support to actually pave and improve the trail when we are usually just lucky to have the trail as public not private inventory (Polly Ann Trail in Lapeer County.)
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Larrythebiker

Polly Ann

Postby Tony_Misovski » September 22nd, 2005, 6:23 am

Looks like the Polly Ann has a crushed Limestone surface from about 3/4 mile east of Lake George to Boardman. It is not packed down fully yet but it is definitely better than the original trail surface. The trail is about double the width of the PCT.
Tony_Misovski

Paint Creek trail is perfect for...

Postby Sofa King » February 6th, 2006, 10:10 am

...cross country skiing!!! Went on Sunday afternoon and it was beautiful. There is one set of tracks but a lot of footprints too. A little wider ski would be ideal! 8)
"Lose all the crap hanging off your bike!"

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Cycletherapy Racing
Sofa King

Postby PK » March 19th, 2006, 6:30 am

Paint Creek Trail.
We got out Friday 17MR06 around 8:00 PM.
The trail was firm and almost completely dry. It worked out to be a good night ride.
Pete
PK

Postby WICCMB » March 19th, 2006, 8:38 am

PK wrote:Paint Creek Trail.
We got out Friday 17MR06 around 8:00 PM.
The trail was firm and almost completely dry. It worked out to be a good night ride.
Pete

Wow.....I rode Paint Creek yesterday, and I wouldn't say that it was firm or completely dry at all. I found only isolated sections like that. Most of the trail was still somewhat soft, and there were stretches where it was still sloppy wet - namely the first half mile out of Rochester (use the park on the other side of the river to avoid this), and the section just before the cutoff trail that leads to Bald Moutain. Don't get me wrong, it's very rideable, but you're going to get dirty.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby PK » March 20th, 2006, 5:43 am

It must have been the time of day that we rode it. We went from end to end. It was dusk when we got to Rochester. We did a little "searching" for the driest line through the park in Rochester. It was only down to 30 degrees when we got back to our cars around 8:30. It must have been just cold enough to re-freeze the surface...My bike as just covered with dust when I looked at it Saturday AM.
Soryy if I mis-led anybody. (Ride early or late when it's below freezing?)
Pete
PK

More of the Macomb Orchard Trail paved

Postby Larrythebiker » November 20th, 2006, 11:03 pm

The Macomb Orchard Trail has been paved with asphalt last week from 29 Mile Road to M-53 (just northeast of 32 Mile Road in Romeo.) A fine limestone surface has been laid and rolled from Powell Road to Richmond.

I'm not sure if they have finished repairing/upgrading all of the bridges. I have not personally ridden the trail but I will sometime in the next few days. I will report any problems or closed sections.

With the exception of the overpass at M-53, it looks like most of the trail is completed and rideable by mountain bike!
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Larrythebiker

Postby almostolen » November 24th, 2006, 9:17 am

polly ann trail has limestone put down all the way from indianwood rd. in lk. orion to the lapeer county border. downtown oxford and leonard are paved and the bridge is open. however past the county border it's *beep*. sometimes it's mud, sometimes it's rocks, sometimes its sand. I rode to a road about 2 miles north of imlay city and back to lake orion.. 65 mile round trip. Imlay city is paved.. but the rest of lapeer county is horrible. I wouldn't recommend riding that far north.. stop in leonard
almostolen

Paint Creek / Clinton River trail conditions

Postby moregg » March 26th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Anyone been on Paint Creek or Clinton River today , How is it ??
moregg

Postby jclark07 » March 26th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Still some snow and ice here and there! I was on, a small area of Clinton river yesterday (Less then a .5 mile, by avon rd crossing). But it's getting there. Maybe if the temps would get up into the 50's it would open up. Here's to the waiting game....

Hopefully by next week! :cry:
http://cliplessclark.blogspot.com

I blame "mobilechimp", for all this!
jclark07

Postby moregg » March 26th, 2008, 3:14 pm

thanks ,

I hit to roads today
moregg

Postby jalopy jockey » April 5th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Paint creek had a few large Mud patches between the Gunn Rd bridge and Clarkston.

We turned around as soon as the little one used the facilities. would have turned back sooner, but we would have never made it back to Rochester.

And a large (6-8 ft long) ice patch in the shadow if the bridge. Not good with slicks :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
jalopy jockey

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 5th, 2008, 9:08 pm

I was on most of the PCT trail today and it is very much rideable. Very few wet spots but as noted, a few and the one ice/snow patch that has a line right through it.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Next

Return to Trail Conditions