SE Michigan: Rail-trails & pathways

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby jalopy jockey » April 6th, 2008, 7:18 am

Steve we encountered like 6 that we left 1/4 to 1/2 inch ruts. And the sheet of ice under the bridge had no way to avoid unless you left the trail.

I'll agree that it's very much ridable with a single bike with at least comfort tires. Kids in trailer swill get covered. I should have taken a pic.

We made it wit me pulling a train and she had trainer slicks on. a little squirmy. But it was messy.

Its the MOT today. If you have to ride the PCT you can do it but living at teh juction of PCT & MOT, we'll go another route.
jalopy jockey

Postby daisydog137 » April 6th, 2008, 11:28 am

I agree - the ruts on the clinton river trail right where it meets up with Paint creek are pretty bad. I'd say there's a 1/3 mile stretch that I wouldn't want to have my kids ride on their bikes. THere are also large ruts left by a motor vehicle through that area all the way to the Letica parking lot. What's up with that?
daisydog137

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 18th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Rode PCT this afternoon from LO to the cider mill. Seemed like solid ice under the snow plus frozen footprints. Consider it technical training and balance control but don't plan on going too fast. After the snow predicted for tonight it's probably a moot point anyway.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 30th, 2008, 2:00 pm

PCT is solid ice and very bumpy. I rode it from the cider mill up to Gunn. One or two spots were clear on the extreme edge.
Steve_Kinley

Postby jalopy jockey » December 30th, 2008, 9:32 pm

MOT & CRT look about the same. The Stony paved loop is nice though.

Though not for long though. Snows a coming.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 30th, 2008, 10:07 pm

MOT & CRT look about the same

I rode MOT from 29 to West Rd. There was a narrow clear section in the middle of the path along part of it but other sections were still icy. I took West over to Stony. Just before the park there was a big ice section.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 3rd, 2009, 3:38 pm

Rode PCT from Clarkston/Kern down to Silverbell. The heavy foot traffic has packed the surface enough to make it rideable, but bumpy, especially north of Adams. The toughest section was between the archery club and Adams where the snow was deeper and there had not been much traffic.

Between Adams and Gallagher there has been a truck that left pretty good tracks to ride in. There has also been more traffic. South of Gallagher it gets back to trying to find the smoothest line among the foot paths. It looked the same for south of Silverbell.

Overall the trail can be ridden, studs would help for those hidden ice spots.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Archangel6 » January 8th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:Rode PCT from Clarkston/Kern down to Silverbell. The heavy foot traffic has packed the surface enough to make it rideable, but bumpy, especially north of Adams. The toughest section was between the archery club and Adams where the snow was deeper and there had not been much traffic.

Between Adams and Gallagher there has been a truck that left pretty good tracks to ride in. There has also been more traffic. South of Gallagher it gets back to trying to find the smoothest line among the foot paths. It looked the same for south of Silverbell.

Overall the trail can be ridden, studs would help for those hidden ice spots.

I concur, I tried to ride south of Gallagher to downtown and had to jump off at Dutton, way too bumpy for, I almost lost my lunch. I keep hoping and trying though. Studs are good until about 1/2" of powder sets in then it's hairy :shock:
Archangel6

Re: Paint Creek / Clinton River trail conditions

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » March 3rd, 2009, 3:51 pm

Anyone ride this since the rain last week? Thinking of riding Rochester to BM, Addison and back tonite - would not mind returning on PCT if it is not a bumpy sheet of ice. Smooth Ice is OK.
TheyCallMeBruce

Postby 1trackmtber » March 3rd, 2009, 4:12 pm

I rode it today. It is rideable. But as you say, it is a bumpy sheet of ice with small, intermittent dirt sections. I jumped off on the dirt roads which are in good shape. So, go ride.
1trackmtber

Postby MRTbikeman » March 14th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Rode the Clinton River trail today from the Adams rd parking to the Macomb Orchard trail. It was really good with only a few small wet patches until about Rochester Rd. After that it was really soft and wet all the way to Dequindre. It's like riding in wet cement. I kept hoping it would improve as I went but it only got worse. Please consider this section as "Do not ride" for about a week. I found out on my return trip, you can bypass this section quite easily. I highly recommend doing so.

MT
MRTbikeman

Postby jalopy jockey » March 16th, 2009, 10:49 am

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=300+Diversion+St,+Rochester,+MI+48307&daddr=42.677261,-83.1323+to:Unknown+road+to:Parkdale+Ave+to:onyx+ice+arena&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFRg3iwId9IcL-w%3BFbFaiwIdGNUL-w%3BFcpFiwIdMg4M-yHncoCeHUX4Jw&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1,2,3&rtol=0,2,3,4&sll=42.68111,-83.128052&sspn=0.023441,0.038452&ie=UTF8&ll=42.682814,-83.117537&spn=0.04688,0.076904&z=14] my reroute for the Rochester section [/url]

You can try riding the trail but I wouldn't suggest it you can hop off the trail onto my reroute at either the river walk towards the PCT or at the parking lot
jalopy jockey

Postby c0nsumer » March 16th, 2009, 2:16 pm

MRTbikeman wrote:Rode the Clinton River trail today from the Adams rd parking to the Macomb Orchard trail. It was really good with only a few small wet patches until about Rochester Rd. After that it was really soft and wet all the way to Dequindre. It's like riding in wet cement. I kept hoping it would improve as I went but it only got worse. Please consider this section as "Do not ride" for about a week. I found out on my return trip, you can bypass this section quite easily. I highly recommend doing so.

On Saturday the area near Dequinder looked like someone tried designing worm trails into it. From the road to as far as could be seen it was rutted.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby KONA Cruiser » March 16th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I walked in to Bloomer from the Letica parking area, the Clinton River Trail is a muddy mess with major pizza cutters everywhere. That's going to be a bumpy trail when the surface hardens with all the ruts.
KONA Cruiser

Postby jalopy jockey » March 20th, 2009, 8:41 pm

[quote="KONA Cruiser"]I walked in to Bloomer from the Letica parking area, the Clinton River Trail is a muddy mess with major pizza cutters everywhere. That's going to be a bumpy trail when the surface hardens with all the ruts.[/quote]

I ran that section on Wednesday night it's dried out quite a bit only one or two muddy sections until right before the Onyx. then it was weird the clay on the trail surface felt like it was slipping on it's substructure. I sank but I didn't.

Gonna be rough riding this summer for sure.
jalopy jockey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions