North Country Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

North Country Trail

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 9:00 am

Post trail conditions for the North Country Trail
Todd Scott

M-55 to freesoil road and Big M

Postby bb_udell » March 28th, 2004, 8:27 pm

the Udell Hills (NCT marilla to M-10) along with Big M and its outer loop are ready to go with a few exceptions for north faces. worms are up and the ground is spongy is places but due to low volume and long break-in times, the locals hope that people make it up here and enjoy it early. there are some logs and heavy leaf liter that needs some attention but we'll take care of that throughout the spring. Come on up to Manistee County and ride!!
bb_udell

Re: M-55 to freesoil road and Big M

Postby MusicManBikingAimlessly » March 30th, 2004, 1:22 pm

bb_udell wrote:the Udell Hills (NCT marilla to M-10) along with Big M and its outer loop are ready to go with a few exceptions for north faces. worms are up and the ground is spongy is places but due to low volume and long break-in times, the locals hope that people make it up here and enjoy it early. there are some logs and heavy leaf liter that needs some attention but we'll take care of that throughout the spring. Come on up to Manistee County and ride!!

Thanks BB... I'll take you up on the offer as soon as the opportunity presents itself and of course weather permitting...
Be nice to the people on the ride up, you'll likely see them on your way back down!
MusicManBikingAimlessly

Postby bikesatori » June 1st, 2004, 10:08 pm

The NCT up here by Marquette is pretty good in most places, but some are in definate need of clearing. I just walked a few sections of it I have never been on and it is beautiful! I'm pretty sure most, but not all sections are off limits to bikers for some reason though. Is the NCT finished in MI? I know we were the farthest along for awhile there. I would like to backpack it sometime in the future.
bikesatori

Postby Dan_Harrison » June 2nd, 2004, 10:31 am

According to the North Country Trail Association, roughly 50% of the projected Michigan mileage is certified as complete, and maybe another 15-20% is described as "usable," which often mean that it follows country roads and 2-tracks. Of the certified mileage, about 2/3 is in the northern Lower Peninsula. Most of the trail sited on public land (state & federal forests for the most part), is certified. The remaining mileage will call for literally thousands of private landowners to donate or sell easements to the public agencies. This has been stalled because federal law prohibits the direct sale of land to an agency. The NCTA and the MMBA both support a "Willing Seller" bill that will amend this policy, albeit with differences in the terms of sale.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby bikesatori » June 2nd, 2004, 12:26 pm

Dan - Are you a member of the NCTA? I was thinking of joining and doing some trail work.
bikesatori

Postby Todd Scott » June 2nd, 2004, 1:24 pm

The MMBA is a business member of the NCTA.
Todd Scott

Postby RickPlite » April 5th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Marilla trail head to Red Bridge is completely thawed and ready to ride. Soil is dry, no mud anywhere. I rode through two 12" wide by 10' long patches of snow in 17 miles. 7 trees down and large enough to require dismounting. Enjoy the trails! Spring is here!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby EarlyRider » July 5th, 2005, 8:32 am

Rode from Timber Creek Trailhead to 5 Mile Rd and back on July 3. Trail was in great shape with only a few areas overgrown by ferns and a couple of downed trees (one near trailhead and the other around 11 miles in). Great NCT segment for a SS with a few long punishing climbs and many fun descents.
EarlyRider

Postby daisylubob » July 20th, 2006, 11:19 am

Has anyone ridden the NCT segment that goes from Udell Trailhead to Bowman Bridge Campground? i am thinking of doing this on a weekend in the fall and wanted to know if it is worth it. I have ridden the Marilla Trailhead to Dilling Rd section, along the Manistee, that was beautiful!
thanks
Janet
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is that his tail wags instead of his tongue."(unknown)

http://www.darkhorsegirls.blogspot.com/
daisylubob

Postby Spinwheel » July 21st, 2006, 11:10 pm

daisylubob wrote:Has anyone ridden the NCT segment that goes from Udell Trailhead to Bowman Bridge Campground? i am thinking of doing this on a weekend in the fall and wanted to know if it is worth it. I have ridden the Marilla Trailhead to Dilling Rd section, along the Manistee, that was beautiful!
thanks
Janet

Last weekend I rode NCT "A" - Marilla to Dilling - and yes, it is awsome 8) Haven't ridden "B" - Udell to Bowman - but I am told its not as difficult..

Tim
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby mtbyker » January 7th, 2007, 8:27 am

Been to the NCT segment that starts at M-20 a few times lately and it's in great condition-a few leaves on the trail but very nice. If you ride there be sure and sign in at the sign in box that is located about 100 yards north of 6 mile (if you go that far). It's just a box on a pole, it has a sheet inside, it helps the DNR see how much use the trails gets.........
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby mtbyker » March 23rd, 2007, 10:28 pm

Rode NCT from M-20 again today (1st time in more than 2months). It was about 99% great w/ just a few areas of lingering snow and 1 swamp-just before the bridge near 6 mile. A few more days and it should be primo!!

mtbyker

Postby midget » April 30th, 2007, 6:24 am

rode the red bridge section sunday. it was great, with just a few of the usual wet spots. the ticks are out already so look your legs over after the ride.
midget

Postby mtbyker » May 20th, 2007, 10:16 am

We rode the Red Bridge section yesterday, great trail! Hadn't been there in many years. It was a little dry here and there. Mostly is was in very good condition and was a brutal workout on a singlespeed with too big of a gear!!

mtbyker

Next

Return to Trail Conditions