North Country Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NCT: North Country Trail

Postby wingzz » September 8th, 2010, 1:00 pm

james leikert wrote:Another four day / three night adventure from WC -> Alba. Trails were in great shape despite having to portage quite a few freshly downed trees due to the high winds. Equestrians have poached on some of the areas closed to horses, doing some trashing and laying down piles and piles fresh p00p.

Out of curiosity, does the MMBA have a liaison for the North Country Trail Association?

send this question to John Gonway and he should be able to answer it
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby Cook » September 8th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Timber Creek past Freesoil and back Saturday, Sept 4: Near perfection. Even after the high winds no unpassable downed trees. Sandy bench cuts where firm thanks to recent rains. Tacky to dry surface with no standing water. Plenty of trail duff so not buff but no horse p00p. Saw no one appart from my ride companion. Great ride for fall. Fast and flow-e.

Jim
Cook

Postby paydirt_07 » September 13th, 2010, 7:41 am

My first time riding the NCT. Rode north from M20 and the trail was in great shape. Had a good time until I blew a spoke about 12 or 13 miles in, then turned around.
paydirt_07

Postby trout_smith » September 13th, 2010, 8:38 am

paydirt_07 wrote:My first time riding the NCT. Rode north from M20 and the trail was in great shape. Had a good time until I blew a spoke about 12 or 13 miles in, then turned around.

Cool! (Other than the spokes). Let me know next time you're going. I ride out there quite a bit.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby paydirt_07 » September 13th, 2010, 7:45 pm

trout_smith wrote:
paydirt_07 wrote:My first time riding the NCT. Rode north from M20 and the trail was in great shape. Had a good time until I blew a spoke about 12 or 13 miles in, then turned around.

Cool! (Other than the spokes). Let me know next time you're going. I ride out there quite a bit.

MrSingleTrack showed me the trail. Sure, sounds good. About my only free time now is on weekends, due to evening classes and homework during the week days. :(
paydirt_07

Postby Bigtymer » September 14th, 2010, 7:48 am

Has anyone road the Uddell to freesoil section? How does it compare with red bridge to marilla trailhead section? I have ridden the redbridge to marilla section a bunch times and the uddell to freesoil is the only section of the nct I haven't ridden.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby jpjones » June 14th, 2011, 2:51 pm

What's the NCT like north of M20 near White Cloud? I'm camping near Hesperia, MI this weekend and trying to decide if it's worth riding out that way. Thanks!
jpjones

Postby John_H » June 14th, 2011, 9:35 pm

North of M20 the NCT is fast smooth singletrack. Nothing extreme. You can ride as far north as you feel comfortable with to turn around and head back same distance.
John_H

Postby jpjones » June 14th, 2011, 11:51 pm

thanks for the reply - so it sounds like the trail is bi-directional?
jpjones

Postby Bikersoreass » June 16th, 2011, 9:31 pm

jpjones wrote:thanks for the reply - so it sounds like the trail is bi-directional?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:
Ya meet a lot more people if you ride the trails backwards!
Bikersoreass

Postby AllMountin' » June 25th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Rode Marilla to Red Bridge today. I should note that the Marilla trailhead has a fee station of $5 per day. Not a big deal really, but it helps to know these things in advance. I was lucky to scrounge up the monies from my ride. Wasn't too keen on dropping 20 to park. This ain't Detroit...

Anyhow- 3 or 4 downed trees/low clearance trees along the way. I recall two of them being pretty small, and one can be ridden over. The low clearance is an angled tree that you have to walk around on the sloped side. Kind of awkward.

Trail conditions are excellent. Was amazed by the sustained climbs and descents. The longest I've ridden in Michigan. Lots of fun and the uphills are generally quite manageable. A terrific section of trail. I had to stop and reapply my chain to chainring after the rooted downhills jarred it loose. That's the right kind of problem to have. ;-)

I made much better time from Marilla to Red Bridge(just over an hour) than vice versa. A couple of the return climbs really tested me, but I found one sustained downhill this direction to be prolly my favorite.

Question: Why does the Red Bridge TH have a red X over the bike symbol? The Marilla TH, as well as the Coates Hwy crossing both clearly show bikes as permitted. Seems a bit odd. Are they trying to milk bikers by making them park at the Marilla fee station?

Logged about 20 miles on Endo: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/hl38z27fRoU
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Bigtymer » June 26th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Wow, thanks for the link on the redbridge to mesick trail. I've always been curious to know how much elevation gain you get on the there and back ride, and also the top elevation. I camp up at the saw dust hole which is south of the redbridge trailhead which adds another 10 miles to your ride. I've always estimated it was about 28-30miles. Now I'm sure its well over 30. Nice work!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby AllMountin' » June 26th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Note that that mileage and elevation gain includes riding all the way out to Coates, then down the huge hill to the trailhead. The trailhead at Red Bridge is the low spot on the elevation profile, so you won't make it all the way down to 640 feet w/out riding all the way down to it.

I hadn't looked at those details yet, and was surprised by the actual elevation gain total. It's almost as much as I logged on the 42 mile Trifecta Tour. But that was a 3.5 hour marathon, and half of that was road riding.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Bigtymer » June 26th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Gotcha, you know you can park on the side of the road, right by the upper river trail head instead parking down the hill at redbridge.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Coyote » August 1st, 2011, 1:01 pm

Going camping at Ludington this week with the family and looking for a good trail to ride. NCT seems like the closest good trail.

Timber Creek seems to be the closest parking lot. Which is more fun, riding S down to Bowman and back, or riding N 8-10 miles and back?

Any good descriptions on how to find the Timber Creek lot and getting onto the trail?

Thanks in advance!
Coyote

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions