Western: Robinette's

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby paydirt_07 » June 21st, 2007, 8:06 am

John_H wrote:Please make sure any trail work out there is cleared with the Robinettes that own the land. There are liability issues to be concerned about. I think that trail could be a good ride for locals, but we have to go through the proper channels.
Sincere Dirt.
John

That is true, since it's privately owned. My understanding was a local bike shop was taking on the trail maintenance... :?: ; if so, it has not been very thorough. I didn't know if Guppie was associated with the bike shop. I agree, it would be a good ride for locals, if it was maintained.
paydirt_07

Postby Guppie » June 21st, 2007, 6:22 pm

I've called robinettes everytime I've done trail work. They have no problem. I'll borrow a chainsaw and walk the trail soon. I'll let you know when it's cleaned up or when I plan on getting out there.
Guppie

Postby Guppie » September 2nd, 2007, 8:56 pm

I never made it out there but saw some riders when driving on E.Belt. Anybody ride this lately?
Guppie

Postby trout_smith » September 2nd, 2007, 9:58 pm

It sounds like a dead trail. No one talks about it much and when they do, it is not to recommend it. (Unless it is a super secret, awesome trail that we are keeping all to ourselves - then PM me :wink: )
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

First Time at Robinette's

Postby Steven_Arnold_Cole » September 24th, 2007, 10:04 am

Rode the trail on 9.23 for the first time. As a 48 year old Clydesdale beginner, (one year of MTB exp.) the trail gave me plenty of challenge! I found the trail at Robinette's very similar to the Cannonsburg Ski Area trail. It needs some attention though, a little overgrown in a few areas. There is some grass riding. But, there are a few sandy areas, some trees obstacles, off camber areas, some very steep climbs and lots of fast downhill sections. All in all is was 4.5 miles & worth the $3.00. If you go, study the map closely before you head out, there is a little confusion in the muddle of the trail!
Steven_Arnold_Cole

Postby Guppie » September 24th, 2007, 10:14 am

I'm golfing at 1000 oaks on Friday, I may stop by on my way home and ride that trail. It will be about 630pm if anybody wants to join me.
Guppie

Postby twirlyhead » September 24th, 2007, 11:01 am

Hmm... Robinette's has in the past been one of my fave trails, but all the reports (or lack thereof) have kept me from ponying up the $3 to give 'er a spin this year. It always beat me to a pulp and the yippie dog at the end always a source of irritating entertainment (is it still there?)... but always with a tired grin on my face. Most told me they hated it so it is even harder to get a group together for a ride there. If I happen to get free (wife pass), I may hit it on Thursday evening and see how it is in there. I passed by there this weekend and the lot was full of cars... but it was the cider house that was hopping... and not the trail :? .
Image twirlyhead Image
twirlyhead

Postby Guppie » September 24th, 2007, 1:56 pm

I always think of that dog too. The trail is a GREAT workout trail because there are a lot of power climbs (no momentum). It's very short so multiple laps and it's a GREAT trail to ride at night.

That's what I remember. Let us know if you go Thursday, I'll for sure be there on Friday.
Guppie

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » September 26th, 2007, 1:39 pm

So, Guppie, is this trail now rideable? I could use a trail that is closer to my house.
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby choppe » September 26th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Guppie wrote:That's what I remember. Let us know if you go Thursday, I'll for sure be there on Friday.

It's not Friday yet.
choppe

Postby bil » September 27th, 2007, 7:48 pm

rode there tonight, trail needs more riding, very under used. like always it needs work. I forgot how much this place can kick your butt!

sep. 27 07
bil

Postby Guppie » September 28th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Okay everyone, I rode this trail tonight, along with 2WheelWarrior. There is something about this trail that I REALLY like. I just think it's fun. As for trail condition, I don't see anything wrong with it. Actually, for how little use it gets, it's in good condition. It's not any worse than CSGA. Sure some weeds will hit you as your ride by and the trail is not perfectly groomed and has a lot of tree roots. But if you want a groomed trail, maybe you should switch to road biking.

I think it's a great trail and I will definitly keep riding it as much as possible. I think it would make a GREAT night ride trail. It's definitly an intermediate and higher trail. Beginners could really really struggle there. A lot of the climbs have tree roots that so it takes some good climbing and balance skills.

If I would have known the trail was this good condition, I would have ridden it all season long. There are a few spots that could use a 'caution' sign and there are a few spots if you don't pay attention you could get lost.

Some hints: When you come out into the opening (orchard) it will look like the trail goes right. You can go right, but cuts off a lot. Instead, keep going straight. You'll come out by the E.Beltline towards the parking lot. You will turn right (there's an arrow) and you go back into the orchard and out on a two track. Turn left and that takes you back in. At the bottom of the downhill, you will see a turn on your left. Go straight. That trail you will come back too. There is a HUGE tree down on the hill later in the ride. That trail you see is an unoffical reroute around the tree.

I know this is all confusing without seeing. Oh, the dogs are still there.

Here is the data from my GPS:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invi ... ue=4068976
Guppie

Postby twirlyhead » September 28th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Thanks Guppie! I didn't get the pass on Thursday... :cry:
Image twirlyhead Image
twirlyhead

Postby mtbyker » September 28th, 2007, 11:26 pm

I have not been there all year, I'll have to go and chaeck it out again. I like the idea that I most likely won't get shot at or stuck with an arrow while I'm there!! But what I really miss about this trail is trying to shake off that last big climb so I can muster enough energy to sprint past the dog before it realizes I have been there!! It's still 4.5 miles? I thought some of it was gone the way of developement.........
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby Guppie » September 28th, 2007, 11:29 pm

see my gps data. It's 4.0 miles and that last climb REALLY sneaks up on you. You really have NO momentum going into it. There are three dogs now, but it's the last one on that is 'THE DOG'.
Guppie

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions