Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby shoe » November 29th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Rode the new "Ditch Witch" trail today, went bandit on a Singlespeed Nation ride.
Good stuff, it truly is worth the trip to Luton Park now to go riding for anyone at any level. Pick your desired level of difficulty and ride that particular section or do what S/N did and ride everything. Good either way.
Thanks to everyone for all of the work, and thanks to the singlespeed gang for letting me ride along!
"For every man who is chopping at the roots there are a thousand who are swinging at the leaves"
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby RickPlite » November 29th, 2008, 6:32 pm

thanks guys but I can't take all the credit. Many people have their hands in this, in no particular order I would like to thank and give credit where it is due: Roger Sabine for giving us a chance, Brian Mulligan for working with us, Aaron Smith for drafting the documents with the county, Nate Phelps for his leadership and guidance, Dennis Murphy for getting his foot in the door and giving all of us the opportunity to make it happen, Steve Kunnath for co-TC work, Jason Dew for many hours of unselfish XC trail work and Scott Thenikl, Terry Avink, Mike Gannon, Dave Staublin for countless hours on their own out there. Then there is all the volunteers that make it happen whether it is on their own time or at every trail day or just one, you guys make it all happen. For example, we have invested a total of more than 600 man hours out here. At IMBA man hour rates of $18 per hour, that is an $11,000 gift to the county. Pretty impressive what we can accomplish in 8 months since the county gave us the go ahead! I apologize for anyone I have missed. Thanks to EVERYONE. Good riding with many of you today!

Rick
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby singletrack mind » December 3rd, 2008, 10:17 am

Snow too deep to ride as of 4:00 yesterday.
"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain
singletrack mind

Location: "........because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels." Ezekiel 1:20

Postby ReidRules18 » January 7th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Any word on the conditions out there? Bike or ski it?
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby RickPlite » January 7th, 2009, 5:07 pm

too icy, to little coverage, neither would be fun
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby de5m0mike » February 8th, 2009, 2:49 pm

I thought I'd give the trail a shot today after yesterdays big thaw but it's still not ridable. There are sections that are, but it's still mostly snow covered and too deep to ride. Another day or two of this warm weather might be all it needs though.
de5m0mike

Postby Robert_Baker » March 1st, 2009, 7:48 pm

Rideable as long as it's cold enough to keep the ground frozen.
Robert_Baker

Postby tdog » March 11th, 2009, 3:50 pm

rode this morning! boy that felt good.....trail in great shape if you ride early when it's still frozen! many trees down on the newest section still, needs chainsaw work.....I would do it this weekend but I wrecked my blades there last fall and can't afford to replace them right now. besides, it's a good workout doing a little hike-a-bike anyways.
tdog

Postby RickPlite » March 11th, 2009, 4:25 pm

we plan to finish the Red Loop during a few trail days this spring. Keep an eye out here for trail days in April and May. Hopefully we will get those trees out before then. Thanks for the trail update tdog.
RickPlite

Postby mtb.andy » March 19th, 2009, 7:41 am

Any word on the conditions? Hope to try this weekend.
mtb.andy

Postby RickPlite » March 20th, 2009, 7:07 pm

the green, yellow and blue loops are fine (stay off the blue option) but the red and orange are a mess, please avoid unless frozen
RickPlite

Postby tdog » March 22nd, 2009, 6:36 pm

cleared all of the trees from the new loop! rode great this morning!
tdog

Postby RickPlite » March 22nd, 2009, 6:56 pm

holy cow man! I was going to get to that.

Thanks Terry
RickPlite

Postby de5m0mike » March 26th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I just came from the trail. Rode everything but the yellow loop, I was just too dead by the time I got to it. That red loop kicked my butt. All I can say is "Rick, what the *beep* were you thinking when you designed that loop". Every time I think I'm almost done I turn a corner and go back up another hill. It was killing me... Or, maybe it was just the lack of exercise I got all winter that killed me?

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to tdog for clearing the fallen trees, and say that the trail is about 99% dry and mud free (at least for now) and is 100% rideable. Of course I can't say for the Yellow loop though cuz I skipped that one. ; ) I'd try to get out tomorrow, before this weekends rain, if you can.
de5m0mike

Postby tdog » March 27th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Yes I agree the new loop is fun! but it will ride fast when it gets packed in....as for the yellow loop it's in great shape, if you like more hills:) I was woundering if any one out there has a new total distance per loop....Just curious!
tdog

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions