Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby John_H » May 21st, 2010, 8:46 am

tdog wrote:Always so quick to judge opposing views..... well here's to hoping it won't be a three year project! BTW, never saw a post asking for help?
but in order to get it done whoever is in charge of this rework, have them get a hold of me though Rick.....I'm willing to help crank it out this weekend!

You never saw posts for work at CSGA? There were many. Always on the CSGA trail condition and comment page, plus individual postings. If you would like individual emails when there are work days in the future, maybe let the trail coordinator know. Not sure if there is a bulk email list.
John_H

Postby John_H » May 21st, 2010, 8:48 am

Thanks for clarifying Cramer! And for all your volunteer time too.
John_H

Postby tdog » May 21st, 2010, 9:23 am

OMG! csg game was an example of what not to repeat at Luton! cheers to all those volunteers...hats off and group hug! your right about a great job.....
just hoping not to repeat at Luton! as for personal invite i seldom come to this site and small wounder why.... anyway i did offer AGAIN!

so long
tdog

Postby cramer » May 21st, 2010, 9:51 am

tdog wrote:Always so quick to judge opposing views..... well here's to hoping it won't be a three year project! BTW, never saw a post asking for help?
but in order to get it done whoever is in charge of this rework, have them get a hold of me though Rick.....I'm willing to help crank it out this weekend!

I never judged your opposing view one way or the other. I simply pointed out a factual error in your statement (it didn't take three years) and provided some context to help you understand why that particular project took longer than other projects.

I also judged your character but that has nothing to do with your views on what should or shouldn't be done with the trails. My judgment of your character comes from your overall attitude and lack of tact when criticizing the efforts of volunteers. Complaining about how long it takes someone to do something that they are doing for free as a favor is like school in summer time.... NO CLASS!
cramer

Postby Bigtymer » May 21st, 2010, 9:57 am

Well said Cramer!! Absolutely!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby killercarbon98 » May 21st, 2010, 11:49 am

Thanks everyone for your support and understanding. You've all said it perfecty.

Tdog- not sure if you were offering to help at Luton or Game Area but I could really use the help at CSGA in respect to helping close off all the short cuts peope (or a person) keep creating as most will certaining lead to more trail problems and work that takes my time away from the major projects and fixes. Just drop logs branches etc to close them when time. Same for anyone else that can help.
Anyone that knows who's doing the short cuts please PM/email me with persons desciption incl bike (no name) and his weekly ride routine so I can meet and channel his energy in the right direction. I'll make it well worth your while if the info pans out!
Regards,
C
killercarbon98

Postby tdog » May 21st, 2010, 4:33 pm

Hey guy i was wrong! just finished two laps at Luton and the trail is near perfect....INCLUDING the new armored section on yellow! FANTASTIC

glad to be wrong
tdog

Postby stealthwifi » May 24th, 2010, 7:20 am

Hi everyone, I am new to mountain biking (usually just ride the White Pine paved trail). Recently discovered Luton Park and heard its got some mountain bike trails so I gave it a shot. Mountain biking is something I have always wanted to try and I am very glad I did. I had a GREAT time. I did the Blue loop 2x and LOVED it.

I would like to say Thank You to everyone that makes this possible, I am very glad to have such a well kept trail so close to home.

I have two questions:

1) When starting out from the parking area are you suppose to take a right and follow the path around the corn field or cut through and go down the hill where there's a little path?
(it looked like the field was someones property so I presume taking a right and following that path)

2) What is the skill level of the loops?
(I tried the blue loop as it was right at the start and I wasn't sure how navigation was going to be)

Cheers -
stealthwifi

Postby RickPlite » May 24th, 2010, 7:37 am

stealthwifi wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to mountain biking (usually just ride the White Pine paved trail). Recently discovered Luton Park and heard its got some mountain bike trails so I gave it a shot. Mountain biking is something I have always wanted to try and I am very glad I did. I had a GREAT time. I did the Blue loop 2x and LOVED it.

I would like to say Thank You to everyone that makes this possible, I am very glad to have such a well kept trail so close to home.

I have two questions:

1) When starting out from the parking area are you suppose to take a right and follow the path around the corn field or cut through and go down the hill where there's a little path?
(it looked like the field was someones property so I presume taking a right and following that path)

2) What is the skill level of the loops?
(I tried the blue loop as it was right at the start and I wasn't sure how navigation was going to be)

Stealth, the correct way to get to the trails is to take the right turn at the parking lot, it will parallel the road over to the barn. This is a two-way trail until you get to the Orange Loop. The short cut people are making down the hill is not correct and will soon be sprouting native prairie grass planted by the parks department.
A new map will be placed at the kiosk soon. Make all right hand turns(with the exception of exiting the Black Loop) and you will ride all 9 miles of trail.
Trail ratings:
Blue:easiest
Green:easiest
Orange: more difficult
Black:most difficult
Red: Most Difficult
Yellow: More Difficult

Cheers -
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby SSSparta » May 25th, 2010, 7:08 am

I noticed quite a few face slappers on black last night. I'll try to get out on Thursday evening to do some trimming. If anyone gets out before then, let me know so I don't have to carry my loppers.

I'm also noticing a few "shortcuts" on turns - 3 on black, 2 on red and one around the log pile on orange. I don't get why that happens - they usually aren't a faster or better line.
SSSparta

Postby Slimm » May 25th, 2010, 10:56 am

tdog wrote:Hey guy i was wrong! just finished two laps at Luton and the trail is near perfect....INCLUDING the new armored section on yellow! FANTASTIC

glad to be wrong

I think I heard Rick say that he was going to name that section after you in honor of all the work you did to make it happen.

Congrats
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby paydirt_07 » May 25th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Slimm wrote:
tdog wrote:Hey guy i was wrong! just finished two laps at Luton and the trail is near perfect....INCLUDING the new armored section on yellow! FANTASTIC

glad to be wrong

I think I heard Rick say that he was going to name that section after you in honor of all the work you did to make it happen.

Congrats

That must be that whining section. :roll: :lol:
paydirt_07

Postby dlb » May 25th, 2010, 4:21 pm

SSSparta wrote:I noticed quite a few face slappers on black last night. I'll try to get out on Thursday evening to do some trimming. If anyone gets out before then, let me know so I don't have to carry my loppers.

I'm also noticing a few "shortcuts" on turns - 3 on black, 2 on red and one around the log pile on orange. I don't get why that happens - they usually aren't a faster or better line.

I couldn't make it last Sunday, so I decided to go out today and take care of the "face slappers". I think I got most of them, the black section was the worst of the bunch. I also took care of about four "shortcuts". We'll see how long those last until somebody messes with it again.

The more I ride this trail, the more I really dig it! Can't wait until the new section in the yellow loop is finished. I'm sure Rick will let us know when more maintenance will be done. Hint, hint!
dlb

Postby RickPlite » May 25th, 2010, 4:31 pm

dlb wrote:
SSSparta wrote:I noticed quite a few face slappers on black last night. I'll try to get out on Thursday evening to do some trimming. If anyone gets out before then, let me know so I don't have to carry my loppers.

I couldn't make it last Sunday, so I decided to go out today and take care of the "face slappers". I think I got most of them, the black section was the worst of the bunch. I also took care of about four "shortcuts". We'll see how long those last until somebody messes with it again.

The more I ride this trail, the more I really dig it! Can't wait until the new section in the yellow loop is finished. I'm sure Rick will let us know when more maintenance will be done. Hint, hint!

dlb

thanks for trimming some of the trail.! I had planned to get the Black Loop trimmed this week and you saved me some effort! also to anyone that helps trim this trail or others please keep in mind the proper trimming technique; it is best to take the offending branch off all the way back to the tree trunk and in many cases with these thin wild shoots, take them out right to the ground, the honeysuckle and Autumn olive for example. This technique will eliminate the chance of creating an eye poker.
I intend to work on the last bit of armoring tomorrow with a few other folks, stop on by and help us if you'd like, we'll be there about 4

Rick
RickPlite

Postby RickPlite » May 27th, 2010, 8:01 am

The armored section is now open on the Yellow Trail. This section includes 4-5 rock stair drops and a berm turn. The easier by-pass loop will remain open as an option. When we were walking out the skys opened up and dumped 1.5 inches of rain in 20 minutes! Over 15 cars were still in the parking lot when I left, riders caught out in the storm.. :shock:

When I got to Courtland Ave (less than a mile) the pavement was dry! :o

video of section; http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernmmba/4644172593/in/set-72157604092369640/
RickPlite

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions