Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » March 30th, 2009, 8:26 pm

tdog wrote:Yes I agree the new loop is fun! but it will ride fast when it gets packed in....as for the yellow loop it's in great shape, if you like more hills:) I was wondering if any one out there has a new total distance per loop....Just curious!

Tdog...rode it tonight and got about 6.5 miles. I think the loop count count goes like this; Blue= 1.75, Orange= 1.5 Red= 2 Green= 1 and Yellow= 1.25 miles.

I agree with Terry, please ride the Red Loop. It isn't signed yet but if you cross the second bridge (from the barn) on the Blue Loop continue straight and to the right, you will see flagging leading the way.

The entire trail only has a few wet or slippery sections. You know where the clay is, avoid those sections after rain.

I saw a few areas where riders tried to ride around them. This only makes matters worse. Please ride straight through a soft section or mud puddle otherwise the rail gets wider and wider and before long we are riding a 12' or wider trail. I saw some tracks today from some winter riders that were 10 feet to the left or right of the trail looking for solid ground. Not good.
RickPlite

Postby Slimm » April 5th, 2009, 5:35 pm

did two tours of all the loops this afternoon. Except for about a 10 foot section at the begining of the yellow loop the conditions were mostly very good.

I'm sure with the forthcoming weather that is forecast, trail conditions may degrade in a hurry

btw: I noticed the small re-route at the top of the climb on the yellow loop, was there a small private property encroachment?
Slimm

Postby tdog » April 6th, 2009, 10:19 am

I did the change at the request of Rick to keep peace with all! most likly the section was on "park property"...small section to lose, so no biggy! i.m.o
Lucky to have the trail as it is!
tdog

Postby paydirt_07 » April 11th, 2009, 9:49 am

Heading up to ride today.
Based on Slimm's report the trail was in good condition.
Did it dry out well since the last rain/snow?
paydirt_07

Postby RickPlite » April 11th, 2009, 11:14 am

Our next trail day is Sunday April 26th from 9am-1pm, lunch and tools provided, rain or shine, join us!
Park at the Kies Ave barn. We will hike in from here, plan to bench cut sections of trail on the Red Loop.
RickPlite

Postby paydirt_07 » April 16th, 2009, 7:55 am

Did a couple of laps of all the loops last night. Trail is in great shape. That new loop (red?) ROCKS!
paydirt_07

Postby mtb.andy » April 16th, 2009, 10:30 am

paydirt_07 wrote:Did a couple of laps of all the loops last night. Trail is in great shape. That new loop (red?) ROCKS!

I want to second that. It feels like your in a different area at times.
mtb.andy

Postby chrisgrashorn » April 20th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Hi, I live on the property bordering the red and green trails. I rode a few times last year and finally was able to get out this past weekend. I was quite surprised by the new trails which have been added, great job! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
chrisgrashorn

Postby RickPlite » April 20th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Chris

We have a trail day scheduled for this Sunday April 26th from 9am-1pm. Meet at the Kies Ave barn. Tools and lunch provided. Also another trail day scheduled for May 9th and June 6th. We will clean up the farmers dump site, bench cut trail on the Red and Yellow loop and add one more loop at some point in 2009.

I have also created an adopt-a-trail section program for the park, so far all the loops are being monitored and taken care of by locals just like yourself with an interest in the park. If you would like to be on my Luton Park e-mail list, private message me your email address and I will add your name to the email list.

Thanks for offering!
Rick
RickPlite

Postby jonvenlet » April 22nd, 2009, 8:38 am

tentatively planning on being there sunday...might even bring a helper:)
jonvenlet

Postby Riceman » April 24th, 2009, 7:12 am

I just wanted to note. I have a few friends that walk out there with their families on a regular basis and even though they are Mnt. Bikers too, they indicated that from time to time, there are inconsiderate riders. We cannot think we own these trails. We have to be thankful and polite to the walkers as well, if they are kind enough to move off the trail while we ride, thank them. If you are in a hurry, slow down. They deserve to be there as much as we do.

I know this probably doesn't apply to most people here.

I know that many bikers complain about cars honking or yelling at bikers on the road, I see this as a similar argument.

The Red Loop Rocks! Thanks again and I look forward to the new loop as well.
Riceman

Postby chrisgrashorn » April 24th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Just rode everything but yellow.. what a workout! Especially since it was in the 80's today. I took a few cell phone pictures on the red loop. I hope to later go out and take some nice pictures with a real camera.

Top of Red Loop
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/chrisgrashorn/Trail/IMG00018.jpg

Looking down on trail below
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/chrisgrashorn/Trail/IMG00019.jpg

More red
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/chrisgrashorn/Trail/IMG00020.jpg

Going uphill on red
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/chrisgrashorn/Trail/IMG00021.jpg
chrisgrashorn

Postby Slimm » April 25th, 2009, 1:11 pm

hey Chris-

I was out last night also. I think we might have crossed paths going into the orange loop.

Lots of deer out last evening also. great riding
Slimm

Postby RickPlite » April 25th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Don't be afraid of the rain! We shouldn't ride trails while it is raining anyway. Come out and help bench cut the yellow loop tomorrow! Yes, we switched gears a bit, Jason and I spent the day today (Saturday) preparing the Yellow loop for some proper bench cuts. Jason drove the Ditchwitch through the sections that required the proper out slope. Now we just need to hand tune it with mcleod's and the compactor. We chose the yellow loop since we had the threat of rain today and tomorrow. Yellow is a sandier soil than the Red Loop so it should be easier to work with than the clay on the red loop. The compactor is rented, tools are loaded, Jeff Haney is the grill volunteer for lunch and the beers are chilin' in the cooler, yep, beer! I entice you with beer.
Last edited by RickPlite on April 26th, 2009, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickPlite

Postby trekiegirl » April 25th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Got out just before the rain this morning. This was my first experience here in MI and I'm still learning this sport and I'm not very good YET! However, we rode started on the green trail and then did the blue loop. We found the barn and came back down to finish the blue and go back up the green. This is a GREAT place to learn this great sport and I will definately be going back. My husband can't wait to ride the harder loops, but I'll leave that up to him for now. I look forward to more practice! Good luck with the trail work tomorrow!
trekiegirl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions