Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby ReidRules18 » May 12th, 2011, 5:24 am

Luton was in great shape yesterday 5/11 Wednesday. I just wanted to say thank you for all the work that has gone into Luton (the additional loops, the trailhead, the re-routes). Because of the flow and multiple loops it has become now one of my favorite trails out there :)
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Mike_D » May 12th, 2011, 10:47 am

I know we had quite a bit of rain last night and Luton has been quite dry (at least since our monsoon rains a couple of weeks ago). Think it'll be dried out and ready to ride this evening (assuming we don't get anymore rain today)?
Mike_D

Postby Libertas » May 13th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Trail is in great shape. It is draining extremely well since the improvements were made at the last trail day. Rode today and there was no water to be found on any of the loops.
Libertas

Postby xcrdr » May 14th, 2011, 9:57 am

Planning on a trip over there tomorrow. Hopefully the rain will blow over. Please post up if anyone has a trail report. Really looking forward to riding this trail.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby RickPlite » May 26th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Avoid the trails for a few days, too much rain lately
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby xcrdr » May 26th, 2011, 12:38 pm

We postponed our first trip to Luton because of rain. We rescheduled it for friday the 27th. I think I should quit planning to ride there. :(

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby RickPlite » May 26th, 2011, 12:57 pm

xcrdr wrote:We postponed our first trip to Luton because of rain. We rescheduled it for friday the 27th. I think I should quit planning to ride there. :(

bummer. this spring stinks!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby xcrdr » May 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Yes sir it does. From what I have read it will be worth the wait.

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby xcrdr » May 27th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Well we put a plan together. Go to Luton and check trail condition. If muddy go straight to Yankee. We talked to a rider in the lot and he told us the trail was in great shape. Mmmm. We unloaded and headed out. A few mud puddles but so far so good. We kept rolling and couldn't believe how cool and buff the trail was. We found 1 puddle on the red loop that we got off and went around. Other than that the trail was barely damp and traction galore. Thank you very much to the trail crew. You have a great trail there. Are there any plans for added features? I must admit the yellow loop was my favorite! :D

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby TenSpeed » May 27th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Yellow was awesome!!!! Great trail and a great trail crew. Love what you guys have out there. I fell in love, with a little jump on the yellow section. Apologies to the riders that I scared that were riding, I was waiting for a photo op.
TenSpeed

Postby TenSpeed » May 30th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Rode this again today with my wife, and it was pretty good. A little greasy in the corners, and still a puddle on the red, but other than that, very nice!!
TenSpeed

Postby ramdadof3@yahoo.com » June 1st, 2011, 6:31 pm

First time to Luton with the babe and all I can say is wow!! If mountain bike trails were a bottle of wine, steak dinner and raspberry covered New York Cheesecake, I'd be fat on Luton! No frills to speak of (on trail or off), but plenty of room to take a chair, throw a blanket and grab some grub at the parking lot. In my opinion this adds to Luton's charm...the trails create the awesomisty (my word, you can use it), no need for frills.

Aside from a little sporadic sponge-age the trail(s) are immaculate. Trails are solid, nothing loose on the climbs (orange's last climb is the ONLY exception) and no bothersome erosion! Navigation through the park is a snap thanks to the perfectly placed arrows.

Rode blue to get the lay of the land...fun little entry from the parking lot.
Black is a great trail due mostly to the line of trees toward the end, right at the intersection. Very picturesque.
The babe-age declared red her favorite. It's a pretty consistent challenge throughout the entire trail. Hills, off-camber turns and a little need for finesse makes for a solid intermediate trail.
Yellow (gold) was my favorite. By far the most technical, though not really a technical trail compared to some others around the state. A couple of the longest hills in the park here. A perfect finish to the day.

We will definitely be back. If the trails on the West Side are consistent with Luton, we'll be spending a lot of time out here this summer! Kudos to the crew here, this trail is by far in the best shape of any we've ridden so far this year!
2011 Favs
Luton - Gold
Fort Custer - Red
Holdridge - West Loop (including tech loop)
ramdadof3@yahoo.com

Postby TenSpeed » June 1st, 2011, 6:46 pm

I agree with the above statement. I love the entrance from the parking lot on blue, as you descend the small hill after the field. I just love the 2 humps on that part that let you get some decent air. Yellow is my favorite trail as well. I love the hump towards the end after the big rock on the right, as you come blazing down the small hill.

I am hoping to get another ride in again soon, before the weekend.
TenSpeed

Postby TenSpeed » June 3rd, 2011, 3:07 pm

Rode this again with my wife today. Trail is in great shape. Mud is almost non existent and its in great shape. Green is a lot of fun and might be my new favorite. Got smoked by a guy on a bright orange Niner.
TenSpeed

Postby Libertas » June 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Rode this again with my wife today. Trail is in great shape. Mud is almost non existent and its in great shape. Green is a lot of fun and might be my new favorite. Got smoked by a guy on a bright orange Niner.

Pretty funny TenSpeed.... that was I on the Niner. Should have gone with white rather than orange I guess. :) I wouldn't say you got smoked by any means. If I had my wife with me that would not be a pace I would have been riding. She was holding her own though! I think it is great that it's something you guys can do together. That trail was crazy fast today no doubt about it..... and in incredible shape. It was great to see so many people out there on a Friday afternoon enjoying the trail.
Libertas

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions