Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby miranda1283 » July 11th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Has anyone been out yet today (7/11)? Just wondering how wet the trails are from all the rain this morning.
miranda1283

Postby zam42 » July 12th, 2011, 2:34 pm

I would just like to thank the lady walking her dog this morning at Luton Park and decided that it was ok to leave her dogs S**T on the trail for some one to ride through. :evil:
(insert sarcasm here)
zam42

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 18th, 2011, 10:59 pm

A few guys from work and I will be riding tomorrow around 5pm. Maybe I'll see some of you out there? I'll (probably, depending on carpool) be in my big noisy green truck on a blue Trek 4500.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Cbunda » July 20th, 2011, 10:35 am

I did not even know this trail was in Rockford, I think I am going to put the bike on the car and hit this after an office visit at Wolverine. Can anyone let me know what to expect on this trail (I.E. Hills, Sands, Mud), if this turns out to be a good trail I might be hitting this a few days a week.....
Cbunda

Postby Mike_D » July 20th, 2011, 10:52 am

Cbunda wrote:I did not even know this trail was in Rockford, I think I am going to put the bike on the car and hit this after an office visit at Wolverine. Can anyone let me know what to expect on this trail (I.E. Hills, Sands, Mud), if this turns out to be a good trail I might be hitting this a few days a week.....

It's pretty much all hard pack and fast. It's not flat like Bass River. If you look at the map in the trail guide, the blue loop is pretty flat, the spur trails off the blue loop are more challenging. The orange, black, red, and green have some nice rolling ups and downs. The yellow spur probably has the most challenging sustained climbs out there for that trail but not like the game area and certainly not like the ski area.
Mike_D

Postby Cbunda » July 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
Cbunda wrote:I did not even know this trail was in Rockford, I think I am going to put the bike on the car and hit this after an office visit at Wolverine. Can anyone let me know what to expect on this trail (I.E. Hills, Sands, Mud), if this turns out to be a good trail I might be hitting this a few days a week.....

It's pretty much all hard pack and fast. It's not flat like Bass River. If you look at the map in the trail guide, the blue loop is pretty flat, the spur trails off the blue loop are more challenging. The orange, black, red, and green have some nice rolling ups and downs. The yellow spur probably has the most challenging sustained climbs out there for that trail but not like the game area and certainly not like the ski area.

Thanks,

It was a nice ride today, I am sure I will be back. I can say that 97 with 70% humidity makes the ride in the field a nightmare on the way back. The stream was a nice spot to rinse out the shirt and get it cool :)
Cbunda

Postby ignition16 » July 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm

Luton is extremely hard packed and fast right now. Very dusty as well. Some of the spots deeper in the woods aren't quite as dry, but most of it is very hard and dry.

Also, someone needs to transplant a couple of foxes to this park. Those rabbits are getting out of control. I also almost hit 3 young raccoons tonight...
ignition16

Postby Bigtymer » July 22nd, 2011, 12:26 pm

The animals were there before we were, so they have the right of way.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby trout_smith » July 23rd, 2011, 10:45 pm

Traily was tacky and sweet today.

And big props to the guy out there rockin' a vintage 10-speed. Looks like he was hitting all the loops too. You GO, man!
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby Gooser » August 4th, 2011, 8:51 pm

WOW props to the trail help that dug the new drains and repaired some much needed trail. BTW we need to expand the parking lot. there were more cars parked along side the road than in the parking lot. So good to see all the people out there !! :D
Gooser

Postby rwright » August 5th, 2011, 7:21 am

Gotta say the trail maintenance was fantastic, I was amazed at how much of the sand was cleaned up since the weekend, must have been a lot of work put in and its much appreciated.

Even with all the cars and people there last night the trails didn't feel crowded in the least.
rwright

Postby Mike_D » August 5th, 2011, 7:35 am

This trail is a testament to the Kent County Parks Department of how much use a multi-use trail receives not only for bikers but for hiking and trail running as well (as well as xc skiing and snowshoeing in the winter). It also shows how trail maintenance volunteers keep the trail in nice shape without costing the parks dept. any revenue. I'm sure the local businesses love having this trail for increased revenue (gas stations selling gatorade, etc., local watering holes selling malt pops, etc., etc.). How nice it would be to have other existing parks throughout the county enact similar trails within their boundaries to help alleviate the parking congestion of this particular trail/park.
Mike_D

Postby the Putti » August 5th, 2011, 5:36 pm

mntn-biker wrote:This trail is a testament to the Kent County Parks Department of how much use a multi-use trail receives not only for bikers but for hiking and trail running as well (as well as xc skiing and snowshoeing in the winter). It also shows how trail maintenance volunteers keep the trail in nice shape without costing the parks dept. any revenue. I'm sure the local businesses love having this trail for increased revenue (gas stations selling gatorade, etc., local watering holes selling malt pops, etc., etc.). How nice it would be to have other existing parks throughout the county enact similar trails within their boundaries to help alleviate the parking congestion of this particular trail/park.

AMEN
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
2015 Cannondale Synapse
the Putti

Postby Go_Green » August 5th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Johnson Park is prime real estate. I wish they would release their kung-fu death grip on the no bike policy.
Go_Green

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 5th, 2011, 10:15 pm

mntn-biker wrote:This trail is a testament to the Kent County Parks Department of how much use a multi-use trail receives not only for bikers but for hiking and trail running as well (as well as xc skiing and snowshoeing in the winter). It also shows how trail maintenance volunteers keep the trail in nice shape without costing the parks dept. any revenue. I'm sure the local businesses love having this trail for increased revenue (gas stations selling gatorade, etc., local watering holes selling malt pops, etc., etc.). How nice it would be to have other existing parks throughout the county enact similar trails within their boundaries to help alleviate the parking congestion of this particular trail/park.

Cannonsburg ski trail and csga are literally within biking distance of luton. :D Recreational riders probably choose it because it has the least amount of hills to climb, and if theyre not use to riding when its 90+ degrees out its the easiest in my opinion. But that doesnt keep me from riding there often though. Great trail.
Most areas would be jealous to have three good trails so close. :D
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions