Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby TenSpeed » July 26th, 2012, 8:35 am

Rode this yesterday for the first time in almost a year. Trail was in great condition. A bit sandy in spots but nothing out of the ordinary for the summer we have had. Signage seems to be different, and it looks great! New map from what I remember at the trailhead, and it was really nice. Huge kudos to whomever put all the work in on Luton. If this trail was closer, I would ride it so much more.
TenSpeed

Postby RickPlite » July 26th, 2012, 8:50 am

TenSpeed wrote:Rode this yesterday for the first time in almost a year. Trail was in great condition. A bit sandy in spots but nothing out of the ordinary for the summer we have had. Signage seems to be different, and it looks great! New map from what I remember at the trailhead, and it was really nice. Huge kudos to whomever put all the work in on Luton. If this trail was closer, I would ride it so much more.

was there any trees down?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby TenSpeed » July 26th, 2012, 12:42 pm

There was one, I think that it was on/near the green loop a bit of the way in, but it is off the trail, and there is plenty of room to go around it.
TenSpeed

Postby rwright » July 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Anybody know what the conditions are like after the rain we got this morning? Would hate to sit in the northbound 131 traffic to find the trail too muddy to ride.

Thanks,
rwright

Postby cramer » July 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm

rwright wrote:Anybody know what the conditions are like after the rain we got this morning? Would hate to sit in the northbound 131 traffic to find the trail too muddy to ride.

Thanks,

I haven't been out there but I live near by and I wouldn't hesitate to ride today. Not that much rain and the ground is pretty thirsty these days.
cramer

Postby rwright » July 27th, 2012, 2:00 pm

cramer wrote:
rwright wrote:Anybody know what the conditions are like after the rain we got this morning? Would hate to sit in the northbound 131 traffic to find the trail too muddy to ride.

Thanks,

I haven't been out there but I live near by and I wouldn't hesitate to ride today. Not that much rain and the ground is pretty thirsty these days.

Thanks cramer. The trail was in great condition last night, the best I have seen it in months.
rwright

Postby dirty29 » August 2nd, 2012, 3:34 pm

Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The rain has been good to Luton.
dirty29

Postby FredSmith » August 3rd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Agree - trail is in great shape. Cool to see 3 families heading out with kids on bikes as I left. It was hot late morning, hope they brought plenty of water.
FredSmith

Postby kms662 » August 4th, 2012, 10:13 am

dirty29 wrote:Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The rain has been good to Luton.

Rode this morning. Ditto this comment.
kms662

Postby raymears » August 10th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Does anyone have a good enough feel for the drainage at Luton to predict whether it will be okay to ride tomorrow at 10 AM? I'm guessing it won't be, but thought I'd ask.
raymears

Postby Mike_D » August 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm

raymears wrote:Does anyone have a good enough feel for the drainage at Luton to predict whether it will be okay to ride tomorrow at 10 AM? I'm guessing it won't be, but thought I'd ask.

My guess would be no since we have received 1"-2" of rain in the past 24 hours. Head to Yankee instead. Yankee loves rain. :D
Mike_D

Postby Slimm » August 12th, 2012, 10:00 am

trail was perfect yesterday afternoon. about as good as it gets. be perfect today too prolly

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby aarontriton » September 4th, 2012, 11:28 am

This Trail is a blast. We rode it Sunday. Came to Rockford to ride Merrell trail and decided after riding merrell to check out Luton . I really liked the Black trail and so did my 8 yr old Son!
14 Devinci Carbon Troy
15 Mongoose Vinson fat bike
aarontriton

Postby cbhiii » September 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Luton is getting really soft in spots on the red and yellow trails. A lot of erosion and ruts in spots are interrupting the flow. It's hard to keep a good line at times. And it's a lot less forgiving than it was only a few weeks ago.

Also, watch out for the deer in the orange section just before the ramp. I've seen a pair of young ones hanging out there twice now over the last couple of weeks. :)
cbhiii

Postby G.Cook » September 29th, 2012, 4:37 pm

That's to bad. It sure surprised me and I was thinking "next time your mine". Hate those guys, they seem to be at all the trail net works.
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions