Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » August 15th, 2012, 3:58 pm

wannabee wrote:Thanks Bob, i'll probably be back out sat afternoon if you want to ride, but be warned, I am slower than slow right now.

Dave I am going to do the Assenmacher Sunday so I think I will save the legs in case I decide to do the 100 miler . I am going out and work on the trail in the morning so will try and get things taken care of and talk to Dave about a new single track section to move it up out of a low area . Bob
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 16th, 2012, 11:24 am

No drinking fountain at the beach. Hand pump at the East Picnic/Org Campground and at the horsestaging area.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 16th, 2012, 11:30 am

Bob raked some of the glass on the hill by marker 3 and I cheered him on today. It is an area where a old homestead was and they threw all there trash on that hill.

Its a steep down hill where the dirt is eroding from water running down the trail and its getting down to the glass real bad now. Not too much of any opportunity to move the trail off that hill. May be able to get a little more sustainable section there at the top so it doesnt erode so bad and then cover it with dirt.

We'll see.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » August 27th, 2012, 8:28 am

Was out sat afternoon and the trail was prefect. On some sections even and old fat guy like me can really fly, so much fun. I thought someone placed that glass on the hill, my aplogies. If you can, avoid a reroute there. It's one of the more challenging climbs out there. Thanks
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 30th, 2012, 9:00 am

Yeah I think we can manage that. I just need to stop the water from heading straight down the hill.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 11th, 2012, 10:48 am

The trails were mowed yesterday and today. The guys said it was very dry out here. Come out for a ride while the weather is beautiful. I guarantee it won't be crowded out here like some other trails are.

Keep an eye out for the glass on the hill by marker 3.We haven't dealt with that yet.

Thanks Dave.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » September 11th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Was out Saturday afternoon and the trail was excellent, the glass is exposed on the hill, you just have to watch your line thru that. And you are right about it not being crowded, usually i dont see another person when i am out there. I did see the biggest fox i have ever seen last time out though.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 11th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Maybe by next weeks work day we can at least have a temporary fix on that glass hill . I will rake it again in the morning and try and clear as much as possible . We have another project in the morning to do so will not be able to do it this week . We also need one of the dnr guys to haul the gravel for us and they are busy on something else right now .
owosso bob

Postby rvd » September 12th, 2012, 8:05 am

Trails south of Price Rd and west of the lake are in good condition. Northwest of the lake by the dam the trailbed is still mostly grass, although a narrow track seems to be slowly wearing itself in.

Quick question about access points to the trail: I looped around the south side of the park (Upton, Jason, Shepardsville Rd) and looked for trails that connect with the main loop. I found one eventually off Shepardsville Rd, but at mile 8 in this endomondo track I rode into a small trail off Jason Rd and almost made it to main loop, although I rode on a ridge and the nearby trail is at lake level. As the trail didn't seem much more than a deer trail and I didn't know where I was, I turned around after a while. Now, if we would be allowed to do a little work to this trail and connect it to the main loop, we may be able to easily expand the riding options here.
rvd

Postby owosso bob » September 12th, 2012, 12:56 pm

rvd hopefully in a week you will notice a difference in the grassy sections like it is on the west side of the lake as we tried to take care of it today . Any trail modifications have to be taken up with DNR Dave . If you want to come out when we are working I will post it up and you can talk to Dave or stop at the office they always know where he is . Very good guy to work with !
owosso bob

Postby G.Cook » September 12th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I will be riding SH in the am. Should be interesting I'm hoping.
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » September 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Thanks Bob, you're the man!!!!!!
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 12th, 2012, 4:06 pm

G.Cook wrote:I will be riding SH in the am. Should be interesting I'm hoping.

Any idea what time you will be out there ? Dave said you would be out and I thought maybe I could pick your brain a little . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Postby G.Cook » September 12th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm hoping 10-11am. Look for an Element.
G.Cook

Postby G.Cook » September 13th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Huge thanks to Bob for giving me the tour of SH. Last rode SH 3yrs ago (?) and I have to say Bob and now DNR Dave have turned this trail into a real GEM. Fast and flowey. ILRA is fast but SH is faster.
This is also the best trail around to take a nervous Newb . They can learn it all right at SH. No matter the age.
But the best part were those ridge lines . I think I was slobbering a bit when I saw those and Bob laid out his vision for some awesome side slope flowing single track on those forested ridge lines. I think the figure was 18-20miles if you through in whats out there now. What an opportunity wasting away. I'm sure the entrenched equestrian SH crowd might have designs on that primo part of the park. Mid-state chapter has to find a way to step up to the challenge to getting that piece of the property.
Thanks again Bob. Great ride and it was good to meet and talk with you today. :icon_cheers:
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions