Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby jiml » June 15th, 2017, 5:36 am

The trails are good to go. There are still a few tacky spots and one tree down on the south side up on the ridge, but it's rippin' otherwise.

Hey Dave, When is the next trail day?

Jim
jiml

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » June 17th, 2017, 11:35 am

Not sure when Mike G is planning a trail day.

We had Jackson Field Office mow back some of the brushy spots around 13-14-15. I will try to have some staff get out Monday and clear off the cut brush and clumps of dirt.

I haven't gotten to the tree on the south side yet.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » June 22nd, 2017, 1:50 pm

Staff cleared a tree between 3 and 6 the other day.

Is there still a tree down south of price rd up on the ridge somewhere? Any other trees down?

Lauren-DNR Intern
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » June 23rd, 2017, 5:54 am

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Staff cleared a tree between 3 and 6 the other day.

Is there still a tree down south of price rd up on the ridge somewhere? Any other trees down?

Lauren-DNR Intern

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know. thanks for all the work!
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 2nd, 2017, 11:03 am

Cleared a few trees today by 10.

Rode the loop south of price rd. Its grown in as is most of the trail. Gonna take me a week or two to get it in shape.

Sorry.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » July 3rd, 2017, 8:01 pm

Rode it today and there is no need to apologize with the weather we have had this year the trail is in good shape except for the mowing . Thank you and your crew for all you do to make an enjoyable trail for us to ride . May even have to buy you an adult beverage or two . Bob
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » July 6th, 2017, 5:50 am

Thanks for the mowing on the south side .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 25th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Hi.

What is the current status of the trail?

Need mowing?

Which areas need brush trimming?

Any trees down?

Thanks,

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » July 26th, 2017, 5:19 am

I was out Sunday Dave and everything was real good. Mowed nicely and no downed trees that i remember. I think the reroute of the downhill south of price is sketchier than the original downhill with the off camber right hand turn. Overall the trail is really good right now. Thanks for keeping it up.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 26th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Thanks. I think Aug 5th is running fit race so I want to make sure trails are passable.

Would the MMMBA be willing to do a work bee on that hill this fall when the weather cools off some?

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » July 27th, 2017, 1:12 pm

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Thanks. I think Aug 5th is running fit race so I want to make sure trails are passable.

Would the MMMBA be willing to do a work bee on that hill this fall when the weather cools off some?

Dave

Cant speak for the MMMBA but i will go out and I'm sure some of the Epic group people would too. If you can post here when you want to do it, i'm in.
wannabee

Postby 3SA » July 27th, 2017, 1:53 pm

We had our group ride last night and one thing that we might want to add to a potential trail day is looking at debris in culverts. We had a rider crash pretty hard (he's ok) in a culvert and apparently narrowly missed some rebar that was sticking up. It was in the section south of Price Rd probably about 2/3 of the way through going CCW heading into a corner following a downhill stretch. I wasn't there when it happened, but we may want to look at these areas to see if there are ways to mitigate potential for serious injury in the chance that someone else has trouble making the corner/getting over roots. If you need more details, I can check with someone who was there. I know Epic group members would be willing to pitch in to help.
3SA

Postby owosso bob » July 27th, 2017, 7:15 pm

wannabee wrote:
DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Thanks. I think Aug 5th is running fit race so I want to make sure trails are passable.

Dave

Cant speak for the MMMBA but i will go out and I'm sure some of the Epic group people would too. If you can post here when you want to do it, i'm in.

I would for sure be willing to work on that hill that thing is an accident waiting to happen , also to fix that mud hole between 4 and 5 . The trail is really getting smoothed out and fun to ride . Thanks for all of the work Dave .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » July 27th, 2017, 7:41 pm

3SA wrote:We had our group ride last night and one thing that we might want to add to a potential trail day is looking at debris in culverts. We had a rider crash pretty hard (he's ok) in a culvert and apparently narrowly missed some rebar that was sticking up. It was in the section south of Price Rd probably about 2/3 of the way through going CCW heading into a corner following a downhill stretch. I wasn't there when it happened, but we may want to look at these areas to see if there are ways to mitigate potential for serious injury in the chance that someone else has trouble making the corner/getting over roots. If you need more details, I can check with someone who was there. I know Epic group members would be willing to pitch in to help.

I talked to Tim the head Ranger tonight and told him about the incident and made him aware that it would be a good idea to check all of the culverts . By clearing the ends of the culverts it will also help divert the water in the spring and possibly help dry up the trail sooner in the year . But we need volunteers to step forward to help do these tasks to often only a small amount of people show up for work days . My motto has always been if you ride it work it , on your local trails .
owosso bob

Postby 3SA » July 28th, 2017, 8:04 am

I know I'm willing to help. This time of year is tough with races and vacations, but I bet we could make some headway if we came up with a plan since I think these things are best tackled with a group. I wouldn't know where to start with fixing the hill, but can lend a hand to someone who does know. :) I can help coordinate an event once we figure out what we need to do and when it's best to do it.
3SA

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions