Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » July 27th, 2017, 1:12 pm

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Thanks. I think Aug 5th is running fit race so I want to make sure trails are passable.

Would the MMMBA be willing to do a work bee on that hill this fall when the weather cools off some?

Dave

Cant speak for the MMMBA but i will go out and I'm sure some of the Epic group people would too. If you can post here when you want to do it, i'm in.
wannabee

Postby 3SA » July 27th, 2017, 1:53 pm

We had our group ride last night and one thing that we might want to add to a potential trail day is looking at debris in culverts. We had a rider crash pretty hard (he's ok) in a culvert and apparently narrowly missed some rebar that was sticking up. It was in the section south of Price Rd probably about 2/3 of the way through going CCW heading into a corner following a downhill stretch. I wasn't there when it happened, but we may want to look at these areas to see if there are ways to mitigate potential for serious injury in the chance that someone else has trouble making the corner/getting over roots. If you need more details, I can check with someone who was there. I know Epic group members would be willing to pitch in to help.
3SA

Postby owosso bob » July 27th, 2017, 7:15 pm

wannabee wrote:
DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Thanks. I think Aug 5th is running fit race so I want to make sure trails are passable.

Would the MMMBA be willing to do a work bee on that hill this fall when the weather cools off some?

Dave

Cant speak for the MMMBA but i will go out and I'm sure some of the Epic group people would too. If you can post here when you want to do it, i'm in.

I would for sure be willing to work on that hill that thing is an accident waiting to happen , also to fix that mud hole between 4 and 5 . The trail is really getting smoothed out and fun to ride . Thanks for all of the work Dave .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » July 27th, 2017, 7:41 pm

3SA wrote:We had our group ride last night and one thing that we might want to add to a potential trail day is looking at debris in culverts. We had a rider crash pretty hard (he's ok) in a culvert and apparently narrowly missed some rebar that was sticking up. It was in the section south of Price Rd probably about 2/3 of the way through going CCW heading into a corner following a downhill stretch. I wasn't there when it happened, but we may want to look at these areas to see if there are ways to mitigate potential for serious injury in the chance that someone else has trouble making the corner/getting over roots. If you need more details, I can check with someone who was there. I know Epic group members would be willing to pitch in to help.

I talked to Tim the head Ranger tonight and told him about the incident and made him aware that it would be a good idea to check all of the culverts . By clearing the ends of the culverts it will also help divert the water in the spring and possibly help dry up the trail sooner in the year . But we need volunteers to step forward to help do these tasks to often only a small amount of people show up for work days . My motto has always been if you ride it work it , on your local trails .
owosso bob

Postby 3SA » July 28th, 2017, 8:04 am

I know I'm willing to help. This time of year is tough with races and vacations, but I bet we could make some headway if we came up with a plan since I think these things are best tackled with a group. I wouldn't know where to start with fixing the hill, but can lend a hand to someone who does know. :) I can help coordinate an event once we figure out what we need to do and when it's best to do it.
3SA

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 28th, 2017, 9:54 am

Yeah if you could give me a better idea of where the rebar is that would be great. Best I can think of is maybe the culvert on the east side of the water? I think that culvert has some 6x6 borders that might be staked down.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 28th, 2017, 9:56 am

MMMBA will want to check to see if they can purchase some gravel material for the hill project and the holes between 4-5 and have that ready to go.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby 3SA » July 28th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Regarding the rebar- I think it was the culvert on the east side of the water- apparently there were some roots that the person had trouble with and lost control ahead of the turn. I've been told that the immediate danger was fixed by someone moving the rebar, but I can look more closely next time I'm out there to be sure.

We'll figure out how to get the gravel and there are some ideas about the hill fix. Mike indicated he's been in touch with you, so hopefully we can make a plan. Thanks for all the work on the trail- I've been really enjoying the Wednesday rides!
3SA

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 31st, 2017, 3:31 pm

Trails were mowed today.

This Saturday morning is the running fit race on the trails so they will be busy for a while.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » August 1st, 2017, 7:21 am

Thank you and your crew the trail is in great shape and hopefully we do not get too much rain before the running race Sat . We will let you know after our EPIC ride Wed . night of any problems . When are you going to give us a demo of that awesome new machine ?
owosso bob

Postby Mike 373 » August 2nd, 2017, 10:38 am

We got out yesterday and fixed up some low branches and made a jump out of an existing "bump". Plans are in place to fix the south side reroute and some other holes.
Mike 373

Postby Hammertime » August 19th, 2017, 4:35 pm

The trail is in excellent condition. All bushes have been trimmed back, and no logs across the trail. Really good flow to the trail. Also by having the bushes trimmed back I was able to see other trail users before we on top of each other.
Hammertime

Postby owosso bob » August 24th, 2017, 5:35 am

Had the EPIC group ride last night and the trail was in excellent condition except a couple of the usual wet spots . Also the bridge on the north end after you cross the horse trail has a gap in the transition so be careful .
owosso bob

Postby SteveF » August 24th, 2017, 8:12 am

Anyone know if horses are allowed on the island? Saw lots of "evidence," of their presence last time I rode it...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby wannabee » August 24th, 2017, 1:18 pm

SteveF wrote:Anyone know if horses are allowed on the island? Saw lots of "evidence," of their presence last time I rode it...

They and their droppings are allowed unfortunately, I think they dislike the bikes being allowed as much as we dislike their hoof prints and big piles of crap. :P
wannabee

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions