Western: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: ASGA

Postby paydirt_07 » April 28th, 2008, 8:21 am

duotone wrote:Went to ASGA for the first time and I'm not sure I went to the correct place.

I rode the trail that goes right on the water's edge, like, if you went a few inches the wrong way you're going down, and wet!

Where's the MTB trail there? I was think'n of going to the trail day this weekend.

duotone - Park at the ASGA headquarters on 118th, at the intersection of 46th. Ride out of parking area to west onto 46th (dirt road), turn left and go about 20 yards and to the left for south loop, which is softer. Or turn right out of parking area and cross 118th (paved) on 46th and turn into field trail head and enter north loop just past the outhouse, which then bends to the right (north). North loop is much firmer. I'm told the trail north of M89 is not very ridable. Enjoy! :)
paydirt_07

Postby x98myers7 » May 19th, 2008, 6:14 pm

al sabo is mint. dry, clear and fast as always.
x98myers7

Postby pugman » May 29th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Al Sabo is still in good shape. Its starting to get alot of overgrowth and face slappers. I may try go and cut them back some tomorrow, weather permiting.
AYHSMB.....BikesnobNYC
pugman

Postby sworks88 » June 2nd, 2008, 8:32 am

I managed to get out to the Allegan SGA last night. WIth some work this will be an awesome trail. Using my navigation skills I managed to take a wrong turn in a clear cut area...missed the trail. CH talked me into turning around and then we finally hit the trail again. Aparently we just were not paying attention...because I was a lot of blue marks on the trees where the trail went.

Are there plans on working on this trail????? Anyone?
Redefining SLOW one agonizing pedal stroke at a time.

http://singletrackchronicles.blogspot.com/
sworks88

Postby x98myers7 » June 6th, 2008, 5:39 am

anyone know if there are specific hours al sabo is "open"? is there a gate on the parking lot (i never thought to look before)?

i want to start riding early (right at the buttcrack of dawn ~5:30) and i'd like to know it's OK to do so that early.
x98myers7

Postby pugman » June 6th, 2008, 6:35 am

It should be ok as long as the gates are open. Though I've never seen them closed.
AYHSMB.....BikesnobNYC
pugman

Postby Travis W. » June 6th, 2008, 6:49 am

I've done some night riding out there before, never had a problem with closed gates.
Oh God, my shoulder!
Travis W.

Postby x98myers7 » June 12th, 2008, 9:14 pm

ok, al sabo is starting to get much too overgrown. on the entrance trail and atwater loop. so, we need to set something up.

travis bell, who do we talk to to get permission to do so?
x98myers7

Postby oldmanron » June 17th, 2008, 6:24 am

I'm the newly appointed trail coordinator for the ASGA, and here is some basic information about the trail system:
1) Access: trail head and parking lots are on the corner of 118the ave and 46th st. There are two parking lots; one just north of the intersection, and one right on the south-eastern corner of the intersection.
2) trail: there are two loops: one to the north or 118th ave and one to the and south. There are usually maps available at the game area HQ which is at the trail head.
3)The South Loop is all open and ridable. You may ride in either direction, but A-P-L-M-A (consult the map for the lettering system) is probably the best route to avoid sandy climbs. There is a clear-cut area between M and P that is a little rough, but getting better all the time.
4) The North Loop is not completely marked and some portions are not ridable. A-B-G-F-J-A or A-B-G-F-G-H-A are the best bets until some work gets done on the area north of F. If you are felling adventurous, the sections from F-E and E-D are ridable, not well marked.
The sections from D-C, C-E, and C-B are not tracked or marked, and I would avoid them.
Thanks, and enjoy. Trail days to improve this trail are coming soon!!!!!
oldmanron

Postby Hermannator » June 17th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Oldmanron-
Am going to be out there staying with the in-laws on Lake Allegan several times this summer. Can't wait to see the trails system. I've only ridden on it two years ago after a springtime snowstorm. Thank you for taking on your responsibility.
Hermannator

Postby sworks88 » June 18th, 2008, 9:54 am

Ron,

Thanks for the update. I live right in town..about 8 miles from the trail. I am very excited that there is activity here....and that a local is taking the lead. I look forward to meeting you in the future and helping build some good trails with the other MMBA members.

We did ride a few weeks ago out there...and the singletrack is going to be awesome once we beat it in. We are riding out there tonight as well. 6 pm if anyone is interested.

Again...thanks for the update Ron...and thanks for being the TC!!!!!

sworks88

Postby ReidRules18 » June 18th, 2008, 10:56 am

sweet!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby sworks88 » June 18th, 2008, 11:15 am

You will have to come down and ride it sometime Reid.

sworks88

Postby sworks88 » June 18th, 2008, 8:52 pm

We have some work to do. The trail is already 3 feet deep in weeds and there are a few sections that make it easy to get lost. This trail has tons of potential.....and a lot of sand. IT will be ok though....lets just get something going!!!!!!!!

if anyone is out there during the day tomorrow...on the north loop...look for a blue helmet visor.....mine is missing. I might try to look for it tomorrow.

sworks88

Postby duotone » June 19th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Riley Trails Holland.

There is 1 new log pile at the entry into the South section off 160th (I think) and a modified one about 1/2 mile into the North section from coming in from the main parking area.

The county successfully wrecked half the system in the south section. I've been working on getting a new system built... more on this soon.

Trail is pretty much dry, if you want more info go to my blog....

Peace
It's not a bike, it's a message.

I'd rather ride my bike than operate it.

This is not a business, it's a hobby out of control
http://web.mac.com/tonyreidsma/Bike_Bui ... lcome.html
duotone

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions