Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Saturday Vasa Single Track Ride

Postby cbaxp » April 5th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Anyone interested in doing a couple laps Saturday morning at the Vasa Singletrack?
cbaxp

pretty snowy

Postby michiganclydesdale » April 5th, 2007, 12:31 pm

if you're planning on laps at the singletrack, you'll need snowshoes - it's pretty wintery here. There's only been 6 inches of snow +/-, but it's still coming, and the winds will have it drifted into the open spots of the trail.
N+1
michiganclydesdale

Postby cbaxp » April 6th, 2007, 8:00 am

Yeah, now that i am up here i am realizing i should have brougt my skis not the Niner. Oh well you gotta love Michigan.
cbaxp

Postby Ady4100 » April 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm

Anybody rode it lately? im gonna be up there this weekend? hows it going. and also whats this trail like?
Ady4100

Postby Di_bear » April 21st, 2007, 1:22 pm

MICHIGAN TECH --> OPEN!!!

I stayed off the Pilgrim trails (across Pilgrim road) because they're probably muddy. Outer, Inner, Time Trial, Barking Frog, and Hairy Toad are all rideable. It's a little muddy when crossing the ski trails, and there is some mud and standing water in various places. Basically, use your head. I got off a couple times and rolled the bike through or around (to dry area, not widening the trail "around").

There are some downed trees. I think there is one on Inner. I can't remember. There are a couple on Barking Frog.

For the most part, trails are dry and packed (sand).

The sign at the trailhead says: STAY OFF SATURATED TRAILS.

It's open season and WE'RE RIDING! Wahoooo!!

*** This is also posted in the Northern: Upper Peninsula Trails thread, cuz that's where we are! ***
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Crystal Mountain & Betsie River Trails

Postby volklgirl » April 22nd, 2007, 7:28 pm

The first 1/2 of the Crystal Mountain trails are clear and dry (sandy already, in fact). Pineapple and Crushed Pineapple need some grooming....lots of sticks, twigs, leaves and 1 big log. We had to guess if we were even on the trail a couple of times.

Betsie River is also clear and dry. There's 2 or 3 biggish trees down with no real by-pass. Otherwise it was a beautiful leisurely ride. This is a great trail to take your SO or noobie friends out for the first time. 7 miles of flat to very gently rolling single track through beautiful scenery.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby elsievo » April 23rd, 2007, 8:22 pm

Swedetown should be fairly open in by May 1, barring any more snow storms. I would guess that McGunns Loop should be open a week later.
A work day is being scheduled for May 12, removing deadfalls etc. hopefully will get some of the new, permanent signage up. Shooting to have the trails adequately marked by early June.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Arcadia, Betsie River part II

Postby volklgirl » April 28th, 2007, 9:06 pm

We rode the new Arcadia trail for the first time today. Wow, just wow! The way the trail makes use of the natural contours is outstanding and the views are stunning (lots of Trillium in bloom, and some gorgeous yellow flowers). Lots of short steep climbs and switchbacks, plus the entire way back is cut into to side of the hill, so bring your bike handling skills. This tiny little 1.6 miler is well worth the drive!!! There's 1 tree down but it's by-passable. Click each pic for a larger view.

The road in....lots and lots and lots of sand!
Climbing up out of the "parking lot" (marked by the pink flags) :lol:
Still climbing
One of the valleys the trail passes through
Trilliums EVERYWHERE!
The final valley on the way back
A short climb before heading down and out
Riding the ridge back to the car

We also hopped over to try the west loops of the Betsie River Trail. It's another typical DNR hike/bike trail. Nothing technical at all, just one short drop to the river and a long climb back out. The setting sun through the trees and glancing off the river was a picturesque moment. There's 2 big deadfalls and several muddy swampy pits with no easy go arounds due to the recent rain. The sand pits are starting already. :(
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby Di_bear » May 12th, 2007, 10:19 pm

Michigan Tech

Time Trial, Hairy Toad, Barking Frog, School Forest, Sherwood, Dragon, Ring, Troll, Ent, Gnome, Elf, Hobbit - all good!

There is a big tree down in the middle of Barking Frog.

Churning Rapids

A couple of soft spots, all-in-all, the trails are in great condition and begging for some action. :-)

Maasto Hiihto

Single track seems to be in excellent shape.
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby Di_bear » May 14th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Copper Harbor

The trails are in great shape with wet areas few and far between. Lots of trees down on the two track we took back from Paul's Plunge.

The red trail and Paul's Plunge were humbling in spots, technical in most, and quite fulfilling for the rider who wants a challenge. Dancing Bear is a merciless climb with bridges and twists and a fun technical section towards the end, after the long climb. Garden Brook was a nice start for the ride. It was a somewhat difficult climb, and I hear it's quite a fun descent.

Lots of work has been done on these trails, and lots more is to come. Sounds like more trails are going in.

The Map 2 link doesn't work. Here is the URL for an updated map:

http://www.keweenawadventure.com/ch_trail_map_1meg_05.jpg
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby Di_bear » May 28th, 2007, 4:23 pm

*** Michigan Tech ***

Awesome. Just plain awesome. I spent three hours of awesome out there today. Trails are awesome. Nice and packed, not sandy. Very fast. Navigating around the Dragon bridge sucks cuz there's a lake on the trails, but that's why that impossible bridge is there. Other than that...

Awesome.
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby Reddale » May 28th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Just finished 24 hours of Boyne. Was dry and dusty and Sat until the rain, then it packed down, and is awesome.!!! Extremely fast! A cold adult beverage to the people that keep that trail in such great shape and making it one of Michigans finest!
Reddale

Copper Harbor

Postby Di_bear » June 3rd, 2007, 4:43 pm

*** Copper Harbor ***

Awesome.

It's been rainy/misty up there, but the trails are in excellent condition. Very little standing water on the trails I rode, and, if I remember right, which I often don't, those puddles were only on the doubletrack and the entrance to one of singletracks I did.
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby elsievo » June 9th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Rode the 16 mile Keweenaw Chain drive course today at Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids trail sytems near Hancock with Di-Bear. The single track is nice and firm, the long bridge has been lengthened and the course seems pretty fast.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Postby Guppie » June 13th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Where do I park at Boyne to ride their trail system? I've only done the race last year so not familiar with the trail. Thanks much.
Guppie

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions