Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Boyne Parking

Postby kd » June 14th, 2007, 7:29 pm

I've only been there once, but here's what I remember...

If you want to take your bike to the top on the chairlift (fun stuff, runs 5-9 Fri&Sat), park near Boyne Country Sports which is near the bottom of the Hemlock chairlift. Basically, it's right in the middle of all the action (Lodge, Bar/Restaurant, Water park).

Otherwise, park near the tennis courts where it seems that the trails start/end.

We're going up this weekend. I'm hoping the trails are better marked as last year it seemed like everything was tore up due to condo construction.

My compliments to the people at Boyne as the rental bikes were good quality and inexpensive. Furthermore, the lift operators were very friendly towards mtn. bikers.

KD
kd

Postby jalopy jockey » June 15th, 2007, 10:01 pm

If your talking about Boyne Mountain. There is a parking lot right at the trailhead on the main resort road. Look for the cross country ski shop.

I've only been to the highlands for snowboarding, so I'm no help there.
jalopy jockey

Midland - Mackinaw Trail Condition???

Postby limited_148 » June 26th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Has anybody ridden the Midland to Mackinaw trail north of Mio recently? I have never ridden it and am wondering what kind of shape its in, how well its marked, etc...
limited_148

Bruno's Run for newbies??

Postby johnnyg » July 2nd, 2007, 9:45 am

Anyone have the skinny on Bruno's Run? I am going up to Seney from July 5-9 with some newbies, including my 8 year old son who has ridden before and loves it.

Will Bruno's Run be too much for them?

If it helps you to know, I think we would be best suited for a place comparable to Stony Creek, Addison Oaks and Bald Mountain North Unit.

Is Bruno's Run marked or is it impossible to find one's way around without a local?
johnnyg

Re: Bruno's Run for newbies??

Postby JonathanGennick » July 2nd, 2007, 10:37 am

johnnyg wrote:Anyone have the skinny on Bruno's Run? I am going up to Seney from July 5-9 with some newbies, including my 8 year old son who has ridden before and loves it.

Will Bruno's Run be too much for them?

I've an 11-year-old who gets discouraged rather quickly at hills and bugs. I would not take him to Bruno's Run. I would be cautious about taking someone new on that trail. Depends on the person though. My wife? No way. The high-school football player from across the street? Sure.

Bruno's Run does intersect highways at several points. You could, as a test run, begin from the roadside parking area off of H-13 by whatever lake it's by. From there, ride two miles or so on the trail and it loops back to H-13 at a point south from where you parked. You can bail out there and take the road back to the car. And at least one of the longest and hardest hills is on that stretch. Actually, there's probably more than one climb on that stretch, and there are some good bumpy sections too. You'd probably get a good feel after those first two miles as to whether everyone in the group was up to the remaining eight.

There are at least two other highway crossings that you may be able to take advantage of.

johnnyg wrote:Is Bruno's Run marked or is it impossible to find one's way around without a local?

It is reasonably well-marked. I rode it for the first time a few weeks ago. There are three places where I had trouble finding my way:

* There's a point where the trail crosses H-13, which is the highway that you'll take to get to the trailhead. You'll come out to the highway one one side of a bridge over a small river, and there will be no signs telling you what to do next. My first time through had me wandering around quite stumped for several minutes. If you are headed Eastish on the trail, you'll want to go up to the road, cross the bridge, and look down until you see some steps going down on the north side of the stream. They aren't too hard to find, but it helps to know to look for them. Walk your bikes down those steps. Keep on riding. (You can take roads to bypass those steps, but I wouldn't bother without having someone to show you. It's easy enough to just walk down the steps).

* There is another point where you will come out into the Pete's Lake campground. The trail there follows the road that campers use to drive cars in on. Follow the road. Go out the campground gates. Pass near by a parking area. You should see signs again where the trail continues into the woods. The road is actually signed too, so have faith -- those signs really are correct.

* Lastly, there is a place way out somewhere on the trail where you'll be flying downhill from a ridge, and there will be a really obvious and well-traveled trail going straight down towards some water. But Bruno's Run veers off to the right partway down that hill, and you may be too busy avoiding going over the bars to notice the turn. Twice I've flown down that hill only to realize that I'd missed my turn and had to climb back uphill again. If I recall correctly, the intersection there is with McKeever Hills trail. Not sure though. Just watch for the signs. The intersection is marked. It's just that the markings may not leap out at you while you're going down the hill.

Hope all this helps. Have fun!
JonathanGennick

Re: Bruno's Run for newbies??

Postby JonathanGennick » July 2nd, 2007, 10:42 am

johnnyg wrote:Anyone have the skinny on Bruno's Run? I am going up to Seney from July 5-9 with some newbies, including my 8 year old son who has ridden before and loves it.

I just noticed again your reference to Seney. There are numerous old two-tracks all over the Seney area. Some go right through the park. You could probably explore any number of two-tracks with your son.

A lot of my rides boil down to: 1) Jump on random old logging trail. 2) See where the heck I come out at. 3) Figure out how to get home again.
JonathanGennick

Bruno's Run for Newbies

Postby johnnyg » July 3rd, 2007, 8:23 am

Thanks for the info; I especially liked the wife/football player explanation. We will definitely do a trial run and try some of the logging roads around Seney. I may just have to go back to Bruno's Run with a couple of my more gung ho brothers. It sounds like the right trail for me but with the wrong group.

Peace,
John Gonway-- insert signature here
johnnyg

Eagle Run Trail

Postby chrisfloriano » July 12th, 2007, 11:44 am

On my 4th of July trip to Oscoda i decided to explore Eagle Run. I was a little worried by the question marks next to the trail name, but decided to be brave. The trail is very rustic and overgrown, but part of it runs next to the AuSable river and is very pretty. Overall, it is flat, but the grass adds an extra little challenge if you're up for it!

P.S. Wear some bug spray or ride fast!
Once you stop the horseflies feast.

Anyone savy to other trails in the Oscoda area?
chrisfloriano

Bruno's Run

Postby johnnyg » July 12th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Bruno's Run was great. 1st time I had no clue of what to expect (of course) and went over the handlebars 2x while trying to navigate a gnarly mess of roots. Toward the end of my second run, the park ranger warned me that a Mama Bear with 3 cubs was just spotted along the trail (gulp)-- this made every little rustle in the woods a bit more intriguing. Ultimately, I did not see the bears (did they see me?), which was bittersweet.

2nd time was wet and we had intermittent rain-- making everything more slippery. Every branch touched brought a new shower-- fun. Still no bears-- but we had a great lake, Moccasin Lake, to swim in after the ride.

Btw, it is actually about 3.5 miles for the trial run from the trailhead on H13 at Moccasin Lake to the next hook up with H13. The rest of the info posted by JonnathanGemnick was spot on (thanks!!! and thanks especially for the key to the steps on the north bank of the Indian River).
johnnyg

Re: Bruno's Run

Postby JonathanGennick » July 12th, 2007, 2:08 pm

johnnyg wrote:Bruno's Run was great. 1st time I had no clue of what to expect (of course) and went over the handlebars 2x while trying to navigate a gnarly mess of roots.
...snippage...
Btw, it is actually about 3.5 miles for the trial run from the trailhead on H13 at Moccasin Lake to the next hook up with H13. The rest of the info posted by JonnathanGemnick was spot on (thanks!!! and thanks especially for the key to the steps on the north bank of the Indian River).

Hey, I'm glad you liked the run. I should've sent you my phone number. I might've run out with you. Seems like I was pretty tied up the week of the 4th though.

Thanks for correcting my mileage. I don't have a computer on my bike, so all of my mileage numbers are swags. (Actually, they are more like wags :lol: ).
JonathanGennick

downed tree at boyne

Postby mynameisdoug » July 23rd, 2007, 1:45 pm

theres a downed tree on the downhill after the shred sign on the blue loop.
i got a call from my friend to post this, so im not to sure about the exacts. but he did tell me that it is to high off the ground to go over. he also has no saw so he cant take it down
Its 9:45 work starts at 10, so it looks like im calling in sick again
mynameisdoug

wildwood hills

Postby ffruff22 » July 24th, 2007, 9:05 am

anyone give me any info on the trail wildwood hills? I plan on riding it this week sometime on vacation (probably thursday morning). Its near indian river.

Thanks!
ffruff22

Questions: Accomodations near trail

Postby Borx » July 25th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Does anybody have an info on accomodations near the Shingle Mill Pathway? My wife and I are heading up there in September with a 2 yr. old and a babysitter. Camping won't really work for us. Anything close to the trail? Anything near enough stuff for a 2 yr. old to do so he doesn't hog tie the babysitter out of boredome?
Borx

Postby malaca » July 30th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Tried to ride here today, but only finished the first loop. Had done HH earlier in the day and was pooped. Seems like a nice park, and I will be back.
malaca

Postby MudShine » August 1st, 2007, 10:46 am

Ogemaw Hills... is this Northern? Ah, anyway, super fun SS riding with some sweeping fun downhills sections. There would be a great scenic overlook, but the trees are growing too tall & leafy. Trail markers 1-24 are for ski turns = flow interruption & "OOPS missed a number!" moments. The real thrill is exiting the parking lot and making a left down the paved road that goes into West Branch ------- BIIiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg downhillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - not as bad as it appears when riding back up, honest! :)

While you're in the area - check this out? :?
Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
Northern MMBA cat wrangler & secretary
MudShine

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions