Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby PlantPowered » October 23rd, 2017, 1:09 pm

I was out yesterday afternoon and noticed the damage as well. It truly sucks because you can see the hard work you all put into the trails. I noticed a new little log drop feature on Crooked Vulture near the bridge. Very cool.
Yeti SB66 C
Cinelli SS MASHer
REEB SS 29'er
PlantPowered

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 24th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I got out tonight and put in a thick plywood patch on the damaged portion of the bridge. Will get to the BS bridge next
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 6th, 2017, 7:50 am

The East loop ITC power line corridor bridge has been rebuilt - AGAIN (said like Forest Gump).
This time with pressure treated 2" x 6" boards that weigh like ten pounds each and feel really strong.
A BIG thanks goes out to Rich Faunce and an anonymous volunteer from Florida for coming out on a
Sunday morning to help knock this out in just under two hours ! And to Pat that donated the lumber for the repair!

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 28th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Rode a few few sections a few times over, west Loop, Lucky Dawg, the portion of the East Loop along the river, and the hill/wetlands area; pretty much most of what's north of the river. Saw one other set of fat bike tracks going through Lucky Dawg and along the river. I did hit fresh powder going east of the old car, along the DTE power lines. Noticed someone snowshoeing creating paths through brush, even in the wetlands, typically that's not allowed at most parks, use care not to follow those, they are tempting as they look nicely packed down, but I do not believe they are "legal". FYI - don't give up trying to get to the trail. Between the parking lot and the trail entrance north of the river snow conditions are downright nasty, packed down and bumpy from all sorts of trail users. Once you get in the trail, the ride is much better.
Steve_Balogh

Postby pcollinskume » January 7th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Myself, neighbor and a team member have been riding and trying to get some fat tracks on the trail.
New plan...purchased snowshoes and am making a pull behind grooming device. Maybe done by the end of the month? (note: not my snowshoe tracks since I just got them this week)
I did take them for a spin around the pump track a few times, and made a little loop on the trail east to the power lines, crooked vulture, across the river and some of the south trail.
More to come.
pcollinskume

Postby c0nsumer » January 8th, 2018, 4:21 am

pcollinskume wrote:Myself, neighbor and a team member have been riding and trying to get some fat tracks on the trail.
New plan...purchased snowshoes and am making a pull behind grooming device. Maybe done by the end of the month? (note: not my snowshoe tracks since I just got them this week)
I did take them for a spin around the pump track a few times, and made a little loop on the trail east to the power lines, crooked vulture, across the river and some of the south trail.
More to come.

As a suggestion, we tried a pull-behind groomer for CRAMBA stuff before. It just... doesn't work that great. Just snowshoeing alone with something like MSR Evos works pretty darn well. Four passes (two people out and back) is enough to knock the snow down and get it in ridable shape. Get a party out and you'll have great success.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby pcollinskume » January 10th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. Still gonna look into making something. Trails are short enough. I'll play, and if it works it works. If it sucks...lesson learned. It gives my scrap wood purpose :P
Also good cross training XD
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » January 21st, 2018, 8:03 pm

Trails are thawing and muddy.
If you're making ruts you shouldn't be on the trail...
Hit the pavement or dirt roads.
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » February 11th, 2018, 9:30 pm

I've been ghetto grooming the trails with snowshoes and a 70 lb sled. Haven't gotten 100% but I would say ~80% groomed as of this evening.
People were walking on it so I had to double back. Hoping it sets up good and will give it a ride tomorrow after work.
Kinda playing with it to see how it does. If this is something that I end up doing a lot I may print off some of the signs that DTE uses, but it likely wont stop anyone.
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » February 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm

pcollinskume wrote:I've been ghetto grooming the trails with snowshoes and a 70 lb sled. Haven't gotten 100% but I would say ~80% groomed as of this evening.
People were walking on it so I had to double back. Hoping it sets up good and will give it a ride tomorrow after work.
Kinda playing with it to see how it does. If this is something that I end up doing a lot I may print off some of the signs that DTE uses, but it likely wont stop anyone.

Test rode a section I groomed tonight...not rideable...kept breaking through the crust despite very little psi (and 5" tires).
I doubt the cold temps will help much, but we'll see.
~PC
pcollinskume

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 13th, 2018, 6:08 am

pcollinskume wrote:I've been ghetto grooming the trails with snowshoes and a 70 lb sled. Haven't gotten 100% but I would say ~80% groomed as of this evening.

Curious, if you are going to put up the same signs DTE uses, did you get permission from the city / land manager to do so? There’s a few other things that are going on this trail I know are not legal, such as the snowshoer I posted about earlier. Someone else is out there creating paths in the snow right off the MTB trail.
Steve_Balogh

Postby pcollinskume » February 26th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I only snowshoe the trail. I've been in contact with the TC. Grooming signs TBD, and likely an addition for next winter. Plus my cheap hardware store sled broke.
No clue who is going through the brush / wetlands. I'm out there a lot and always keeping my eyes open. The new trend is either a super meaty 29+ tire or a dirt bike (but not a big one). Tire width seems to be around 100cc and not braping on turns, but they have been all over...pump track included.

In other news:
Trail is flooded. Lots of sections underwater. Likely not dry for a while, but such is the nature of this trail...
pcollinskume

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm

pcollinskume wrote:I only snowshoe the trail. I've been in contact with the TC. Grooming signs TBD, and likely an addition for next winter. Plus my cheap hardware store sled broke.
No clue who is going through the brush / wetlands. I'm out there a lot and always keeping my eyes open. The new trend is either a super meaty 29+ tire or a dirt bike (but not a big one). Tire width seems to be around 100cc and not braping on turns, but they have been all over...pump track included.

In other news:
Trail is flooded. Lots of sections underwater. Likely not dry for a while, but such is the nature of this trail...

Lots of shenanigans from locals, once followed a guy on an ATV to those apartments in the woods, and then there’s people that live off the ITC trail that ride all kinds of ATVs and even garden tractors on the paths.
Steve_Balogh

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 5th, 2018, 7:38 am

I got a text from Rich yesterday about the bridge at the Eastern most end of Crooked Vulture (behind the houses before the ITC power line corridor)
being moved over by high water in that area. We met at the site and it is more than just out of place, the trees we used for stringers many years ago
rotted and the planks are coming off on approximately one half. It needs a total rebuild and I am in the process of coming up with a plan for some new sections.

PLEASE don't use it in the meantime and we blocked off the down/up portion of the trail to alert users not to cross on the rotten end.
I will post a warning sign tonight on the other end. It is really wet back there right now, so I think I'm going to wait a bit for a repair unless it is dry in the coming weeks?

Thanks,
Gary

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby pcollinskume » March 23rd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Trail is still wet (no surprise).
Just FYI for anyone looking for updated conditions hoping to ride while it's nice.
Look at dirt road options.
pcollinskume

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions