Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby pcollinskume » March 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Guess what? Still not rideable...BUT exciting plans in the works!
Met Gary on Saturday and walked around the trail and discussed 2018 plans.
-Main goal is bridge repair / replacement for safety reasons.
-May open up some new trail (will need a workday, date TBD).
-New re-route on the east loop (far west end) where the trail was flooded by the rain / thaw last month. Basically a clean slate. Logs and dead-fall have been moved to map out the trail. The re-route has 3 log obstacles that are partially sunken into the ground with approaches (that will settle) and hopefully keep them from moving. Also, a new log pile made with (mostly) fresh logs. Dirt was a bit scarce, but I will be monitoring progress and build appropriately.

Exciting right!? You bet it is...just don't ride it yet...unless it dries up.
pcollinskume

Postby mgovolt » April 5th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Is this the only thread for the Morton-Taylor trails?
I ask because I am trying to find out if there are any kid friendly weekly group rides at this trail.

I am looking for a kids oriented mountain bike club with weekly rides at this trail, with a further goal of a kids team that can do races together, ala http://miscabike.org. The race team might be a stretch to start with but how about a weekly kids group ride, are there any now?

If something like this already exists in Canton, I would love to join up. If not, I'm willing to help start one, but I would need help. I have polled a few online groups and parents of 14 kids responded as interested, so I suspect many more kids would be interested if it were a real thing.
mgovolt

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 6th, 2018, 11:31 am

mgovolt, I don't know of any organized kid friendly group rides there, but it would be a good place to start one!

There is an established pump track which I see many kids riding and that is a great place to develop some handling skills before hitting the singletrack.
Other advantages are the various sections are short (1-2 miles) and there is generally a low amount of adult biking traffic, so a slower kid(s) wouldn't be an issue.

The best beginner sections would be the South loop that encircles the South wetlands behind the main parking lot and the first half of the East loop.
And as the kids develop their skills the technical sections can be more challenging. I am too busy to help you, but think that you might get some interest in this.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby jcounter » April 9th, 2018, 9:15 am

Hey Guys, new to the Forum and this is my first post. My neighborhood backs up the to start of the gravel trails (off of Roundtable) and I literally had no idea there was some single track hidden in the woods! I just ditched my cross bike for a Cannondale Cujo and was so stoked to see there was some single track so close to my house. I haven't started looking for these trails yet but was looking for any tips on finding them (I assume its quite easy from the parking lot) and tips for riding them. Looking forward to getting out there as soon as possible. Also, I would love to volunteer to help with any trail maintenance or building and if anyone wants to ride let me know. I am just getting back into Mountain Biking and would welcome some riding friends. Thanks!
jcounter

Postby jcounter » April 9th, 2018, 9:19 am

Also because my background stems mostly from single speed cross bikes and BMX I’d love any advice on getting my bike dailed in, so many gears and suspension haha. Thanks guys.
jcounter

Postby b_b » April 9th, 2018, 9:34 am

mmba.org > About Us > PotoMBA > Trails will get you to the trail info pages.

p.s. Lots of fast guys running single speeds some even with rigid carbon forks often with plus size rims/tires.
Cujo looks like a fun bike!
b_b

Postby jcounter » April 10th, 2018, 9:54 am

Thanks! Can’t wait to ride it.
jcounter

Postby mgovolt » April 10th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Re: Kids Group Rides
I am speaking with Canton Leisure services about them publishing a kids mntn biking club with group rides weekly. I learned from other groups to go thru the city and they do all the publicity/insurance. Hopefully some parents on this board have young'uns and can assist when the time comes. I will post more info when there is some.
On a related note, if there is enough interest from this kids group, I was hoping we could form a team for the MISCA bike races (miscabike.org).
mgovolt

Postby WICCMB » April 11th, 2018, 8:39 am

Please post about this in the MISCA and/or Ride Announcements portions of this Forum. That's a better place to attract attention for what you are discussing, rather than in "Trail Conditions".
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby pcollinskume » April 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm

+1 for MiSCA.

I also live in the sub by the trail. If you need help navigating or finding kid friendly trails I'm happy to show you around.

~PC
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » April 11th, 2018, 9:57 pm

In case anyone was wondering...trail is wet. Muddy. Stick to dirt roads/gravel path.

The re-route we put in has served it's purpose well though! I rode by on the gravel path and there was standing water where the trail used to be and the re-route was puddle free.
Excited to see this trail gaining some traction! Looks like I'll have a neighborhood trail crew!
~PC
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » May 4th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Trails are getting drier. A lot of the low spots are the typical swamp though.

I'll be out this evening with the chain saw to cut up some downed trees and clean up flood debris (in case anyone wants to help). est. ~5-8 pm ish.

~PC
pcollinskume

Postby pcollinskume » May 10th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Rain + Morton-Taylor = Soggy Mess.
Suggest trails on higher ground.
Lots of trees down still (I'm working through them with my chain saw slowly).
Bridges in disrepair. TC is building new ones.
Have ideas to improve the trail? Post up and get in touch with the TC.
~PC
pcollinskume

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 27th, 2018, 1:59 pm

It's the time of the season to help fix up our trails and keep them good to go for the rest of the season.

Not sure what the agenda will be for this one, but Patrick Collins, Rich Faunce and I will be out there
in the next couple weeks to do some much needed work and determine what we will need help with for the work day.

Where - Morton-Taylor Trail system (Lower Rouge River Recreation Area) trailhead parking lot.
When - Saturday, July 14th meet in the lot between 8:30-9 and discuss the work details for the day.
What - Trail trimming, possibly some signage installation, possibly pumptrack trimming/maintenance, etc.

As usual, bring protective eye wear (cheap safety glasses), gloves, water, bug spray, rake, shovel, lopers/folding hand saw, willingness to sweat and swat insects, bike if you want to ride afterwards

I will put updates on this forum and get more details as the date approaches.

Hope to see you out there and thanks for reading,
Gary (SANTA CRUZ)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby pcollinskume » June 29th, 2018, 8:27 am

The meadow loop has been weed eat'd.
I am looking into obtaining a mower for the field south of the main parking lot (and any other areas).
Hopefully this will help facilitate our workday projects by having the trail cleared/passable.

If you have not ridden Morton Taylor, bring your bike to the workday. Maybe we can do some group rides / trail tours after we're done.

~PC
pcollinskume

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions