Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby jmf003 » April 4th, 2013, 4:37 pm

For technical reasons, single receiver GPS devices are always subject to drift. Normally it's just a few yards or less but I've seen it up to 1/4 mile. (We use the technology in our business.)

Best bet is to ride the course, see the results, and ride again if needed. All coordinates will eventually regress to the mean and you should be able to get at least one good looking trail.

FWIW....
jmf003

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 4th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Did 3 laps tonight. I've been riding RHP all winter which was fun, but it was great to ride today in nice weather. No ice/snow, single layer of clothing, warm feet, fast trail, etc.

The trail surface is awesome. Only soft areas are the s-bend in the 1st section by the trailhead, the west fence that Michael asked us to detour around, and the fence line going back to the Munger mounds. Was on my fat bike and left no ruts, and I tried to smooth most of the deep ruts from previous riders. The steep downhill coming off the not-officially-completed mound is also soft, but it needs to be compacted by riding in anyway.

I was able to open up the deadfall blocking the trail on the backside of the crater. The only remaining completely obstructed section is the downhill at ~1.6 miles. I tried to open it but couldn't free the branches up without a saw.

Plenty of face slappers, low hanging branches, and a few ride arounds that we'll have to fix on Sat, but the trail is very rideable now.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby shopsonian » April 4th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Is it rideable with a normal tire currently? Would love to ride tomorrow in the sun, but wanted to make sure it was dry enough?
shopsonian

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 4th, 2013, 7:35 pm

If you're careful in the areas I listed (and walk them if necessary) you should be fine.

There were several other riders out tonight on "normal" MTBs and they didn't seem to be causing ruts.

Make sure you have a helmet and glasses to protect from all the low hanging stuff.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby dnale » April 4th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Chris you are killing me. I have got to get out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby ryanmcg » April 4th, 2013, 8:16 pm

jmf003 wrote:For technical reasons, single receiver GPS devices are always subject to drift. Normally it's just a few yards or less but I've seen it up to 1/4 mile. (We use the technology in our business.)

Best bet is to ride the course, see the results, and ride again if needed. All coordinates will eventually regress to the mean and you should be able to get at least one good looking trail.

FWIW....

Good point! Best bet would be to just crowdsource existing .gpx files from all riders.
ryanmcg

Postby dnale » April 4th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I've ridden before with both my garmin and the Trimble app on my phone. If there was a quick tutorial on how to share the files I would do that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 15th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I should be able to make it on Sat.

Trail was pretty good tonight. Amazing given all the recent rain. There is a soft spot on the N-S fenceline after the big log pile. And there is standing water after the gravel pit right before you cross the paved walking path. Looks like someone ride through it and created a nice rut. Ill try to smooth it with my fatbike when it dries out.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 23rd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Adam, it looks like you might have missed the new ridge line in the back of the mound section. I rough sketched in the new section in blue below.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby dnale » April 23rd, 2013, 5:37 pm

Wanted to get out tonight and now it's raining...grrr
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 2nd, 2013, 8:20 pm

Did a 32:35 lap tonight - my best yet with the new ridge mound line. Like Michael mentioned yesterday, I was the only rider tonight which seems crazy on such a beautiful day. Trail is great except for the muddy spot after the pond at the end. There are a few trees that seem to be slowly leaning across the trail little by little but for now they're ok. The meadow sections are starting to grow in earnest now after the rain and warm temps.

Looks like the new slides are gonna be fun in the water park.

Michael, I feel really bad that I can't commit to adopting a section of the trail. I will continue to attend trail work days as I'm able, and I always ride with a hand saw to take car of small obstacles as I encounter them.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 4th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Trail was in great shape this afternoon, dry, fast, I cleaned all of the new sections on my fatbike - those are breaking in nicely. There was a rut in the mudhole by the road, I flattened that out by riding through it a few times - the sun is drying that out, will probably be solid tomorrow.

One ugly thing happened to me before the large logpile: Going uphill into a switchback my bike's rear tire kicked up in the air, felt something weird catch my right pedal, almost sent me into the brush, but I didn't crash. Went back to look at what I hit - was a 7-8" stick someone stuck into the ground on the right side of the trail. My right pedal came down on top of this "pungee stick" which was strong enough to take that impact. I never saw it, thankfully my right ankle didn't get speared by this booby trap. I pulled it out of the ground, clear to me this was placed by someone, was not random deadfall. If I had been on my 29r, I would have probably gone through the brush and faceplanted the tree :evil:
Steve_Balogh

Postby shopsonian » May 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Trail looks great. Haven't ridden there is a few weeks. 21min to the fence line, 33min total, but missed the new big mound turnoff. This is becoming a really nice trail. I could cut some time off with better legs/lungs, but also with knowing the trail better and better handling, so to me that's a good trail. The chimichanga for lunch and the enchiladas for dinner right before the ride probably didn't help either. :lol:
shopsonian

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 14th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I finally made it out there on my MTB. I haven't rode the RHP single track since the first trail day. Trail is riding fast. Even the new munger section felt fast. There are a lot of slappers out there so watch out. I also found a tick on my leg. I noticed it on the sidewalk after the munger mounds. That's the first time I've seen a tick out there.
Mikeyb64

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

This explains the ticks. http://www.annarbor.com/pets/ticks-pets-dogs-cats-humans-how-to-prevent-illness-bites/

@michael48197
I like my Garmin Edge 500. Battery life is great, but if I was shopping around for a new GPS I would get the Garmin 510 or 810. Garmin just updated their line and the Edge 510 & 810 are the new models. The 510 & 810 are touch screen and have way better UI than the outgoing 500 & 800. I highly suggest to pick up the heart rate chest strap and the speed/cadence sensor no matter what model you get. The best feature of the new models is cell-phone integration. It adds in live location tracking (great for family), fitness sensor tracking (PRs like Strava), as well as weather information from your phone.

This guy does great reviews if you wan to learn more. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
Mikeyb64

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions