Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Hard to believe it rained this week from riding the trail tonight. It's dry and ready to go. I brought my fatbike expecting some mushy spots but found none.

Lots of face slappers so grab a few as you go. It was nice to see John Galt and Michael out tonight on slapper patrol.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 24th, 2013, 7:54 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Hard to believe it rained this week from riding the trail tonight. It's dry and ready to go. I brought my fatbike expecting some mushy spots but found none.

Lots of face slappers so grab a few as you go. It was nice to see John Galt and Michael out tonight on slapper patrol.

After riding RHP today I went to Home Depot and bought some pruning tools and was planning on doing some trimming in the AM. Will there be anything left? :wink: I was also planning on taking a shovel to a few spots in the upper mound.
Mikeyb64

Postby michael48197 » May 25th, 2013, 7:06 am

Mikeyb64 wrote: After riding RHP today I went to Home Depot and bought some pruning tools and was planning on doing some trimming in the AM. Will there be anything left? :wink: I was also planning on taking a shovel to a few spots in the upper mound.

I appreciate you being proactive in making the trail better. There are definitely still some face-slappers out there, but much fewer and less severe than before John_Galt, ChrisInYpsi and I went through yesterday. However, I'm thinking that the upper mound should be kept in as primative state as reasonable. That climbing turn needs a wider benchcut especially as the rider passes the tree on the right, but there are only one or two compressions that I think should be SLIGHTLY modified. Don't "top" the bump, but find some dirt to the side to fill in and pack down the swale. If you really feel like putting in a lot of time and energy, you could try starting to build up a berm at the bottom of the hill at the end of the section. Great care will be needed if building a berm to prevent forming a dam and retaining water. If you do it, you definitely can't excavate in front to push soil up into a berm. That will just create a trough for water. Creating a good berm might work be starting with a couple of good logs, arrange them in the right shape and then back fill some soil dug up from elsewhere.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Saturday I trimmed almost everything I could reach for the first 2 miles. I took me way longer that I was expecting so that's as far as I got with the trail work. I saw about 10 rides out there while I was working. There are a few new lines and a jump in the crater area. Ticks are still out so keep checking. Trail is rocking today. Did a full lap with the new stuff in 25:43. 8)
Mikeyb64

Postby dnale » May 26th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Dang you guys are killing me. I've been reassigned to the Cleveland area and I miss riding my in back yard

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 26th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:Did a full lap with the new stuff in 25:43. 8)

Yow..... Nice!
ChrisInYpsi

Postby john_galt » May 30th, 2013, 9:03 pm

^ Ok, cool. I didn't want to take this on by myself. I'm estimating at least 8 wheel barrows of dirt to build an 18 inch berm. The keys to a good berm is good dirt and proper radius. And like Michael said, don't make a water dam.
john_galt

Postby john_galt » June 9th, 2013, 9:10 am

parttime wrote:If anyone has any requests as far as locations to be mowed

Bemis connector
john_galt

Postby john_galt » June 9th, 2013, 9:29 am

Mowed most of the 2nd mile including sections that we didn't cut last season. Mower over-heated at the grassy section after the lake bluffs. I prioritized which sections to cut based off how badly overgrown they were which paid off because I got all the worst sections before the mower pooped out.
john_galt

Postby ChrisInYpsi » June 26th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear this. That section has become my favorite in the park and I'll hate to see it closed.

If there's anything we can do to help please let us know. We built that section in a day and could probably do a reroute in that time as well.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » July 10th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I haven't been out to RHP in about 10 days as I was out of town. Has the staff put up any signs out indicating temporary closure out in the Munger Mounds? Are the west meadows totally over grown now?

Unfortunately, Parttime tells me that he has a lot on his plate right now and won't have the time in the few weeks to get the brush hog and mow out at RHP. The push mower is still in the shop, but it would be nearly impossible to mow the west meadows with it any way. And it doesn't make much sense to try cutting a mile of thick meadows with the Stihl trimmer. Does anyone have a pick-up truck with ramps or a small flatbed trailer to transport the brush hog from Carpenter Brothers Hardware up on Plymouth Road? Or maybe Parttime will let us use his flatbed trailer to pull behind a SUV or pick up? If not, mowing the west meadows may have to wait for a few more weeks. Can anyone help out? Have friend with a trailer or truck with ramps?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 13th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Rode a few laps for the first time in several weeks tonight. No issues with water, and the areas that have been mowed/trimmed recently are great. Still a bit of work needed in the orig trail sections, and the newer mound and meadow sections are quite bad with heavy grass at shoulder height in many areas. I skipped the whole Munger loop on my second lap.

There is now signage and brush blocking the new upper ridge line in the mounds. Both the start of the section at the bottom of the hill and the end of the section where it rejoins the end of the skinny mounds are blocked. Looks like the park gave us a timing goal for the reroute too:

Also, the skeeters are out in force. Great night for a ride though.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby mpw29er » July 13th, 2013, 11:24 pm

I went for a ride around 6:00 pm this evening and the trail was nice and dry. There was a decent amount of overgrowth in certain areas as Chris had mentioned. The mosquitos were bad when I stopped to repair a busted chain about 2 miles in, up until that point I had no bug issues.
mpw29er

Postby john_galt » July 20th, 2013, 6:58 pm

michael48197 wrote:I can't image how John_Galt is going to move the main trunk of the tree to make a skinny!! [/b]

I will use magic. And some advice from the master Tree Farm TC...
john_galt

Postby G.Cook » July 23rd, 2013, 6:37 pm

The line I try to get is as heavy duty as possible.
As for service I go to a shop in Pinckney. It's not cheap. I had the same problem and it was the air cleaner/ filter if I recall correctly.
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions