CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby wrob » February 14th, 2018, 4:44 pm

I rode earlier today, 23degrees at the start& 41degrees at the finish. It was hardpacked & fast for those who can ride fast,...i'm slow;... i worked on some of the corner wipeouts on the BTT (i still need some snowshoes) and i tried to make the "skinny" approaches doable. The #2 to#6 switch-
backs still very rideable at that time.....i'll say it again....that snowshoe grooming was fantastic!!!
Thx so much! I'm having a wonderful time with my first year of snow riding! The Mastodon shock
works great on the chatter bumps which is nice for my old shoulders.smooth as "butta" ! handlebars crossed, mother nature please keep it rideable for my fellow snow riders this week-
end!.
wrob

Postby ed van slambrouck » February 15th, 2018, 9:49 am

I went out at 4pm yesterday 2/14 as soon as i rode my 4.6" fatboy on the snow I turned around. I was sinking in 3 inch on the the pack. It is just to warm and melting. the 10 forecast shows mid 40 even 50s. We maybe done with the snow/fat tires :- (
ed van slambrouck

Postby mschaffer66 » February 15th, 2018, 12:04 pm

The weather is showing a low of 12 degrees on Friday night. Would that be enough to make Saturday morning before noon feasible? Just curious because A) I don't want to hurt the trail and B) I don't want to plan on it if people that know more about this than I do think it's a going to be a no-go.
mschaffer66

Postby PK » February 15th, 2018, 3:38 pm

You'll need studs.
I would expect there to be a lot of ice.

Pete
PK

Postby PK » February 16th, 2018, 4:51 am

If the weather forecast for Saturday into Sunday AM holds and we get a little snow on top of the softened Ice of Saturday, It might be perfect for a Sunday dawn ride.

"Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 34. South southwest wind 7 to 11 mph.
Saturday Night A chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West southwest wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. West wind 7 to 9 mph becoming south in the afternoon."

Pete
PK

Postby mschaffer66 » February 16th, 2018, 9:08 am

After yesterday and with the warmth today there might not be any snow left come the weekend :(
mschaffer66

Postby c0nsumer » February 16th, 2018, 9:10 am

mschaffer66 wrote:After yesterday and with the warmth today there might not be any snow left come the weekend :(

Frozen dirt > slush/mud.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jreyst » February 16th, 2018, 11:37 am

Yeah I rode pavement there yesterday. Trail was a 6" deep slurry of soup everywhere. When that is gone and the dirt freezes again it will be good, but there's a few 50+ degree days coming up...
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby PK » February 18th, 2018, 11:29 am

Bumpy, mostly clear ice this morning. We managed to ride about a mile of it, then bailed-out and rode pavement. It might be OK with studs but it's very bumpy. The studs won't always be in contact with the ground.

Pete
PK

Postby PK » March 21st, 2018, 6:05 pm

The trail is drying out nicely but just on the high ground.
Think Snow Bike route for southbound and the 2-track for Northbound.
The lazy river was fine.
We skipped the newest portion going south that is before the lazy river.
Judging from what we saw, I've got to believe the BTT section (Includes Nessie) is very wet. (There's still snow out there.)
Fat bikes might want to explore some of the bench-cut trail sections that we avoided and work on flattening-out the ruts and maybe walk the really bad areas.

Pete
PK

Postby c0nsumer » March 22nd, 2018, 5:53 pm

RB is in great shape right now. It's all fine to ride, regular or fat. Help pack the ruts down before the dry in, but they really are minimal... Probably 50' - 80' total of notable ruts, and only 20' or so of semi-wet stuff.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jreyst » March 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm

Update from Friday afternoon: muddy and greasy ... Do NOT recommend unless you like cleaning massive mud off your bike.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby Waynosan » March 24th, 2018, 10:43 am

Anyone chime in with a 3rd opinion? Steve and John's take seem to be in conflict. Was hoping to get out somewhere in the next hour or two. I know that Stony is a no-go based on what I saw last Sunday and the fact that temperature has just been bounding around 0 C..
Waynosan

Postby c0nsumer » March 24th, 2018, 11:07 am

Waynosan wrote:Anyone chime in with a 3rd opinion? Steve and John's take seem to be in conflict. Was hoping to get out somewhere in the next hour or two. I know that Stony is a no-go based on what I saw last Sunday and the fact that temperature has just been bounding around 0 C..

Thursday was GREAT, Friday was not. Saturday (today) is probably good before the thaw, bad after. Might need to wait until Sunday morning by now?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Waynosan » March 24th, 2018, 11:17 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Thursday was GREAT, Friday was not. Saturday (today) is probably good before the thaw, bad after. Might need to wait until Sunday morning by now?

Thanks, I'll head out and check it out... if it's melting then I'll just go for a cruise on the paved route. Peace
Waynosan

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions