New trails st Stony Creek

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

Re: New trails st Stony Creek

Postby b_b » December 23rd, 2018, 1:31 pm

Yeah lower mi will never be a trail destination just don’t have the terrain and elevation. Big Kame is nice treat and probably about the best we can do around here and I know costs more in materials and time
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » December 23rd, 2018, 1:52 pm

Personally, I think that even if it's not a destination to draw people in as tourists it's still nice what we have. We have quite a bit of trail, and quite a good variety as much as we can. And while it's not the big burly tech stuff that can be a lot of fun, it's still fun in its own way.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » December 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm

Yeah we have pretty good quantity and variety for what we have to work with. I’m 30 minutes from highland brighton pontiac lake and 45 from poto & dte and can ride to a few trails.
b_b

Postby Roy » December 24th, 2018, 9:33 am

I can't remember anybody (in the MMBA ) ever saying the purpose of the MMBA advocacy was to draw huge crowds (destination trail) to the mountain bike trails. MMBA advocacy is more about opening Mountain Biking to all and there by gaining a broad base of support across the state's voters.
The great thing about most of the trails that MMBA helped develop is our trails draw both runners and hikers.

Roy
Roy

Postby ryguy79 » December 24th, 2018, 12:10 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Not everybody wants a rockless rootless jumpless speed trail. I digress

That's kinda the problem with the Lower Peninsula. Outside of gravel, we don't have rock. For the most part, in the Stony area, once you get through the clay it's all gravel and round field stone. Thus, we really can't build rocky/steep stuff in our area: there's no usable rock and anything steep built in sand/gravel erodes quite quickly. So, we build to our strengths and you get rolling, sweeping, fast stuff. And so we travel to ride big rocks.

(To note about DTE, almost all the big rock there was purchased and brought in. It's not native.)

Rockless, rootless, and jumpless doesn't have to equal steep and unsustainable. Glacial Hills passes within feet of some good sized rocks that could have been incorporated into interesting B-lines for riders looking for that experience. Up here there's Boyne School Forest and what was just built in Leelanau - it is possible to build more interesting trails. Clearly there are riders here that want that type of trail experience.
ryguy79

Postby Roy » December 28th, 2018, 8:41 am

RY,
Yes it is possible, but who is going to do it?
All the new trails are ( even stony ) are being jobbed out.
The new trails will be even less exciting-more like dirt sidewalks - no more chutes like at PLR.

You would need to start an all new club (organization) to build the trails you want.
It will take you a minimum of about 100 to 200 volunteers to do much, because on a good day you might get maybe 30 of the 200 show up for a trail day. And then there is all that paper work and land mangers to kiss up to
and bla bla bla ----

It you really think you want know start a new club go talk to Todd Scott, or maybe Dirt!

Roy
Roy

Postby PK » July 22nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

PK

Postby racer X » July 24th, 2019, 11:53 am

It looks like $500,000 is needed to do this work , is this something the park is paying for ? Is the funding already available or is this a tentative mock up of what could happen if funding was available ?
racer X

Postby c0nsumer » July 24th, 2019, 1:32 pm

racer X wrote:It looks like $500,000 is needed to do this work , is this something the park is paying for ? Is the funding already available or is this a tentative mock up of what could happen if funding was available ?

Park is leading the fund development, CRAMBA is being supportive and has to date donated a lot of volunteer time and $3000 cash. We've got about $110K raised, and recommended phasing is in the PDF linked above. Metroparks are still working on the construction timeline.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby PK » September 13th, 2019, 4:56 am

Some info found on a recent GOOGLE search shows that the trail build bids for the first phase (New trails near the Westbranch parking lots) are due in near the end of Sept.
http://www.trailbuilders.org/projects-for-bid/shelden-trails-development-and-construction-phase-1

Pete
PK

Previous

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance