Whitmore Lake

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

Whitmore Lake

Postby Whitmore_Lake » August 9th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Hello,

Anyone have any interest in helping me with the six mile route of biking available in the Whitmore Lake/Northfield Township area? If so, then please email me at perimetertrail@gmail.com

Our township has a lakefront area that reminds me of Lakeshore Park at Novi. The township’s proximity to US23 is very convenient for folks to meet up for a ride. Additionally, we are now connected to the M 36 Lakeland trail, via the newly paved Lemen Rd. multi use trail.

These are fun times in Whitmore Lake. Our downtown is improving rapidly. But we need some trail builders and bikers. I hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks for your time.

-Scott
Whitmore_Lake

Re: Whitmore Lake

Postby Whitmore_Lake » August 19th, 2020, 10:44 pm

It’s been difficult figuring out how to get the MMBA involved.
Last edited by Whitmore_Lake on August 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whitmore_Lake

Postby c0nsumer » August 19th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Whitmore_Lake wrote:The MMBA has embarrassed themselves by showing zero interest in this project.

The forum is effectively a backwater these days. If you would like to reach the MMBA it'd be best to use the contact form on the MMBA website instead of just hoping someone sees this post: https://www.mmba.org/contact/

That all said, the MMBA no longer does any direct local trail development. In that area MCMBA (https://mcmba.org) is the group that handles MTB trail development, including at Lakeshore Park. If you'd like to bring this to their attention it'd be best to contact them directly.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Whitmore_Lake » August 22nd, 2020, 10:26 am

Thank you c0nsumer. I have used the contact form in the past, with no response. The MCMBA did reach out to me. I did email them back. They are digesting and discussing the project. I apologize to the MMBA for calling them an embarrassment. They are a great organization, including their chapters such as MCMBA.
Whitmore_Lake

Postby Whitmore_Lake » August 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm

I want to thank the MCMBA and MMBA for reaching out and considering a trail network in our community. Unfortunately it won’t be happening.

Our township supervisor doesn’t think it would be a good idea to have a trail network in our downtown area. Additionally, the school has informed me bicycles are not welcome on the trail behind the school property. It is being recreated into a student educational trail. Please respect their wishes.
Whitmore_Lake

Postby bender13 » August 28th, 2020, 9:19 am

That is a bummer. If you feel it is a good opportunity, do not let one negative response deter you. We have been working on a local trail in Northville since 2011 and are just seeing the results. Supervisors can have a change of heart, especially if a number of residents are in support.

Good luck and keep up the good fight!

Jeff
bender13

Postby Josh McCreedy » August 28th, 2020, 10:59 am

Stay connected. Scour the Parks and Recreation Master plan, and prepare. Look at similar communities who have trails (Milford, Lapeer, Rochester, etc.) for case studies. Talk economic development. Talk property values and young families. Bark parks are fine, but trails energize a community in ways far beyond the average fenced-in canine *beep* zone. Treat the initial reactions as a setback, not a conclusion. And give yourself a pat on the back for trying to improve your community, whatever happens.

Whitmore_Lake wrote:I want to thank the MCMBA and MMBA for reaching out and considering a trail network in our community. Unfortunately it won’t be happening.

Our township supervisor doesn’t think it would be a good idea to have a trail network in our downtown area. Additionally, the school has informed me bicycles are not welcome on the trail behind the school property. It is being recreated into a student educational trail. Please respect their wishes.
Josh McCreedy

Postby b_b » August 31st, 2020, 10:09 am

From what I have observed over the years at least for city parks it's the biker groups who propose, design, build, maintain the trails so by excluding that group this supervisor looses needed volunteers and most cities do not have paid staff for this. I wonder who's going to design, build, maintain the trails.
b_b

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance