Technical Trail Features Reference Thread

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

Re: Technical Trail Features Reference Thread

Postby mtbfree » July 20th, 2012, 9:52 am

jfactor! wrote:What's up with the lip at the top of the wooden berm? Did they have issues with people going over the top?

It looks like it's there to tie the vertical boards together at the top (probably not necessary, but I'm sure it makes the whole assembly a bit more solid). I would have expected them to put the horizontal board on the back to keep it out of the way.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby mr_opjones » July 20th, 2012, 11:13 am

over-thinkers
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby jfactor! » July 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Does anyone have any idea on how to build a pivot-totter like the one at Rays?
jfactor!

Postby mtbfree » July 20th, 2012, 1:47 pm

jfactor! wrote:Does anyone have any idea on how to build a pivot-totter like the one at Rays?

I don't know exactly how they built theirs, but I don't think it would be overly difficult. The base connection would be the most difficult part... you have to come up with a joint that is free to rotate in two different directions without just falling apart, but I've got some ideas that would probably work pretty well and could be constructed using steel pipe and heavy duty gate hinges. Then, you need a slider or roller on a ramp at one end that will direct the motion of the totter so that it doesn't just swing wildly out of control.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby jfactor! » September 6th, 2012, 9:12 am

Went to Boyne Highlands a couple of weeks ago. Took some time out from DH to play on some skinnies.

Cleaned it the first try, but of course took several attempts once my buddy started filming. LOL!!!

jfactor!

Postby jfactor! » September 6th, 2012, 9:15 am

My oldest daughter playing around on a ghetto teeter I put together this spring. It was her first time riding anything like that. She's all about it now and keeps asking to go to Uncle Jimmi's (maybe this weekend) She also wants to make a trip to Rays this winter. :D

jfactor!

Postby AllMountin' » November 4th, 2012, 10:26 pm

I'm a proponent of using what's available, though at first glance, the randomly placed cement blocks aren't really visually appealing. Larger cement chunk can look fairly natural. The Dump is a great example. Their trail makes use of large concrete chunk to make a cement roller coaster feature. Very unique. They've also paved a couple of short, steep, fall line climbs with cement block and utilized red brick to pave a turn. The organized cement blocks, while not natural, are IMO visually appealing and functional pieces that stabilize and provide traction.

Of course, it's a different standard when building on a city dump site vs a park or preserve. You may find it hard to simulate a natural rock garden with the sharp angles of the cement blocks.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby rvd » November 18th, 2012, 12:50 pm

After hearing about this trail often I finally had a chance to ride Lakeshore Park / Novi Tree Farm yesterday morning and I was pleasantly surprised with the many optional features. There are many great log skinnies, all the way from beginner to advanced and the adventurous.
Since no-one in this thread seems to have mentioned the diving board yet, here is a link. I am curious to know if anyone has made it to the end of this yet. In addition to the log skinnies, I enjoyed the various log piles, rock gardens, and a few stepdowns strewn across the trail. Thank you to the volunteers maintaining this trail!
(Now that we are on the topic, does anyone know if the right fork of Nessy at Merrel been conquered?)
rvd

Postby jfactor! » January 21st, 2013, 9:44 am

c0nsumer wrote:
AllMountin' wrote:Still there unless they took it out last night.

Jailhouse is not in the jurisdiction of the MMBA/IMBA, and thus do what they please.

I was wondering about that...

For those that don't know, the insurance that most IMBA (formerly MMBA) chapters use does not cover articulating trail features (read: things that pivot, bend, move) without paying a LOT more. Thus its cost prohibitive to have these on trails, so we don't.

Which makes the question, how can a non-MMBA/IMBA afford to insure it? We're talking about Ithaca here. Not exactly a town known for it's wealth.
jfactor!

Postby cramer » January 21st, 2013, 9:55 am

jfactor! wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
AllMountin' wrote:Still there unless they took it out last night.

Jailhouse is not in the jurisdiction of the MMBA/IMBA, and thus do what they please.

I was wondering about that...

For those that don't know, the insurance that most IMBA (formerly MMBA) chapters use does not cover articulating trail features (read: things that pivot, bend, move) without paying a LOT more. Thus its cost prohibitive to have these on trails, so we don't.

Which makes the question, how can a non-MMBA/IMBA afford to insure it? We're talking about Ithaca here. Not exactly a town known for it's wealth.

Seems unlikely their insurance knows or cares. As a mountain bike advocacy organization we don't have the luxury of having mountain bike related details like that fall through the cracks.
cramer

Postby jfactor! » March 3rd, 2013, 9:41 pm

AllMountin' wrote:This crusted snow is a tough ride, but I wasn't ready to take to the road just yet. Inspired by pics of a rider doing skinny North Shore in the snow, I decided to spice things up by 'building' a new log ride. Not too exciting. It's unshaven, and all I really did was build a log ramp entry and side exit, using available chunks of wood.

It's in a decommissioned county park near my house. It's not big enough for a proper trail, but I'm thinking about the possibility of building a shorter, all natural tech trail chock full of log rides and similar log and rock based features.

Very nice!!!
jfactor!

Postby jfactor! » March 21st, 2013, 7:25 am

Man, I just can't get those reverse bunnyhops down no matter how hard I try. ;)
jfactor!

Postby AllMountin' » October 13th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Back from the dead. I guess nobody rides features anymore... :-(

--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby xcrdr » October 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm

rvd wrote:
xcrdr wrote:Looks like Ohio to me.

Yeah, you recognize that feature? I bet you 'cheated' and checked his Strava :D

:D :D :D
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby AllMountin' » October 14th, 2013, 7:54 pm

That's what's funny though... he actually gave me 'kudos' for this ride in... Pennsylvania! Makes me question the sincerity of the whole social aspect of strava. I'm gonna do an epic ride around a city block to see how many kudos I get...

Moraine State Park. About 4 hours from SE Michigan. Boulders abound, and you get to ride over them, not just around them. Holdridge East: Take note! ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance