propane torch for new trail tread

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

propane torch for new trail tread

Postby glr » April 15th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Ok so this might be a little to much, but i'm looking at stealing an idea from the fire department. After they torched all the land in the central part of the trail system in Grass Lake, I got to thinking. I do have a large propane torch that hooks up to a 20 lb propane tank. Since they burned all the area that I started my reroutes on I was able to get a good section of the reroute roughed in last night. However I do have some small hawthorn pungi sticks that are poking up through the rocks. I used my Pulaski but it seemed to be, well real difficult. Since its the fence line of an old field there are tons of rocks, thus making any cutting/trenching, or tread improvement hard and time consuming. My thought was to walk with the propane torch and just burn the new trail tread. Since its already in the black, there is very little possibility of setting a wild fire. TWP is ok with it and i'm going to speak to the Fire Chief. So my question, is this over kill or has anyone tried something like this in the past. It seems like it would work rather well. FWIW I have been a firefighter and I was on a burn crew (prescribed burn) so I do know how to do this and use the equipment. Thoughts?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Re: propane torch for new trail tread

Postby glr » April 16th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Well it worked. Looks like a trail that has been there for a while. I wouldn't use this technique all the time, just had to improvise when all the other options have not worked. Although if it is just dirt I would have used the Pulaski.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Re: propane torch for new trail tread

Postby b_b » April 16th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Gives new meaning to "burning in" a trail!
b_b

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance