New trails st Stony Creek

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

New trails st Stony Creek

Postby wrob » September 18th, 2018, 9:58 am

NOTE: i don't know so i'm asking......do you think a machine cut trail in the Mt.
Shelden area in that sand & gravel will be sustainable?
wrob

Re: New trails st Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » September 18th, 2018, 10:00 am

If done right, yes. Just as it is at DTE.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wrob » September 18th, 2018, 10:11 am

Will HCMA maintain the trails or will it be a combined effort with CRAMBA?
wrob

Postby c0nsumer » September 18th, 2018, 11:49 am

wrob wrote:Will HCMA maintain the trails or will it be a combined effort with CRAMBA?

Combined effort, same as it currently is.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Hermannator » September 20th, 2018, 7:19 am

Steve- Are the new trails at Stony Creek being built by an outside builder or HCMA? Were they designed by CRAMBA, HCMA, an outside designer or some combination? Just curious since there has been some talk of an expansion of MTB access in Kensington. Just wondering how the process worked. Thanks.
Hermannator

Postby c0nsumer » September 20th, 2018, 8:11 am

Hermannator wrote:Steve- Are the new trails at Stony Creek being built by an outside builder or HCMA? Were they designed by CRAMBA, HCMA, an outside designer or some combination? Just curious since there has been some talk of an expansion of MTB access in Kensington. Just wondering how the process worked. Thanks.

They haven't been designed yet. That is being done now by Applied Trails Research. Build will be an outside builder with CRAMBA for support and maintenance. We are a key partner on the project. And yes, what's happening at Stony is being seen as a model for what could happen at Kensington.

See here for more info: http://metroparks.com/sheldentrails
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Roy » September 26th, 2018, 7:44 am

Will the new trail incorporate the existing trail?
When all is said and done will the total trail milage increase or decrease?

It is very hard to envision a more sustainable trail then the current trial.

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » September 26th, 2018, 8:29 am

Roy wrote:Will the new trail incorporate the existing trail?

Likely. This is being determined now, but most likely.

Roy wrote:When all is said and done will the total trail milage increase or decrease?

A goal is to increase single track mileage.

Roy wrote:It is very hard to envision a more sustainable trail then the current trial.

I strongly disagree. A lot of Stony is blown out and erosion prone. Many parts can be WAY better. Take every sand pit on the single track and know that it, or right near it, is something that's so steep it erodes away with every heavy rain and thus is not sustainable.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Roy » September 27th, 2018, 7:22 am

Steve,
That is good news.
I could see a new trail head starting closer to the west branch parking lot and using the old bandit trail up the hill to current start of the existing trail. ( like the old Poto start - straight up hill - without the steps)

Anyway as long as trail milage is not lost and the trail becomes more sustainable all is great!

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » September 27th, 2018, 9:39 am

Roy wrote:I could see a new trail head starting closer to the west branch parking lot and using the old bandit trail up the hill to current start of the existing trail. ( like the old Poto start - straight up hill - without the steps)

Something like that, yeah. But not straight up the hill -- that's not sustainable routing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby PK » December 22nd, 2018, 6:27 pm

PK

Postby JohnnyC » December 23rd, 2018, 8:31 am

Dog park?
JohnnyC

Postby PK » December 23rd, 2018, 9:30 am

Yea. :shock:

The folks that were paid to create this study/ proposal put this out there.

Speaking as one who has been involved in this project from the beginning, I can say that CRAMBA as a whole is just as shocked as you.
I personally asked that the Skills area be included in the overall study but never heard anything about a dog park. (I was thinking along the lines of a few thousand yds. of clay and a couple hundred hours of tractor time.)
The dog park proposal is not "set in stone" and it had never been mentioned within any of the conversations I was part of.
I can only assume it has been included in this proposal as a way to minimize the off-leash and on leash dogs interactions that are a concern to many of the folks that bothered to voice their opinion during the public input phase of this project.

While the formal public input stage of all this is past, I would recommend that anybody concerned about this skills area continue to speak up and make your voices heard.
http://www.metroparks.com/sheldentrails ... t-contact/

The folks paid to do the study saw little evidence of any usage out at the skills area for one reason or other and I can only assume they saw the amount of effort required to make the area a lot more sustainable and easier to maintain was not worth it. There also was a desire to have all off-road biking within a common area within the park.
The original MMBA concept for the skills area was to be within the Sheldon trails area but the park decided to have us build it in it's current location.

My $0.02
Pete
PK

Postby JohnnyC » December 23rd, 2018, 10:10 am

That’s funny. I walk run my dogs there almost 3-4 days a week and run into lots folks walking their dogs ALL OFF LEASH. No problems just sniffing parts etc. I voiced my opinions in the email surveys as well as letters to the park. Sighting the lack of use was prob due to poor-ish layout and lack of maint. of structures-though volunteers did their best. Also noted that SE Michigan already has hundreds of miles of single track and beginner access trails and there’s a need/desire for more aggressive jumps/drops/structures for advanced riders or just for fun. Nobody is taking a weekend off to come ride Stoney creek from out of state. But people from Michigan go to Virginia, Vermont, Colorado, North Carolina, PA etc to ride fun flowy bike park type trails. Not everybody wants a rockless rootless jumpless speed trail. I digress
JohnnyC

Postby c0nsumer » December 23rd, 2018, 10:39 am

JohnnyC wrote:Not everybody wants a rockless rootless jumpless speed trail. I digress

That's kinda the problem with the Lower Peninsula. Outside of gravel, we don't have rock. For the most part, in the Stony area, once you get through the clay it's all gravel and round field stone. Thus, we really can't build rocky/steep stuff in our area: there's no usable rock and anything steep built in sand/gravel erodes quite quickly. So, we build to our strengths and you get rolling, sweeping, fast stuff. And so we travel to ride big rocks.

(To note about DTE, almost all the big rock there was purchased and brought in. It's not native.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Next

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance