MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 22nd, 2020, 1:51 pm

Feature request - Small oval track with berms in the pump track area.

I'd like to find out how fast I can go around corners. Yeah, I know I could find a corner on the trail, ride it, turn around and go back and ride it again and again. However, learning would be a lot faster if I could practice NASCAR style, going around and around, increasing my speed and modifying my technique each time.

It would also give me a lot more confidence to do it in an open area, so I don't have to worry about crashing into a tree when I eventually high side. Finally, it would be nice to have a berms as a safety net for when a drift would otherwise become a slide.

Like the pump track, it doesn't have to be big. Actually, it would probably require less long term maintenance if it wasn't big enough that people felt the need to brake before the corners.

If this is something others would enjoy and the TC's are agreeable, I'd be happy help build it.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Re: MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

Postby b_b » June 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm

Not a bad idea with berms becoming more common and were almost non-existent a few years ago. I think you would want to provide enough runway to test faster speeds however.
b_b

Postby Loren » June 22nd, 2020, 4:56 pm

The west section of the pump track used to be like that. Pump, pump, pump, berm, pump, pump, pump, berm = 1 lap.
Loren

Postby WallEyed » June 24th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Loren wrote:The west section of the pump track used to be like that. Pump, pump, pump, berm, pump, pump, pump, berm = 1 lap.
It would be kind of nice to make that original oval flow like that again.
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby Loren » June 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I don't think we'd lose much if we did that. It feels like that odd inner line was not a great addition.
Loren

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance