LEAVE THEM LEAVES ALONE!!!

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

LEAVE THEM LEAVES ALONE!!!

Postby jajones » December 4th, 2009, 6:58 am

I've been seeing some trails this fall where the leaves have either been blown off or raked off in sections.

I'd ask anyone considering doing this to reconsider the practice.

Leaves are part of the detritus that provide structure and fiber in the soil. In other words, they help keep the soil together once they are broken down and worked in. A trail that is deprived of leaves ends up much like a colon that is deprived of fiber -- a long channel of greasy and gooey *beep*.

I've never understood the practice of removing leaves. When then initially fall, they can cause some limited issues with trail visibility and can initially be slippery right after rain. However, on most of our trails that get a fair degree of use, they are quickly broken down and end up actually absorbing much of the pre-winter November rains that we typically get, actually drying out and enhancing the trail tread rideability.

Don't believe me? Go out to a trail like the Poto this time of year a day after some rain. Ride the less-sandy loam or clay sections where leaves have not been removed. They consist of crushed up leaves and a nice dry trail tread. Then, you will notice some sections where the Poto's (in)famous "Sandman" decided it was a good idea to scrub off select 20 yard sections of downed foliage. You'll note that these sections are greasy as *beep* and a lot more sketchy than any section with newly downed leaves ever is.

Repeat after me...

LEAVE THEM LEAVES ALONE

As an aside, if anyone has a burning desire wherein they just have to push leaves around in fall, my yard can use some work. :wink:
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
Board Member, Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)
jajones

Re: LEAVE THEM LEAVES ALONE!!!

Postby jajones » December 4th, 2009, 7:04 am

P.S. My post, of course, should not be taken to mean that one shouldn't remove leaves from old school waterbar drainage channels -- a necessary fall ritual on many of our trails in order to facilitate drainage and prevent erosion on fall line trails.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
Board Member, Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)
jajones

Postby centralRH » December 4th, 2009, 7:10 am

I don't think you can make a blanket statement for all our trails. I think it depends on soil type, trail construction, number of users, and how long the trail has been in existence. Anyway, leave the leaves on the Poto.

This topic has been discussed several times on MTBR; the latest http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=569959
centralRH

Postby utabintarbo » December 4th, 2009, 7:38 am

centralRH wrote:I don't think you can make a blanket statement for all our trails. I think it depends on soil type, trail construction, number of users, and how long the trail has been in existence. Anyway, leave the leaves on the Poto.

Agreed. In addition, on some trails, fewer leaves left on in the fall can mean an earlier safe entrance onto them in the spring.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby jacked » December 4th, 2009, 8:18 am

I'm experimenting at Bennett Park this year. All of the pines where blown, but much of that trail is a gravel base and the combination of needles and leaves makes it very difficult to find sections of the trail. We left the jungles alone as well as most of the hardwoods. The gully, trillium and north shore are all blown. We'll see how it turns out.

David
jacked

Postby mr_opjones » December 4th, 2009, 8:54 am

Let the Leaves Lie where they Lay
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby FrankenFuel95 » December 4th, 2009, 9:11 am

RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH!

There certainly appears to be two schools of thought on this one that's for sure.
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS
Do whatever it is you choose to do as well as you can possibly do it.
-From a calendar hanging on my cubicle wall.

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Postby Scotty » December 4th, 2009, 10:19 am

FrankenFuel95 wrote:
There certainly appears to be two schools of thought on this one that's for sure.

Figures it would be on a Trek. AND the dude drives a Chevy. :roll:
Scotty

Postby FrankenFuel95 » December 4th, 2009, 10:31 am

Scotty wrote:
FrankenFuel95 wrote:

Figures it would be on a Trek. AND the dude drives a Chevy. :roll:

:lol: Always hatin'. :lol:
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS
Do whatever it is you choose to do as well as you can possibly do it.
-From a calendar hanging on my cubicle wall.

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Postby scat silvurz » December 4th, 2009, 11:01 am

much like a colon that is deprived of fiber

not sure how that one works out....maybe someone who eats too much cheese, perhaps?

I know that the Novi Treefarm trail has been expertly blown this fall [gas powered leafblower] - it's been tooted loudly on this forum to much rave reviews, so it will be a good experiment to see how it works out. Years back, I'd spent many a nice day riding, raking the leaves off the foresty portions of trail at the Novi Treefarm, since it was nearly impossible to see where the trail went had I not done this....I've not seen any detriment to doing this at the Novi, so maybe the soil conditions there take well to such drastic trail manicuring.

I would say the local TC would know best on how the trail soils are best managed, blanket statements are useful only to ring the dinner bell of awareness...your mileage may vary and objects in the mirror may appear smaller...
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby dirt » December 4th, 2009, 11:30 am

scat silvurz wrote:I know that the Novi Treefarm trail has been expertly blown this fall [gas powered leafblower] - it's been tooted loudly on this forum to much rave reviews

Then again, there are about a half dozen post saying that the trail has been 'greasy' or 'slick', which is exactly what is stated can happen when the leaves are removed. My personal experience has been that de-leafed trails tend to get a lot slicker then trails that have the leaves left on.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby wingzz » December 4th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Despite what Bob wants I do not clear Stony and dont plan on it
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby mverona » December 4th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Rode Tree Farm on Wed night and it was a greazy slizut. That trail usually is tho.
MV
mverona

Postby scat silvurz » December 4th, 2009, 1:01 pm

this time of year all the trails get greazy
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Loren » December 4th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Most but not all sections of the treefarm were cleared. IMO, there is not an appreciable difference in the current "greasiness" of the sections that were cleared and the sections that were not, but it will be interesting to watch conditions evolve over winter and spring. It's an experiment.

Most of the pro and con arguments have already been made on mbtr, and anyone interested should do the research.

One issue that we've had at the farm that isn't frequently cited is the creation of 'social' trails, where riders become unsure of where the leaf covered trail is and shortcut corners or just head off into the woods until they find the trail again. As other riders follow, new trail develops. There were a number of these creative re-routes that I corrected in expert and swamp by making the established trail obvious again.
Loren

Next

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance