Marji Gesick 100 - 2019 Sold Out

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Marji Gesick 100 - 2019 Sold Out

Postby flamingo » October 13th, 2018, 10:38 am

It sold out within less than 24 hrs! I just wanted to register and I missed out. All the categories have been sold out. Crazy! How does one get on the waiting list?
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Re: Marji Gesick 100 - 2019 Sold Out

Postby HiPpYs@m » October 13th, 2018, 7:01 pm

41 minutes! I fell asleep watching a movie and only had 10 spots remaining when I did register. Glad I got in and now I can start to mentally prepare just to finish, :|
10' Kona Jake, 11' Kona Steely, 15' Kona Big Unit SS
Phsycle Assasins, Cpt.
Flat River Cycling Team
Twin Six Team Metal

"To truly gain anything in this life, you must first lose everything, including your mind". :wink: Hippy Sam
HiPpYs@m

Postby noremorse1 » October 15th, 2018, 8:18 pm

flamingo wrote:It sold out within less than 24 hrs! I just wanted to register and I missed out. All the categories have been sold out. Crazy! How does one get on the waiting list?

The waitlist just opened up. Also, there is a 3-day "Marji Training Camp" in June. Cost is $200 and includes an entry into the race. I believe Matt Acker will be part of the training camp.
noremorse1

Postby Reznor » October 18th, 2018, 12:31 pm

flamingo wrote:It sold out within less than 24 hrs! I just wanted to register and I missed out. All the categories have been sold out. Crazy! How does one get on the waiting list?

Never heard of this race. Looks very interesting, especially the 50 mile run...or the 15 mile run and MTB. I'll have to put a note on my calendar to remind me when 2020 opens for registration. I have an Ironman next year so definitely out for 2019.
Reznor

Postby FliesOnly » December 11th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Reznor wrote:

Never heard of this race. Looks very interesting, especially the 50 mile run...or the 15 mile run and MTB. I'll have to put a note on my calendar to remind me when 2020 opens for registration. I have an Ironman next year so definitely out for 2019.
"Interesting" doesn't really do it justice. I've done numerous 100 mile mtn bike ride/races. I did Maah Daah Hey last year with some friends and it was a really really difficult race (but also an exceptionally beautiful race which I cannot give a high enough recommendation to for those who like to punish themselves)...and I can tell you that Marji Gesick is harder. It is, according to two-time winner Jeremiah Bishop, the hardest one-day race in the Country. The last 15 miles took me and my friend almost 5 hours to complete. It is soul-crushingly difficult. Having said that...you should definitely do it. :)
FliesOnly

Postby c0nsumer » December 11th, 2018, 3:55 pm

This year I dropped at mile 84 of the 100 (which is really ~110). Sun was setting, it was getting cold, I was ~12 hours in, and I was cooked.

Two days later I went out and started again where I dropped out and finished the course in daylight. Those last ~28 miles took me another four hours: https://www.strava.com/activities/1863937548
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby FliesOnly » December 11th, 2018, 4:14 pm

I'm not a great descender. Up until Jackson Miners park in Negaunee I (we) were doing fine...well ahead of schedule. Then we hit the sections from the park out to Ishpeming, and back back to the park...half of which we did in the dark. That section was difficult and at times, and terrifying at others. Then we left the park for the final time and headed for the finish line. I cannot express how terrified I was. I'm just not a confident enough descender to go down some of the stuff...not to mention some of the climbs. It was crazy. But, I'll be back again next year...cuz I'm insane. My hope is to head up there a few times this summer and work on my skills. I cannot make the "Camp" cuz its' the same weekend as the Lutsen 99er, and I'm already registered for that.
FliesOnly

Postby Jared13 » December 12th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Not to hijack the thread too much, but if you're looking for another 100 miler to try, look into the Butte 100. Just over 14k feet of climbing (or as I look at it, descending) between 5k and 8k elevation.

Or go for the Butte 50, around 55 miles of total distance and starts with ~5 miles of gravel road at the beginning to space people out. The 50 option has a higher concentration of singletrack (I'm told the 100 uses more gravel roads before it ties into the 50 route) and around 9k climbing/descending.

Both routes offer amazing scenery with great views, top-notch aide stations, and a fun vibe as well.
Jared13

Postby FliesOnly » February 8th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Jared13 wrote:Not to hijack the thread too much, but if you're looking for another 100 miler to try, look into the Butte 100. Just over 14k feet of climbing (or as I look at it, descending) between 5k and 8k elevation.

Or go for the Butte 50, around 55 miles of total distance and starts with ~5 miles of gravel road at the beginning to space people out. The 50 option has a higher concentration of singletrack (I'm told the 100 uses more gravel roads before it ties into the 50 route) and around 9k climbing/descending.

Both routes offer amazing scenery with great views, top-notch aide stations, and a fun vibe as well.
I just looked into that race. Looks like it might be a fun one to try. There's a group of four of us that try to do at least one "epic " race per year together. Last year we did Maah Daah Hey. Have you tried that one yet? If not, I cannot give it a high enough recommendation. It's really difficult, but the scenery is spectacular. This year we got into Leadville, so that's our epic race for 2019. Next year we're planning on The Rift...so maybe we'll look at the Butte 100 for 2021.
FliesOnly

Return to Racing