Waterloo Grit n Gravel March 16th, 2019

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Waterloo Grit n Gravel March 16th, 2019

Postby DynoDon » March 4th, 2019, 9:07 am

I just ride it, I don't work it, but its coming up fast, only 2 more weeks, great course, never know what conditions you'll get this time of year, always a surprise,, some good hills, some pavement, some beer at the end.. :drunken_smilie1:

https://epicraces.com/events/waterloo-g-g/
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Re: Waterloo Grit n Gravel March 16th, 2019

Postby asmallsol » March 8th, 2019, 9:33 am

-Collin Snyder
Athletic Mentors/ GREENWARE USA - ELITE CYCLING
http://www.athleticmentors.com/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com
Single speeder and roadie
asmallsol

Postby DynoDon » March 8th, 2019, 10:35 am

I paid up in Decembee,, $60, (If I hadn't payed up in Dec I may not pay the $75/85 either,, then I could sit in the house all winter, not be in good condition, and cry about the high price too) I don't have to travel, get a room, its local, I'm not goiing to win any pay out anyway, I like the 70 over class, and even a 75 and over for Niel Sharphorn I hope he comes back again this year. Its a great course, good event, and I have to be in shape to finish with a good for me time, so it gives me the incentive to ride all year, I do that outdoors on the fat, and gravel bike, its always a good turn out, and you have to ride early in the year, so you never know what weather you'll get, for me that makes it even better, I've been riding all year.. you can always find a reason not to ride, price/weather/payout/too early in the year for your condition, at my age I'm glad to do it, and like the little kids, us old farts usually get a podium for finishing..
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » March 12th, 2019, 7:14 am

I was out at the course yesterday, Ice was everywhere, a dump truck, and a box truck where stuck in the hills section, same company, maybe trying to get one out, both were trying to get up the icy hills, I made it ok in a front wheel drive mini cargo van, but it was sketchy at times, the only way around on a bike would be with studs, you couldn't even walk that stuff, Cassidy Lk road was mostly covered with ice, I hope the warm weather helps, but then it will be mud.. it will make for an interesting race, see you there on Saturday..
DynoDon

Postby brandt509 » March 13th, 2019, 10:51 am

I agree with the general sentiment in the link. Registration fee is very high in comparison to similar events. A little perspective here; it's just a 30 mile (for most) gravel road race, nothing special. I did the race last year, it was OK, but nothing different than similar gravel races who's registration fee is much less. Not saying it's not a well ran event, I'm just questioning how the race organizers arrived at their figures.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I have no experience with running an event, and I don't know what their balance sheet looks like. It would be interesting to see their income vs. expenses. If they can justify & explain the high cost,I'm all ears.
brandt509

Postby barrybs » March 13th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Keep in mind that according to the website:

A portion of this event’s proceeds benefit our featured charity, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby mmba7349 » March 13th, 2019, 2:15 pm

brandt509 wrote:

I agree with the general sentiment in the link. Registration fee is very high in comparison to similar events. A little perspective here; it's just a 30 mile (for most) gravel road race, nothing special. I did the race last year, it was OK, but nothing different than similar gravel races who's registration fee is much less. Not saying it's not a well ran event, I'm just questioning how the race organizers arrived at their figures.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I have no experience with running an event, and I don't know what their balance sheet looks like. It would be interesting to see their income vs. expenses. If they can justify & explain the high cost,I'm all ears.

A company's profit margin or in this case race promoters profit margin does not dictate the price. It will dictate whether they will continue as a going concern or their appetite to continue selling a specific product. The price is driven by the demand for the product relative to the supply.

Personally the price for this race is too much for me but that has nothing to do with how much the promoter may or may not be earning. If enough feel the same way the price will come down, if the race continues to receive high participation the price will remain.

But I have no more right to review a private company's financials prior to purchasing than I would to request a personal financial statement prior to purchasing girl scout cookies or boy scouts selling candy bars.
mmba7349

Postby brandt509 » March 13th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Good point regarding supply vs demand determining the price. In practice, that is the primary factor in how race organizers arrive, or keep, their registration price. Since the cost for this race really is an outlier in comparison to similar races, my post came from the standpoint of questioning if they have a huge expense that they're trying to cover with that high registration fee. It doesn't seem they do.
brandt509

Postby transplant » March 14th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I wonder if it will be worth the price of a new drivetrain?
transplant

Postby elangley » March 15th, 2019, 11:46 am

I haven't raced this event, but always wanted to. Closer for me than Barry and Lowell - which I race in all the time. Maybe if I signed up earlier, but $85 now - WOW! I often see $5-$10 more day of/late registration costs. I agree with many here, and have no idea what the promoter has to deal with. But for all the other races we all compete in - this event seems like an outlier on cost, distance, etc. I see about 450 raced it last year, great turnout, was the cost the same in 2018?
elangley

Postby brandt509 » March 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm

elangley wrote:I haven't raced this event, but always wanted to. Closer for me than Barry and Lowell - which I race in all the time. Maybe if I signed up earlier, but $85 now - WOW! I often see $5-$10 more day of/late registration costs. I agree with many here, and have no idea what the promoter has to deal with. But for all the other races we all compete in - this event seems like an outlier on cost, distance, etc. I see about 450 raced it last year, great turnout, was the cost the same in 2018?

I did the 50K last year and paid $70. I signed up two days before the race. This year it would have cost $80. So that's a $10 jump in just one year from what was already a high registration fee.
brandt509

Postby DynoDon » March 17th, 2019, 5:00 am

Rode yesterday, there was no ice, mud on Cassidy Road of course, but the rest of the dirt roads were in pretty good shape, it got warmer and sofened up some. The awards were SWAG, whats up with that? I got a pair of ugly socks for 1st place.. nothing like the awards from years past. I asked at registration why the price went up, I didn't get much of an answer. I hear they give socks out at the homeless shelter, maybe I'll ride there next year.. the homeless shelter could put my money to better use too...
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » March 18th, 2019, 2:19 am

DynoDon wrote:Rode yesterday, there was no ice, mud on Cassidy Road of course, but the rest of the dirt roads were in pretty good shape, it got warmer and sofened up some. The awards were SWAG, whats up with that? I got a pair of ugly socks for 1st place.. nothing like the awards from years past. I asked at registration why the price went up, I didn't get much of an answer. I hear they give socks out at the homeless shelter, maybe I'll ride there next year.. the homeless shelter could put my money to better use too...

everyone: "why did the registration price increase for an already overpriced race?"

people who lined their pockets with profit from the increased price: "....uhm"
crustaceous_flora

Postby Exodus » March 18th, 2019, 8:39 am

Socks dont grow on trees!
Exodus

Postby Shomegrown » March 18th, 2019, 10:00 am

I'll be the devil's advocate here. While I'm not saying it's totally worth it, I do feel the quality of this event was above average. Epic does a good job. The course was very well marked and heavily marshaled. Multiple aid stations and active sag wagons (luckily not needed by me, lol). They hired a pro photographer and therefore everyone got full access to high resolution photos. Free beer and pint glass. 2 pair of socks. I got a free hot dog too.

Is it worth almost twice as much as Melting Mann? Not sure, but I feel like it was a good event and I'm not too bitter about paying extra.
Shomegrown

Next

Return to Racing