A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Re: A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

Postby wingzz » February 10th, 2010, 9:46 am

Bernard Smith wrote:Sounds like there are people who take this bicycle racing way too serious and things said, way too personal. Anyhow, can't a person just go up to the BIG M and ride 4 laps anytime they want? Why is it that important to do it in an expensive race? I am pretty sure I would ride at the same, MAXED OUT PACE, if I focused on hammering 4 laps, as though it was a race.
bernie

+100
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby dirt » February 10th, 2010, 10:12 am

wingzz wrote:
Bernard Smith wrote:Sounds like there are people who take this bicycle racing way too serious and things said, way too personal. Anyhow, can't a person just go up to the BIG M and ride 4 laps anytime they want? Why is it that important to do it in an expensive race? I am pretty sure I would ride at the same, MAXED OUT PACE, if I focused on hammering 4 laps, as though it was a race.
bernie

+100

So, you're NOT racing this year?
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby luv2mtb » February 10th, 2010, 10:43 am

BabyHuey wrote:This sounds completeley typical of this guy, but let's review what has lead to his belief that he is of the standing of "Legend". In 1996 he travelled to Australia and won a Masters World Championship in XC (his age group, whatever that was then). Yes, he is a World Champion. In 1997 and 1998 he returned to racing the local mtb Expert scene amongst the "chodes" in 50+ Expert and couldn't win. That's right, one year after an incredible victory he could not win locally in 1997. Two years ago he was diagnosed with DVT (blood clotting in the legs) while training for Leadville in Colorado. Typical of an arrogant person, he drove back home across the country to see his own physician with zero regard for what should happen if he were to pass out or have a heart attack and take out some innocent, unsuspecting motorists. BTW, DVT is linked to the possible abuse of EPO for those that may not know. He is in impressive shape for somebody his age, I would not discount that for a minute, but he loves to let everybody know just how great he believes he is too.

For Old Joe, I'll borrow a quote from your own signature on another board, "Be the person your dog already believes you are". Time to heed your own advice...

And your resume says what?
"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive,or that you really live" -Rise Against
luv2mtb

Postby mobilechimp » February 10th, 2010, 10:45 am

bernie

It's important because some people like to be competitive, even if they know they're not going to win. Regardless if I say, "I'm just in it to finish," I'm still looking at the results to see where I placed, and I still want the motivation of "racing" with 250 people who are there for the same reasons. And each year I'll try to better my time, even if I'll never get close to the top.

Jalopy is right, it's the atmosphere that makes it different. That is worth $130 to me. I'm sure there's plenty of things you'll pay good money for that I couldn't care less about.
mobilechimp
Administrator

Postby jonw9 » February 10th, 2010, 10:52 am

luv2mtb wrote:
BabyHuey wrote:This sounds completeley typical of this guy, but let's review what has lead to his belief that he is of the standing of "Legend". In 1996 he travelled to Australia and won a Masters World Championship in XC (his age group, whatever that was then). Yes, he is a World Champion. In 1997 and 1998 he returned to racing the local mtb Expert scene amongst the "chodes" in 50+ Expert and couldn't win. That's right, one year after an incredible victory he could not win locally in 1997. Two years ago he was diagnosed with DVT (blood clotting in the legs) while training for Leadville in Colorado. Typical of an arrogant person, he drove back home across the country to see his own physician with zero regard for what should happen if he were to pass out or have a heart attack and take out some innocent, unsuspecting motorists. BTW, DVT is linked to the possible abuse of EPO for those that may not know. He is in impressive shape for somebody his age, I would not discount that for a minute, but he loves to let everybody know just how great he believes he is too.

For Old Joe, I'll borrow a quote from your own signature on another board, "Be the person your dog already believes you are". Time to heed your own advice...

Mine says:
Thesis: Fundamental Power Coupler Development for Low-Beta Superconducting Cavities.

I hope that helps! ;)
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby mobilechimp » February 10th, 2010, 10:59 am

jonw9 wrote:
luv2mtb wrote:

Mine says:
Thesis: Fundamental Power Coupler Development for Low-Beta Superconducting Cavities.

I hope that helps! ;)

Superconducting Cavities?? THERE ARE CHILDREN ON THIS BOARD, SICKO.
mobilechimp
Administrator

Postby Leroi Brown » February 10th, 2010, 11:16 am

Bottom line is that this guy has somewhat of an elitist attitude towards cycling, and I believe you must wear a team kit to receive any acknowledgement from him as a credible racer. He's quick to criticize others, especially those that are not as serious about bike racing as he is, and just appears to be generally crabby and too serious. I don't believe he's a doper, and he does have quite a resume of racing accomplishments that are quite admirable, but this does not give him the right to decide who should enter a race and by what criteria. He's in amazing shape for his age, something I can only aspire to, but I sure hope I'm not that crotchety at that age! :wink:

That said, I agree with JAJ in that this is indeed disappointing commentary from someone of his status in the bike racing world. Guess he figures that all great biek racers are already on the scene, and there's no room for up-and-comings.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby luv2mtb » February 10th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Jason, your such a pro at getting the mob going, I see lots of name calling here from people who dont even know Old Joe, but thats what this forum is all about I guess!! one reason I no longer am a member of the MMBA nor post here very much, just a bunch of mean people looking for a reason to slam someone. If you have ever ridden Bloomer you have him to thank, he pretty much single handedly built those trails! He has done allot for mountain biking in our community, has volunteered for my BOW clinic's, was involved with youthcycling, has trained many of the top racers in this state, and has been a great friend to me and many other cyclists. You are all entitled to your opinions as is Old Joe, like them or not? personal attacks like Babyhuey's are crossing a line

As far as his comments, you see people all the time who bite of more than they can chew, I have personally done it, racers show up without doing any research or even training/riding. Its funny how many Expert/Elites complain about getting stuck behind slower riders, well isnt that what Arts talking about? riders who arent prepared and have no clue what they're getting into? its esepcially dangerous in races like Lumberjack or Iceman, Iceman will be real interesting this year, when all the FFG's who dont race pro have to work their way through the crowds, I forsee lots of *beep*!
"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive,or that you really live" -Rise Against
luv2mtb

Postby Leroi Brown » February 10th, 2010, 12:56 pm

luv2mtb wrote:Jason, your such a pro at getting the mob going, I see lots of name calling here from people who dont even know Old Joe, but thats what this forum is all about I guess!! one reason I no longer am a member of the MMBA nor post here very much, just a bunch of mean people looking for a reason to slam someone. If you have ever ridden Bloomer you have him to thank, he pretty much single handedly built those trails! He has done allot for mountain biking in our community, has volunteered for my BOW clinic's, was involved with youthcycling, has trained many of the top racers in this state, and has been a great friend to me and many other cyclists. You are all entitled to your opinions as is Old Joe, like them or not? personal attacks like Babyhuey's are crossing a line

As far as his comments, you see people all the time who bite of more than they can chew, I have personally done it, racers show up without doing any research or even training/riding. Its funny how many Expert/Elites complain about getting stuck behind slower riders, well isnt that what Arts talking about? riders who arent prepared and have no clue what they're getting into? its esepcially dangerous in races like Lumberjack or Iceman, Iceman will be real interesting this year, when all the FFG's who dont race pro have to work their way through the crowds, I forsee lots of *beep*!

Tom - you make some really great points here, and offer a good contrast to what's been said by others. It's nice to hear this from someone like you, who has integrity, and actually knows Art well. The rest of us can only go by what we have seen or heard from Art on our own, and sometimes that's not always a good represntation of someone's character.

My comments are only based on my own observations, and not from someone who truly knows him well. That's why I do state my respect for his accomplishments. Thanks for putting some of this in check, Tom! Personal attacks are not warranted.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby Indigenous » February 10th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Leroi Brown wrote:
luv2mtb wrote:Jason, your such a pro at getting ....

Tom - you make some really great points here, and offer a good contrast to what's been said by others. It's nice to hear this from someone like you, who has integrity, and actually knows Art well. The rest of us can only go by what we have seen or heard from Art on our own, and sometimes that's not always a good represntation of someone's character.

My comments are only based on my own observations, and not from someone who truly knows him well. That's why I do state my respect for his accomplishments. Thanks for putting some of this in check, Tom! Personal attacks are not warranted.

Tom has integrity?!?! Just kidding. :wink: :wink:
Indigenous

Postby beerbiker » February 10th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Imagine if they opened up general admition for an event like the Oscars and none of the actors/actresses were able to get in.
beerbiker

Postby JRAD » February 10th, 2010, 3:06 pm

beerbiker wrote:Imagine if they opened up general admition for an event like the Oscars and none of the actors/actresses were able to get in.

HUH..... :? What are you talking about :P

There is nothing in the rules or signup that says you have to be a pro. If you like to ride your bike and want to race, I see no problem in that.
JRAD

Postby wingzz » February 10th, 2010, 3:38 pm

dirt wrote:
wingzz wrote:
bernie

+100

So, you're NOT racing this year?

my racing and being serious have nothing in common as I never take racing serious

My point being who the heck cares what others do, its freaking mountainbiking, your not being hurt by it then why is it your concern, and I guess if you know something to be a lie then either prove it with facts or keep quiet
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby jajones » February 10th, 2010, 5:00 pm

luv2mtb wrote:Jason, your such a pro at getting the mob going, I see lots of name calling here from people who dont even know Old Joe, but thats what this forum is all about I guess!! one reason I no longer am a member of the MMBA nor post here very much, just a bunch of mean people looking for a reason to slam someone. If you have ever ridden Bloomer you have him to thank, he pretty much single handedly built those trails! He has done allot for mountain biking in our community, has volunteered for my BOW clinic's, was involved with youthcycling, has trained many of the top racers in this state, and has been a great friend to me and many other cyclists. You are all entitled to your opinions as is Old Joe, like them or not? personal attacks like Babyhuey's are crossing a line

Tom, if you look at my history on the MMBA forum, I think you'll note one thing. I'm big on attacking, but it is never unprovoked. My attacks are always attacking an attacker. It isn't so much that I am trying to act as some "defender of the innocent" as much as I just have no tolerance for the intolerant. I'm the kind of person who doesn't mince words, doesn't hide behind a pseudonyms and would say anything I say on this forum to a person face-to-face. I know Old Joe has done a lot of good things and I'm not casting aspersions on him on the whole. I don't hate him or dislike him. I'm just pointing out that it is b.s. to call someone a chode (which may have a different meaning in the Book of Fleming, but in Webster's means "d.ick") for entering a facking race. I'll tell him to his face the next time I see him while I'm handing him a beer (if he'd only drink it). You make the point about the MMBA board being a place with a bunch of mean people trying to slam someone. It's ironic because this is exactly what my commentary was about -- attacking someone for "being mean and trying to slam someone". I'm just not down with it.

I think that part of the problem with forums, blogs, twitter, facebook or internet communication mediums in general is that people often say stuff on them that they wouldn't say in person. Just think of me as chair of the mountain biking related electronic media Truth and Reconciliation Committee. :wink:
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

Postby jajones » February 10th, 2010, 5:11 pm

wingzz wrote:My point being who the heck cares what others do, its freaking mountainbiking, your not being hurt by it then why is it your concern

Exactly, Mike. I think I want your words on my tombstone.

What the fack do I care if someone wants to race Leadville or Lumberjack? Why do I care if they ride trails on a Huffy or on a carbon bike? Why do I care if they ride an hour on the weekend or ride Herriman miles? Why do I care if they are fast or slow? Why do care if they ride suspension or no suspension? Helmet or no helmet?

There are too many b.s. cliques and individuals in cycling trying to tell someone what to do or who they should do it with. Live and let live, you know?
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

PreviousNext

Return to Racing