A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Re: A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

Postby adroit rider » February 10th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Scotty wrote:
Who cares?

If I never ever hear again the question "what is your lap time at the Poto" it will be too soon!

Who cares if Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Tom Brady or if Brett Favre will retire?

If this guy can crack off sub 1:05 Potos he should probably have a team manager keep track of his calendar and important dates. His time is too valuable for minor details. :roll:
adroit rider

Postby Bernard Smith » February 11th, 2010, 10:34 am

Mobilechimp,
It's important because some people like to be competitive, even if they know they're not going to win. Regardless if I say, "I'm just in it to finish," I'm still looking at the results to see where I placed, and I still want the motivation of "racing" with 250 people who are there for the same reasons. And each year I'll try to better my time, even if I'll never get close to the top.

Jalopy is right, it's the atmosphere that makes it different. That is worth $130 to me. I'm sure there's plenty of things you'll pay good money for that I couldn't care less about.
Gee, I think I kind of figured out, how to post a quote on this thing :! 8)
Glad to see your reason for the LJ race being important. I wouldn't ever want to give the impression that I don't think races are important, or be a source of discouragement to anyone trying to be motivated to train hard for an event. In my life, it's generally worked out that the motivation to train hard for an upcoming event, has often been more important than the event itself. Several years ago, I train my tail off about all year long, peaking in the fall, anticipating the Iceman that year, hoping to break the 1hr, 50min barrier (Finally was riding poto sub 1:20 Scotty :D ). Turned out that an untimley death in the family cancelled my efforts. The point being here is that unforeseen things can often come up, but what remains is the level of fitness and fun times you enjoyed, focusing on that HOPE of a good event. Something I often do now, is enjoy riding with friends that are motivated to do a major event, and feed off their motivation, to train with them and end up with all of us riding harder and faster than we ever would of otherwise. So for the individuals that didn't get into the LJ, can't you all organize your own fun event, to just get together and do your own ride? Whatever place you come in at, you get a $130 prise money, you can deffer your expenses with.
Hey, my disclaimer here is that I love what Rick has accomplished in the LJ and wouldn't want to suggest someting contrary to his event but it sounds like he wants to hold at 250 and a thousand are trying to get in.
bernie
Bernard Smith

Postby Happy2BRiding » February 11th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Scotty wrote:
Who cares?

If I never ever hear again the question "what is your lap time at the Poto" it will be too soon!

Funny you say that. Just this past weekend I met a guy while up north XC skiing that I thought looked familiar to me so I asked him if he was a mountain biker. He replied Yes, and then we briefly discussed where we live and which trails we typically ride. After mentioning that I ride Poto fairly regularly he said...so your ride Poto huh, for time? So I told him my normal lap time and he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said, that's competitive. Overall he seemed like a good guy and we continued to talk for about 10 more minutes but I couldn't help but wonder if the conversation would have been the same if my Poto time wasn't "competitive".
Happy2BRiding

Postby Scotty » February 11th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Intense Rider wrote:Funny you say that. Just this past weekend I met a guy while up north XC skiing that I thought looked familiar to me so I asked him if he was a mountain biker. He replied Yes, and then we briefly discussed where we live and which trails we typically ride. After mentioning that I ride Poto fairly regularly he said...so your ride Poto huh, for time? So I told him my normal lap time and he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said, that's competitive. Overall he seemed like a good guy and we continued to talk for about 10 more minutes but I couldn't help but wonder if the conversation would have been the same if my Poto time wasn't "competitive".

Why does anybody care? Why when meeting a stranger would somebody ask a question like that?

I rarely hear that type of stuff on the West side of the state. If it goes on I'm not privy to it and it's not being discussed amongst my friends. I can't remember anybody ever asking me what my lap times are at Yankee Springs. But there definately seems to be some kind of ridiculous heirarchy when it comes to lap times at Poto and a few other trails "over there."
Scotty

Postby wingzz » February 11th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Scotty wrote:
Intense Rider wrote:Funny you say that. Just this past weekend I met a guy while up north XC skiing that I thought looked familiar to me so I asked him if he was a mountain biker. He replied Yes, and then we briefly discussed where we live and which trails we typically ride. After mentioning that I ride Poto fairly regularly he said...so your ride Poto huh, for time? So I told him my normal lap time and he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said, that's competitive. Overall he seemed like a good guy and we continued to talk for about 10 more minutes but I couldn't help but wonder if the conversation would have been the same if my Poto time wasn't "competitive".

Why does anybody care? Why when meeting a stranger would somebody ask a question like that?

I rarely hear that type of stuff on the West side of the state. If it goes on I'm not privy to it and it's not being discussed amongst my friends. I can't remember anybody ever asking me what my lap times are at Yankee Springs. But there definately seems to be some kind of ridiculous heirarchy when it comes to lap times at Poto and a few other trails "over there."

Hey Poto isn't "over there" it's more in the middle so you have to share it
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby mr_opjones » February 11th, 2010, 2:38 pm

wingzz wrote:
Scotty wrote:

:lol:
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby gbk » February 11th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Scotty how fast can you do a lap of this weekends Snow Cross course?
gbk

Postby Scotty » February 11th, 2010, 3:22 pm

gbk wrote:Scotty how fast can you do a lap of this weekends Snow Cross course?

I will be working the race, doing set up and course marshalling. So I will predict that I will be able to do a lab in......ONE BEER!
Scotty

Postby scat silvurz » February 11th, 2010, 3:36 pm

I've been made fun of by Art before, for not taking MTB racing seriously. And he's right, I don't take it seriously! He can continue to make fun of me - its nothing to get my chamoix all moist over....

What he posted about choads [whatever a choad is?], doesn't bother me, since I surmise he'd like to see every single LJ100 racer who enters be neck and neck to the finish line.......but that's never ever gonna happen. It's all about the challenge - and that varies for everyone. And, just like with a meal you buy at a restaurant, just because you paid for it, doesn't mean you have to finish it!!! That goes for racing too.

The LJ100 would suck, if everyone finished......perhaps Art hasn't considered that scenario.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby jajones » February 11th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Scotty wrote:So I will predict that I will be able to do a lab in......ONE BEER!

Scotty, bringing your beastiality problem into this thread is highly inappropriate.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

Postby chrismaltby » February 11th, 2010, 9:15 pm

wingzz wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Come on folks we're being ass holes in this thread. We need to focus on the negativity associated with Art Flemming's post resurrected by Jason Aric Jones about the choads and *beep* who entered the race before all the real deal riders had a chance . Please get this thread back where it belongs -- riding the fumes of my mountain bike *beep*.

Chris
"There are no races. Only lotteries."

-Jacques Anquetil
chrismaltby

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2010, 9:18 pm

chrismaltby wrote:Come on folks we're being ass holes in this thread. We need to focus on the negativity associated with Art Flemming's post resurrected by Jason Aric Jones about the choads and *beep* who entered the race before all the real deal riders had a chance . Please get this thread back where it belongs -- riding the fumes of my mountain bike *beep*.

Are you implying that Italians aren't good cyclists?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby chrismaltby » February 11th, 2010, 9:32 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
chrismaltby wrote:Come on folks we're being ass holes in this thread. We need to focus on the negativity associated with Art Flemming's post resurrected by Jason Aric Jones about the choads and *beep* who entered the race before all the real deal riders had a chance . Please get this thread back where it belongs -- riding the fumes of my mountain bike *beep*.

Are you implying that Italians aren't good cyclists?

If it will start the side show back up, yes Italians are not good cyclists.
"There are no races. Only lotteries."

-Jacques Anquetil
chrismaltby

Postby i69whitey » February 11th, 2010, 9:32 pm

hey, us *beep* are OK, just don't let the irish enter :mrgreen:
(yeah, just like the n-word, i can call myself one)

so my time at poto is a mystery
cause my fancy computer weighs too much to leave on my bike.

the LJ100 is on my bucket list,
didn't think i could pull it off this year,
was in way better shape last winter,
but when i do, i ain't there to impress anybody but me
(see sig for more details)

and jaj, scotty, and the lot 'o ya
met a few and hope to meet more, preferably at a trail, but i gotta warn ya...

...i am the exact same in person :twisted:
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby jalopy jockey » February 11th, 2010, 10:05 pm

i69whitey wrote:

and jaj, scotty, and the lot 'o ya
met a few and hope to meet more, preferably at a trail, but i gotta warn ya...

...i am the exact same in person :twisted:

Nah, your uglier and smellier in person. :evil:

Granted that may be bacause you've always been riding for hours before I ever see you.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

PreviousNext

Return to Racing