Maybury 2010 Time Trial registration is open

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

Maybury 2010 Time Trial registration is open

Postby Sherpaboy » June 23rd, 2010, 9:31 am

Just to let you know the Metrosouth Chapter will be hosting the 5th annual Maybury Challenge on August 21st, 2010.

We have held this event for 4 years as a huge fund raiser for our chapter. All the proceeds go directly to our chapter and are used to help us maintain and build trails. We use these funds for tools and volunteer support at the workdays, but we also use some of the money for education and outreach. Since our organization is completely volunteer based the funds we raise during our 3 annual events (Milford Trail Challenge, Team Tree Farm Relay, and Maybury Challenge) helps us continue to do what we do.

Are you interested in supporting, volunteering or sponsoring the event ? We'd love the help. If you are interested please e-mail sherpaboy@trails-edge.com or metrosouth@mmba.org for more details.

2010's race will follow the same Time Trial format as last year. Elite and Expert racers will do 2 laps of the almost 9 mile course. Everyone else (including SS) will do 1 lap as fast as you can. And just like last year we are going to host the Team Competition (More on the team competition later).

Also for 2010 we have moved to Digital - Timing that is! With the help of Race Services each racer will be timed using an electronic chip. Results will be posted on several computer kiosks for immediate results. Online registration is open from now until Thursday August 19th. Pre-register online and save $10 over day of registration.

Again all the proceeds go directly to the Metrosouth chapter...Your events, your money, your trails.
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=10177

More details to follow...
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Re: Maybury 2010 Time Trial registration is open

Postby mmac1318 » June 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm

I am definetely interested it may be my first race if I do not get in 1 before this. I do have a question though. How are the classes determined? Is there a certain amount of wins or races attended for each class? Thanks in advance...Mike
mmac1318

Postby Sherpaboy » June 25th, 2010, 9:54 am

Mike,
As for classes, there are a few rules of thumb to consider when determining what class to race.
1.) Cycling experience - Granted you may not be the faster thing on two wheels, but if you have been riding bikes for several years and have great handling skills.

2.) Speed - Lets face it you can bust *beep* around any trail...granted you usually ding a few trees along the way...but when it comes to speed you are pretty quick.

3.) Endurance - While the Time trial format is not really as important for stamina...Look at other courses, lengths and mileage for the classes. If you can maintain a high speed for 4 miles then burn out, you probably don't have much stamina. Keep in mind that ideally when you register for a race your also establishing a rider level.

So what does this all mean ?

Let's say you posses one of#1 or #2 above....I encourage racers to try beginner first.

Have both # 1 and #2 mastered...then at minimum (as a first race) your probably okay with Sport.

If you have all 3 then look towards the expert levels.

Keep in mind that racing your level is not just about how fast you are on a particular course or event. Some races will suit you better than others , and XC racing (versus the TT style aka Maybury) will also have large group or "Mass" starts. meaning there are tactics, and navigation of other racers to consider...All XC races I encourage first timers to race Beginner to learn how to race with others before moving up to Expert...where you might just get run over if your in the way :-)

Hope this sheds some insight.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby mmac1318 » June 25th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Thanks Sherpa.. I will most likely race beginner and see how it goes.
Mike
mmac1318

Postby pongomoto » June 25th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Sherp - I'll double check with the wife but I am pretty sure we have nothing going on that weekend. If that's true for sure than I'll come lend a hand. I'll let you know soon.

And thanks again for the hanger for my Redline. Rides perfect now. And if you still have those black and yellow WTB saddles in stock I may swing over next week to check them out.

Last, keep me updated on trail work leading up to the race. With enough notice I can make it out there a day or two to help get the trail ready for the race.
pongomoto

Postby Sherpaboy » June 27th, 2010, 9:42 am

Pongo...I hope you can make it out to help again this year. Or race it at least :wink:

As for trail work, I am going to start working out there on a weekly basis to get the trails back in line with how they should be. I will admit I have been a bit neglectful this season.

On a side note - I am looking to retire from the trail coordinator position in 2011....Anyone interested in taking over for me ? I have been the Asst. or TC there for over 7 years, and I think ti is time for new blood and ideas to take over. It is a volunteer position, I think most of the ground work has been laid for future TC's to have an easier time.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby ramiam764 » July 6th, 2010, 7:53 am

How is the course laid out? I am sure it is all of the current singletrack + additional but I am curious as where the start/finish will be? Any help is appreciated
Thanks
ramiam764

Postby Sherpaboy » July 11th, 2010, 9:11 am

Due to us using parts of the park that are not normal mountain bike trails I am going to refrain from posting the entire course. I will post it as we get closer. But the course is 98% current mountain bike trail. Some of the course is nto even cleared or weed whipped yet either.

Look for more info as we get into August
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby rippledabs » July 20th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Can I get a recommended for which class to register for?

I just started mountain biking two month ago, but I'm pretty lightweight (130lbs), with a decent bike I got for cheap (used Trek Fuel EX7), and my cardio is not bad (been active in sports).

I can do two laps, with a few minutes break in between, at 33 min average.
rippledabs

Postby Sherpaboy » July 21st, 2010, 10:31 am

Can I get a recommended for which class to register for?

I just started mountain biking two month ago, but I'm pretty lightweight (130lbs), with a decent bike I got for cheap (used Trek Fuel EX7), and my cardio is not bad (been active in sports).

I can do two laps, with a few minutes break in between, at 33 min average.

No offense but this is a question you can only answer after racing...

My stupid response is race Elite!

But honestly, if yo have never raced just try beginner...
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby daffunda » July 24th, 2010, 8:16 pm

The only example I've seen where a guy only mtb'd for couple of months (started racing in sport) and went to expert class right next year, was a super cut, zero % body fat, hardcore triathlete, who also is a trainer at a gym.

(He works at a local gym I go to, and he basically has no life besides fitness.)

On the other side of the coin, I did get a 175lb ex HS football player who I went to high school with, who I haven't seen in a couple of years, claim that sport of MTB is ghey. (he was half joking I suppose) He still went to the gym and did the mirror athlete workout.

I never heard from him again, probably since his oversized ego got smashed when I just blew past him. Need I say more?
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby Sherpaboy » July 27th, 2010, 8:43 am

Only a few weeks away....
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby chip80 » July 27th, 2010, 12:04 pm

What's the story with the team competition? Is it a relay with each rider doing a lap? 4-person team?
chip80

Postby Sherpaboy » July 29th, 2010, 2:37 pm

It is not a relay...

Each rider does their own time trial race under their normal category. Then we take these numbers and tally them for each team. We take the average lap time of the team and the best average lap time wins.

It is an add on event...so you must be racing the normal time trial to enter the team competition. Last year we tossed out the fastest and the slowest lap time of each team to make prevent any ringer's
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Ted Ruys » August 7th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Never been to Maybury (Westsider) just wondering what the course is like? I have a couple 10 & Under kids, can someone give me a brief rundown of what its like out there?

Ted
Ted Ruys

Next

Return to Racing