Cadillac Pathway Trail Work (Picture intensive!!)

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Bike Association topics.

Cadillac Pathway Trail Work (Picture intensive!!)

Postby volklgirl » August 12th, 2010, 9:47 pm

I've been working closely with the DNRE and the winter cross country grooming crew to do some trail work out at Cadillac Pathway this year. We've identified 5 areas that need new or alternate routes for rider/skier safety. Here's where we'll be working this summer and fall:

The first re-route was done this spring to avoid a sandy section of road and vehicle/user conflicts. It was originally designed as singletrack, but the groomer crew has identified that area as a problem in the winter as well, so it'll need to be widened to a 6' corridor and straightened a bit near the entrance. This will happen this fall once the current route is ridden in well.

The road:

The re-route:
Last edited by volklgirl on September 14th, 2010, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Cadillac Pathway Trail Work Re-route #2

Postby volklgirl » August 12th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I'm currently working at the top-most area of the map.

Both re-routes here will avoid erosion issues and big sand pits caused by old-school, fall-line trail building. The upper-most section is almost done and will shortly be open to riding. Both sections of the original trail will be closed to traffic with water bars installed and trail recovery attempted.

The erosion (rider's view):
The sand pit at the bottom:
Looking back up the hill:

The re-route (sorry about the picture quality on these...I forgot my camera in the car and had to use my sweaty, damp iPhone)
Looking backwards up the old trail past the exit on the re-route:
Part of the corridor:

If anyone wants to help out on their free time, PM me for guidance on where the work areas are. I'll also need a signed DNRE waiver from you. I'll be organizing some actual work days soon with the possibility of a mini-trail-school at the same time if there's any interest.

Update 8/16: This reroute is now done and open for riding. The main trail has been closed but needs signage and reclaiming.
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Re: Cadillac Pathway Trail Work

Postby volklgirl » August 26th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Updates after this week's work:

The first erosion reroute is finished and signed and reclaiming of the old trail has begun (although I plan to do most of the work for this in the fall).
The new section is already riding in nicely and has great flow.

The alternate route at marker 5 is now 98% flagged and is waiting on the groomer crew to walk it with an eye on suitability for the grooming equipment. Once they give their OK, corridor clearing can begin.

The groomer crew has been working on the first reroute at the road with the chainsaws; widening and straightening it for use in the winter. The bike path is already well worn-in there, so I don't think the singletrack flavor will be lost once they finish their work.

I have also been adding signage for the unmarked singletrack, including colored difficulty ratings and "One Way - Do Not Enter" signs at the exit points.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby Skin N Bones » August 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I have been on this trail since 1984 when it was just the Voc Ed trails.
I ran it on a regular basis thru the 80s.
Took up mtn biking in 93 and saw the boom times of heavy usage there.
Imagine my horror last week when out riding it someone had the audacity to mark and was trying to change
my trail!!!!!
To heck with them I thought as i bombed down a section that was partially filled with old limbs.
By the time I hit the bottom and looked back I realized that the old voc ed trails were in a sad state.
The downhill sections from just this summers heavy rains had suffered huge erosion.
I have never seen "rutting" like this accumulate in such a short time.
So it is someways sad that I have to admit it is time for a change and I thank you for time and effort you have put into the Cadillac Pathway.
I wish I had the time to help but a full time+ job and family barely leaves me enough time to ride.
Best wishes SNB
Skin N Bones

Postby volklgirl » September 9th, 2010, 11:59 pm

The alternate, easier, route around the hill combo coming into 5 from 8 is open and mostly flagged. It still needs the remainder of the flagging, signage, and a rake job.

The cross country alternate route at the established single track around the last of the downhills coming into 8 from 10 (Big Kahuana) has been cleared by the chainsaw crew. Fortunately, they didn't mess with the single track more than absolutely necessary. The wider route crosses the single track a couple of times and routes onto the single track for a bit, but the rest of the route is subtle enough you won't even notice it unless you're looking. Yay! :icon_cheers:

The road by-pass at "The Beach" (the first reroute I did this spring) already has well-established tread; the corridor was widened this week for the cross country skiers. Again, they did a great job of not messing with the single track too much and the removal of some of the dead fall and saplings allows that section to be ridden much faster and smoother.

It's about time for the last erosion reroute (the lower section of the downhill coming from 5 into 6) and the reclaiming of that entire hill section. Pshew. :shock: I'll be planning a pizza and beer party for anyone that wants to help out with that project. Let me know if you're interested in helping out and give me an idea of what dates would work (not Sept 25th as that's the HCP work day!).
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby volklgirl » September 14th, 2010, 9:41 am

The alternate route at 5 is now fully flagged, raked, and ready to ride! Signage should be going in end of this week or beginning of next.
Here's the uphill/downhill combination we're skirting around with this route:
Uphill
Downhill
The alternate route
My 9er enjoying the fresh goodness
Last edited by volklgirl on September 14th, 2010, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby volklgirl » September 14th, 2010, 9:50 am

The original trail near 8:
Looking back up the downhill
From the top
At the bottom

The existing singletrack:
At the top
at the bottom

The final version of the by-pass around the road at "The Beach". Notice the nicely established tread and widened corridor without any loss of singletrack-type goodness! I think my chainsaw guy did a fantastic job on this!!!
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Re: Cadillac Pathway Trail Work (Picture intensive!!)

Postby Nelg » September 14th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Looking awesome Kris! Doing any work tomorrow, or is it a ride day?
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby volklgirl » September 14th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Wednesday is ride night!
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby X6_Guy » September 15th, 2010, 4:11 am

Looks good, although I like the old route at 5. Now if I could just get some time off to ride!
X6_Guy

Postby volklgirl » September 15th, 2010, 10:36 am

The new section at 5 is an alternate for those who don't like that hill combo. In this case, and at 8, the main trail is staying open for those that prefer the challenge unless erosion becomes a problem in the future.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » September 15th, 2010, 3:05 pm

What time is the ride on Wednesday?
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby volklgirl » September 15th, 2010, 3:25 pm

This late in the season, 6:00 pm. Earlier this summer, 6:30.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby X6_Guy » May 22nd, 2011, 11:23 pm

What kind of shape is the trail in this year with all the rain we've been getting? I may have to do a night ride soon if the weather is nice after work.
X6_Guy

Postby volklgirl » May 24th, 2011, 12:56 pm

I'm technically grounded from the dirt right now, so I haven't been out there yet. :-(
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Return to NMMBA