clydesdale tire size

Advocacy, riding, training, racing

clydesdale tire size

Postby Buck91 » April 28th, 2018, 5:11 pm

S question for you guys who are well north of 200lbs. I'm less of a cyclist build and more of a football lineman; in fact even when I was in really good shape I still weight over 230lbs. Now its like 260. I have been running 700x23 tires for years with no troubles so I guess that answers my question but I just wonder if I would be able to suffer a nicer ride or any other benefit (particularly durability) by going wider. 99% of my road bike riding is on dedicated trails (e.g. Kent Trails) so it is really low demand but I have experienced a few pinch flats when riding roads over the years. Would going 25 make any difference or do I really need to look at 28 for any appreciable difference?
Buck91

Re: clydesdale tire size

Postby bikerector » April 28th, 2018, 9:25 pm

It will make a difference if you lower the pressure to go with it. You will suffer less flats also, may or may not be a problem for you. Basically, each of those steps is a 10% increase in tire width. I way 260 and the setup I've found I like a lot is 28mm rear, to carry the weight, and a 25mm front for a little extra stiffness when out of the saddle. In my experience, the difference between 23 and 25 is noticeable but mild and the difference from 23 to 28 is big. I ride 28's comfortable on dirt roads on my road bike but I'm cautious if there's a lot of chatter bumps. Standard dirt road conditions are very do-able on 28mm even for a big guy, not ideal but do-able.

When I'm at race weight of 220-230, 25's are golden but I raced a number of years on 23's because that's what my race bike allowed. 25's grip a lot better in chattery corners, 28's even more so but there are trade offs once you get that wide. I feel 28's get bouncy when sprinting unless you pump them hard but them you might as well have a 25 because you've lost the advantage of the wide tire by pumping the tire so hard.

Also keep in mind that if you have some of the newer wide rims they make a tire almost a full-size large, or feel a size larger at least.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby Buck91 » April 29th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the perspective! For my recreational and fitness riding I wonder if 28s would be best on the next set of rubber. Rear is starting to wear but front still looks new. Any thoughts on 23/28 combo?
Buck91

Postby bikerector » April 29th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Not knowing what bike you have and how the weight balance works out, many bikes tend to have roughly a 40%/60% weight balance front/rear so the bigger rear tire makes sense, in my opinion. Road race bikes are closer to 30%/70%. I don't think there's any reason that the 23mm/28mm would cause too much concern except that there would be a slight height difference but I think this would be negligible once the bike is weight and the tires flex (measuring would be the best way to know).

I also forgot to mention, the wider tires get noticeably better mileage, purely based on the theory that there's more rubber to wear away.

Reference about weight distribution: http://www.velonews.com/2015/01/bikes-a ... ity_357312
bikerector

Postby c0nsumer » April 29th, 2018, 10:03 pm

If you're recreational riding, I'd go as wide as you can. I really like my 38c tires on pavement. ;)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby SteveF » April 30th, 2018, 8:20 am

c0nsumer wrote:If you're recreational riding, I'd go as wide as you can. I really like my 38c tires on pavement. ;)

For sure-I haven't ridden anything smaller than a 32c in ages, and go fatter when I can. I'd recommend the biggest tire you can fit. Smoother ride, more secure cornering, protects the rim from dents, it's a good way to go.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby bikerector » May 1st, 2018, 5:58 am

Uh, I wish more road bikes took wider tires. I like aggressive geo's of the race bikes but the limit of fatman friendly tire sizes is a nuisance. I run 32's on my vassago fisti for "fun miles" of all sorts. When I get the 38's on I'm going to see how it does on some lighter mtb trails like tree farm which is a blast on my sscx bike and tubeless 35mm (I'm careful on rooty sections because there's still not a lot of volume there).

I still don't think most dedicated pavement bikes will take much over a 32mm tire but I know that's been expanding with the removal of rim brakes. I feel like 35mm is a max on a lot of bikes unless specifically designed to be wide tire road bikes/gravel bike/monstercross. Many of the first CX disc bikes were still limited to 35mm I think.
bikerector

Postby bbender785 » May 15th, 2018, 8:18 am

i'll agree with the above, if you're not racing there's no reason to go less than a 28 if your frame and brakes will clear them as far as i'm concerned. i'm only a tick over 200lb kitted up, but personally i can't imagine running anything smaller than the 28's i do (my road bike is merely a training/group ride bike).
bbender785

Postby bikerector » May 16th, 2018, 5:46 pm

I think I should have also added that the road conditions also matter, even though that can be obvious after a little while of riding. I found the skinnier tire combos I used to run on West Michigan roads worked out well as the roads over there are generally in far better condition than the roads in the metro-Detroit area. Some of the paved roads in the Livonia area were bad enough that I thought gravel was a smoother ride because there at least weren't gaps in the surface like there were gaps in the concrete on the paved roads and road tires don't like missing pavement.
bikerector

Return to Road Cycling and Commuting