Winter footwear

Advocacy, riding, training, racing

Winter footwear

Postby Buck91 » January 9th, 2019, 1:59 pm

So I’ve been out of the cycling routine for a couple years now but looking to start back up. Used to commute year round as well as do recreational road and mtb rides year round. So I used to be very accustom to cold weather riding and did fine with heavy weight merino socks and slightly oversized shoes. Last time I rode in cold weather.... I was far less accustomed. Plus, that’s not a very effective option when you are hovering near freezing and have to deal with liquid water.

I don’t have a large budget for new bike gear at this point but the only thing I lack is a good winter shoe setup. Any suggestions on good shoe covers? Or would I be better off to bite the bullet on some winter shoes? I’m interested in staying clipless- not going platform just because it’s winter. Plus I’m a very solid Clyde’s and wear a 48-49 shoe...

FWIW I would be looking to gear up for roughly hour-long rides. Probably around 12-15 miles each. Mostly paved surfaces but maybe MTB weather and schedule affording the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buck91

Re: Winter footwear

Postby barrybs » January 9th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Here are some very warm 48's for sale. ( not mine)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=140647#p952721
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby c0nsumer » January 9th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Winter shoes are really the best way to go. I have both Specialized Defrosters and 45NRTH Wolvhammers and like them both. I use my Defrosters for road and dry trail rides from about 50F to just below freezing, and the Wolvhammers for whenever there is snow on the ground.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » January 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Covers are not warm enough so just get winter shoes. Above mentioned boots look like a great deal. Toe warmers stuck to the top of your foot also help a lot for about $13 for a big box at Costco.
b_b

Postby Hudnut » January 9th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I either use my summer shoes with duct tape on the vents. Then for long rides put a chemical toe warmer on the outside of the shoe then top off with regular shoe covers. For fat biking I just put on flats and wear my hiking boots with layered socks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby bbender785 » January 17th, 2019, 10:31 am

i tried the shoe cover thing for a year.. no bueno. no insulation in the soles meant the cleats were a heatsink and sucked any warmth right out the bottom. also as a size 13 shoe wearer, stretching shoe covers to (or past) their limits meant they didn't hold up well for me.

i've been wearing Northwave Artic GTX i scored online for less than $130 for three winters now. sure, i'd love a pair of Wolvhammers or Wolfgars for the real cold days, but they haven't fit in the budget just yet.
bbender785

Postby slukomski » January 18th, 2019, 5:54 pm

I love my Shimano MW 81 shoes. Feel like my summer shoes, but warm and water resistant. Chemical toe warmers when it’s REALLY cold (sub 20) and I can ride for hours with warm feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
2017 Scott Scale 930
Tons of tires hanging on the garage wall
A bunch of parts in a tote
dreams of breaking 2:00:00 at Iceman
slukomski

Postby DynoDon » January 18th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I don't use clips in the winter, they clog up too much,,, I like flats, with 5/10 high tops, one pair of Red Wing Shoes minero wool socks, thats for the trail, for the gravel bike I still use clips, but 5/10 shoes with minero wool socks, just one pair, I have never had cold feet in any weather.
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » January 18th, 2019, 6:36 pm

DynoDon wrote:I don't use clips in the winter, they clog up too much,,, I like flats, with 5/10 high tops, one pair of Red Wing Shoes minero wool socks, thats for the trail, for the gravel bike I still use clips, but 5/10 shoes with minero wool socks, just one pair, I have never had cold feet in any weather.

I switched to Eggbeaters from SPDs because I found SPDs would pack full of ice pretty awfully. Eggbeaters, though... Just rake your foot across the pedal and both it and the cleat clear. Waaaaay better for winter use.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » January 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm

i keep my SPD pedals and cleats sprayed with silicone spray and have no issues with clogging.
bbender785

Postby jhmotard » January 22nd, 2019, 12:42 pm

Due to the failure rate of the egg-beater pedal, I wouldn't want to be stranded in the cold after snapping the axle at the threads...:haha: Give me an SPD any day, I don't mind smacking the sole against the pedal a couple times before securing the cleat.
Enjoy The Flow
jhmotard

Postby c0nsumer » January 22nd, 2019, 1:09 pm

jhmotard wrote:I don't mind smacking the sole against the pedal a couple times before securing the cleat.

This doesn't unclog the failure mode I experienced.

My experience is that the body of the pedal itself would pack with slush, freeze, and become a block of ice. I had to dig it out with a key while breathing on it to thaw it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby jhmotard » January 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm

Someone I know had the same experience, but claimed it was due to buying the lowest level Shimano SPD pedals. Idk, my XT trail pedals were just fine.
Enjoy The Flow
jhmotard

Postby c0nsumer » January 22nd, 2019, 3:10 pm

To be fair, this was well before the days of groomed trails or even many people having fat bikes. So there was a LOT more walking in snow.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » February 5th, 2019, 9:43 am

as i mentioned above i highly recommend you guys try spraying your cleats and pedals with silicone spray.. it really helps. i also spray some on a rag and wipe down my fatbike wheels, it helps with snow buildup as well (and makes them look great). just avoid overspray near your brakes.

bbender785 wrote:..sure, i'd love a pair of Wolvhammers or Wolfgars for the real cold days, but they haven't fit in the budget just yet.

for the record, since this post i scored some Wolvhammers on REI at over 50% off... these things are next-level. polar vortex what?
bbender785

Next

Return to Road Cycling and Commuting