How much of your commute is on streets

Advocacy, riding, training, racing

What % of your commute is on streets vs trials, paths, and MUPs?

10%
7%
25%
12%
50%
12%
75%
10%
90%
15%
100%
44%

Total votes : 41

How much of your commute is on streets

Postby tate » March 26th, 2009, 8:18 am

Do you ride more streets or trails on your daily commute? This is a big question I keep getting asked as city council and other transportation meetings.
Tate
Living the Texas life....missing Michigan
tate

Re: How much of your commute is on streets

Postby SteveF » March 26th, 2009, 9:25 am

How would you categorize a striped, on-street bike lane? Sidewalk?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Special Goodness » March 26th, 2009, 10:18 am

I don't understand people's great need for bike lanes and seperated pathways. Streets already go where you need to go, and they are safe if you are a safe rider. It seems to me that bike lanes ect. are a bandaid for poor rider/driver education and a scapegoat for making real and lasting progress in this fight for a place in the transportation system. I'm sure most of the people on this site disagree to some extent, and that's fine. I just want people to think about how different the roads could be if all the energy and resources that we put into bike lanes, MUPs, and the like where instead directed at driver/rider education programs starting in schools and continuing into adulthood. Just think about it.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Postby scat silvurz » March 26th, 2009, 10:45 am

Streets already go where you need to go, and they are safe if you are a safe rider.

*beep*

True somewhat, but I guess you never rode a motorcycle on the street?.........it's not the rider, it's the car and truck drivers that will mash you....that's why bike lanes and extra wide shoulders are a welcome refuge for bicyclists.

"Let's have another PROGRAM, that will fix everything!!!"

Any program will not make car and truck drivers notice motorcyclists, or bicyclists for that matter, any more than they have since time began. I would never put my own personal safety in the hands of some program designed to make it safer for me out in the big bad world.....it's everyone for themselves out there, and carving out a bike lane on a road makes it easier for me to keep out of harm's way. I'll be my own pilot, just give me enough room to fly.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Special Goodness » March 26th, 2009, 1:03 pm

scat silvurz wrote:True somewhat, but I guess you never rode a motorcycle on the street.
Actually I have, and I've been hit by cars twice on my bicycle. I still don't see the need to seperated. In both incidents, the drivers reacted poorly to a bicycle legally in traffic. Probably because they so rarely had to interact with bicycles in traffic and didn't know the correct way to react. Bike lanes don't solve that problem. They just move the point of conflict further towards the suburbs.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Postby i69whitey » March 26th, 2009, 1:16 pm

commute=100% road

Special Goodness wrote:Half of all people are below average.
right from your sig, bro.
you can't fix stupid, and John Q is a dumb mf-er.
still have a cycle endorsment (since the mid-70's) and a raliegh that's even older.
like i told a cop once, "i'll follow all the rules, right after i ride an hour without someone trying to kill me".
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby SteveF » March 26th, 2009, 2:05 pm

[quote="i69whitey"]...you can't fix stupid, and John Q is a dumb mf-er.../quote]

Not to mention that driving seems to make people dumber and less patient.

There's a place for all the things mentioned here and some that aren't. Quiet country roads don't need anything but a few hours, a little sunshine and maybe a tailwind. Busy arterial streets benefit from bike lanes--steady 40-60 mph traffic sucks to ride in! Dedicated bike paths that link areas not easily connected by bike-friendly streets are nice, beneficial for casual cyclists and a nice break for the dedicated commuter/road rider. And education so drivers know how to behave around bikes (and visa versa!) is important, too.

Thinking about how far we have to go to improve things, and the resistance we face depresses the *beep* out of me, frankly. I just hit the trails when I get a chance, ride my familiar, quiet roads and hope I don't get whomped by someone anyway.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby scat silvurz » March 26th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I ride Plymouth-Ann Arbor Rd. pretty much the whole way to work [from plymouth to A2]. It has a luxurious 5 foot wide PAVED shoulder - and this feature alone makes commuting on a 55 mph speed limit road possible without losing one's mind from stress. West of Ford Road, the 5' wide shoulder disappears, but there is a hard gravel shoulder I ride on [which is why a CX bike is the ultimate MI commuter] instead of riding on the busted up tarmac, west of Ford Rd [where the speed limit is still 55 mph]. It's like a 5' wide smooth singletrack!

Sure, you don't NEED bike lanes/wide shoulders, but much like the Full-Suspension debate, it sure is NICE TO HAVE!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby tate » March 27th, 2009, 8:34 am

I am mainly trying to separate a path from a street, bike lane or not. I am working with several cities and trying to get them info on how many ride roads as a commuting option. My hope is to get them all to do like Austin and Ft. Worth do here in TX, where at a min a wide outside lane is required on all new roads where possible, I personally do not like bike lanes, and most Mups are not able to be retrofitted to make good commuter routes, so getting streets more cycling friendly is what I am trying to do.
tate

Postby i69whitey » March 27th, 2009, 10:13 am

really like what Oakland County is doing here. they put a wide blacktop 'bikelane' on one side of the main roads, a ways from the curb, instead of sidewalks on both sides. leaves the rider farther from harm and probably saves some money by only paving on one side of the street. might not work right downtown, but in the suburbs it is the schnizzle.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
i69whitey

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 27th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I have a route that goes thru Canton and Plymouth and is mostly on sidewalks which is nice when it's dark in the morning and keeps it way safer. I do surprize the heck out of a jogger/walker on occasion however, but wouldn't you get out of the way when a 10 watt halogen light is coming at you ? I'm amazed how some don't notice until the very last minute even though I see them coming and steer out of the way. My route is mostly uphill on the way in and mostly downhill on the way home which makes it fun after a long day at work ! I plan on doing it 3 times a week this year.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Trek930 » March 31st, 2009, 9:25 am

I stay on the road as much as possible. However, I also avoid the main roads as much as possible and create routes through subdivisions. By car I can get to ACF in 9 miles. However, my bike route is 11.5 miles. I don't trust Hall road despite the full lane on the side of the road.

The thing I would like most is making bike friendly connectors to nearby roads. Take the following location:
Cal and Avon Lake
There is a path connector you can see from the satellite photos between the A and B locations. This allows a cyclist to safely cut 1/8 mile out of a route. More of these connectors would be great and allow me to drop many miles from some of my commuting routes.

A good book to read is The Art of Urban Cycling by Robert Hurst. This book is how I cycle on the roads. I also wear a yellow safety vest, yellow cycling jacket, yellow panniers for my work clothes and lots of rear lights (on back of the helmet, on rear rack, on left side pannier, 12 watt halogen head light). So far from the last 3-4 years of cycling I have not been hit yet. (yea, I knocked on wood)

[edit] changed bike route distance to ACF from 13 to 11.5. Finally calculated it accurately. I even found a new route that shaves of .4 miles by cutting through a apartment complex. :D
Last edited by Trek930 on April 5th, 2009, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small but able : MMBP Comments made by me, are mine and not those of the MMBA, NMBP, or IMBA
Ride: Giant NRS 1
Exercise: Surly Cross Check.
Trek930

Postby i69whitey » March 31st, 2009, 9:43 am

Trek930 wrote:The thing I would like most is making bike friendly connectors to nearby roads. Take the following location:
Cal and Avon Lake
found a similar cut thru the side streets from Metro Parkway south to Moravian, between Utica and Garfield. the street Glouchester has cul-de-sacs at a couple spots but the sidewalk goes thru :)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=&vps=4&jsv=151e&sll=42.564365,-82.96021&sspn=0.007033,0.013733&ie=UTF8&geocode=FeB1iQIdIyEO-w&split=0
now if we could just get the people that live along the path to stop blocking the public right of way with fences and shrubs...
i69whitey

Postby jalopy jockey » April 2nd, 2009, 10:54 am

I answered 100% becasue that is what my commute to work is, however I use the MUPs for many other trips that others would drive for. Like a few forgotten item grocery trip, kids to numerous parks, apple picking, etc. some of these trips are 99.5% MUP. Each has thier own time and place.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Di_bear » April 2nd, 2009, 12:32 pm

In quite a simply way, legislation is the reflection of the mentality of the people.

The mentality of Michigan drivers, especially down there, is pretty harsh towards cyclists. Many of you have provided enough examples to support this. Since this is the case, I see no reason why we shouldn't provide a safe place for cyclists.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Next

Return to Road Cycling and Commuting