Rose Lake

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Rose Lake

Postby jbra7733 » April 15th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Sweet! Thanks guys
jbra7733

Postby rvd » April 30th, 2012, 6:42 pm

It's, uhm, wet out there, but that's what happens when you try to ride in a downpour :D
[edit: ok maybe no downpour, but at least a steady rain - as has been said before, Rose lake is by far the best Lansing area trail for wet conditions; you essentially ride wet sand; mud is far and few between]

Rode the main loop twice tonight, and it is all in good shape. The vegetation is beautiful and getting lush, but there are still surprisingly few face slappers. Someone has done some work on the section that we are not supposed to talk about. Obviously I don't remember where is was, but it sure was fun riding...
rvd

Postby rvd » May 2nd, 2012, 8:14 pm

Rode here again tonight. Conditions were generally good, but the ride was memorable for a number of reasons:

1. In a move that made me think of the person who posted here a while ago in the lost-found section that he lost the pink mitten of his wife (riiiight ;-)), I managed to 'lube' my chain with a can of hairspray that I had previously used to glue my grips onto the handlebar (suuure!). I realized my mistake when the smell of my bike started to overpower the general horse scent in the parking lot :lol:.

2. On my first lap around I got charged by a big black dog, which was a bit of a scary experience especially after all the recent horror stories here on the board. While shouting something incoherent and sending some expletives to the owner, I sprinted away. Later on, I ran into 4 more dogs, none of them on a leash (interesting really because I hardly encounter anyone at Rose). All owners were friendly though, and I was a little more aware of my surroundings, slowing down when seeing one in the distance or suspecting one around a corner.

3. Mosquitoes are back :-(

4. I finally did what I had been eyeing for a while: bunnyhop the big log on the S-N section of trail from main trail to the ridge trail loop. It felt good all three times I cleared it and, not insignificantly, it allowed me to grab a Strava KOM that Allmountin' had owned for a while :-).
Last edited by rvd on May 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvd

Postby AllMountin' » May 2nd, 2012, 8:51 pm

If it's the tree I think it is, that's pretty impressive, and a very useful skill in trail riding. I've been working on my hops, but mostly form, and I've got a long way to go. I can still hop higher the 'wrong' way, and wouldn't dare trying that particular log.

Haven't been out here in probably over a month, and I don't think I own much of anything on Strava anymore. Impressive work.

My constant 12 hour shifts at the sweat shop ended today, so maybe I'll catch you out here some evenings now, but not till after vacation.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby rvd » May 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm

AllMountin' wrote:If it's the tree I think it is, that's pretty impressive, and a very useful skill in trail riding.

It is the one that you always ride over, and everybody else rides around. Thanks for wearing it down a bit with your bashguard; made it easier for me!
AllMountin' wrote:My constant 12 hour shifts at the sweat shop ended today, so maybe I'll catch you out here some evenings now, but not till after vacation.

You are joining the BCSP trip this weekend, no?
rvd

Postby AllMountin' » May 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm

rvd wrote:You are joining the BCSP trip this weekend, no?

Actually, the BCSP trip is joining *me*. 8)

Haha, but seriously, yeah I'll be there. Fixed and bled the brakes today. No more zip ties or duct tape.

Leaving tomorrow after work. I'll keep the trails warm for ya... ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby raptorTC » May 8th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Rose Lake has lived up to its reputation and taken all of the rain we've gotten in the last week really well. I was just out there and most of it was dry. I still managed to get pretty lost out there so I failed to chase my Strava glory on the south part of the trail. I also had a mechanical issue right in the middle of a segment so I turned out an embarrassing 3mph average and last place :P Still had a good time though.
raptorTC

Postby Krol_Franklin_E » May 9th, 2012, 10:38 am

Never pick up trail gloves.
Krol_Franklin_E

Postby reidabel » May 13th, 2012, 10:37 am

Just got back from Rose Lake, first ride there this year. After all the rain we've been getting I figured it was my best bet for today. The trailbed was good, wet but very rideable even in the sandy sections. Quite a bit of overhang of wet vegetation, though, but not enough to prevent getting through, and I didn't get particularly wet from it.
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » May 21st, 2012, 7:33 pm

I had a leisurely ride out here after work. The parking lot was bone dry. Trail tread is in great shape. Occasional slappers throughout the North, but I didn't run the South at all.

There is a large downed tree on the lower part of the ridge trail. I'll bring a chainsaw next time out. Not sure when that will be. Could be tomorrow or a couple of weeks.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » June 2nd, 2012, 10:16 pm

Went out here today, but forgot about the downed tree, so no saw to cut it. On the N/S trail, the upper parts of a tree encroach on the trail. I pulled it back enough to open half of the trail, but it will require at least a hand saw. Removed a few other branches, and most of the trail is clear. Two low clearance leaners. One is on the rocky cutoff to the ridge trail. The other on the South, near the tight little 'S' curve.

No mud. Minor slappers. Good riding.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » June 15th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Walked the trail with the saw this afternoon. Cleared the tree off the ridge trail and closed the bypass. Cleared the large tree off the Eastern part of the ridge trail. Cut the ghetto log pile out of the middle of the two big rocks on the rocky cutoff, as they were ruining my favorite tech piece out there. Cut the low clearance off the rocky cutoff, which was hanging over the log pile. It was getting too low. Cleared the top of the tree off the N/S trail. Grabbed a few other items along the way.

Most of the trail should be free of obstruction. Typical slappers. Last time out, there was a no brunch on the South trail, right in the tight little 'S' curve. It was too far out for the time I had, so I'm guessing it's still there.

Whatever. None of you clowns are riding this trail anyway. ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » June 15th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Thank you, Steve. I've ridden Rose Lake only once this year and have basically forgotten about it with all the other stuff going on. I should get out there again ... as soon as my right knee calms down ...
reidabel

Postby owosso bob » November 2nd, 2012, 7:29 pm

I am in for the night rides after Dec . 5 if the doc okays it . It has worked for 20 years or so out there so if it isn't broke do not try and fix it . Everyone of the user groups seem to get along .
owosso bob

Postby rvd » November 7th, 2012, 2:54 am

I vote for Tuesday; fits better with my work schedule, at least until '13.
rvd

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA