Rose Lake

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Rose Lake

Postby AllMountin' » November 7th, 2012, 9:22 am

Nevada residents don't get a say in this. ;-)

I'm all voted out for a while. Tuesday works for me. Let's do it.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby wannabee » November 7th, 2012, 2:58 pm

I'll be there, probably off the back but there............
wannabee

Postby rvd » November 20th, 2012, 11:01 pm

We saw a big owl again tonight. Three people out for the group ride and one other lone rider (on a Kermit green frame). Trails are excellent and the watercrossings are all dry, except for the easternmost one on the North extension trail. Hoping for a few more people to join next week's group ride. Promise, it will be no drop for 45 minutes to an hour.
rvd

Postby Mike 373 » April 23rd, 2013, 5:51 pm

I think learning to roll with your crashes would help. Not something most people practice. I think the pressure suit is a little overkill. If it makes your riding more enjoyable go for it. Who cares what people think. I sometimes run flat pedals and work boots. Full skin suit with a tutu and a full face chainsaw helmet. -----ok maybe not :lol:
Mike 373

Postby Mike 373 » April 23rd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Yes thats what I meant. It can absorb impact but not the twisting motion. I broke my shoulder falling of my motorcycle(dirtbike). I came to a stop to avoid a down rider and fell over while stopped. SNAP! there went the head of my humorous. At a dead stop! Sometimes things just happen.
Mike 373

Postby AllMountin' » April 29th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I looked at that jump section for the first time in a while. The lip of that middle jump is pretty worn down. I only hit the top. There is water below the bottom one and I've got some PTSD from casing it a couple times a long time ago. :-) I need more time on the tabletops.

Conditions are pretty typical for post rain, but maybe a little extra special. The two mud spots are at the East end of the ridge trail and at the North to South intersection at the main trail. I had to walk both spots. The rest of the trail is solid, at least in terms of moisture. Unfortunately, it looks like a parade of horses did the full loop, and the trail overall is as chopped up as I've ever seen it. Pretty bumpy in places.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » May 14th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Niiiice! He makes it look easy ... and makes the rest of us wonder why we're too scared to try them ;-)

(Okay, I've actually done the first one, but the next two do scare me)
reidabel

Postby reidabel » May 18th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Conditions are decent, and as to be expected with a multi-use trail - a few piles of horse manure on the trail, and several sections of horse divots in the sand. The standing water is surprising South of the main East/West trail near the bridge, given that the water in the creek itself is pretty low, a couple of feet below the top of the big culverts. Skipped that whole area.

A lot of chainsaw work has been done out there since I was there last, somebody has removed a lot of logs across the trail, even little ones that were easy to get over. It feels dumbed-down, like so many other trails around here lately.

Went over to Anderson afterwards and really noticed how much better the trailbed is there than at Rose Lake. Had a good ride at both, though.

The bugs were bad in the parking lot, and I applied spray immediately. I didn't really slow down once I got on the trail, so I'm not sure how they were inside the trees. Bad, I suspect. The bugs at Anderson Park were minimal, if any.
reidabel

Postby Mike 373 » May 18th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Down trees are bad out there. The huge one by the ridge over the trail is kida scary! It is getting close to the time of year I stop riding out there do to the overgrowth and bugs. Fun trail though. I am suprided how far the water is down already. It was way high! Looked a 1/4 mile wide from the top of the ridge.
Mike 373

Postby wannabee » April 11th, 2014, 5:41 am

Went to check out Rose Lake last night, it is dry and good to go. I didnt try the ridge trail as I'm sure that is still very muddy. Lots of trees to clear, but it looks like the DNR must of cut a lot of it, still about 6-7 places to clear though. if i can enlist some help i will try to clear them this weekend, don't have enough strength back yet to clear them on my own. Was real glad to be back in the saddle and on the trails again for the 1st time in 9 months.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » April 14th, 2014, 6:22 am

Cool, Thanks, i was busy clearing downed trees from the yard all weekend, I'll get out this week after work to get the rest. Seems i'm stronger than i thought i was, just got to keep a steady pace.
wannabee

Postby SteveF » February 27th, 2015, 1:18 pm

That figures! Forget them, man-life's too short...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » March 8th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I skied out at Burchfield yesterday, and despite it being groomed for skiing, I ended up following the clean tracks that some other skier had laid down on the extreme right-hand side, I'm talking a couple of feet off to the side. it was just much better than being in the big wide middle track that had ski tracks, hiker footprints, and yes, even (illegal) fat-bike tire tracks, all on top of each other. Just one bike, it looked like. I can see the point of your skier, it was much better being off to the side in untouched tracks. The bike wasn't really sinking in at all, but still it was better not to be on top of his tracks. For me, at least, cross-country skiing is much harder to do than riding the bike, so every bit of smoothness helps.

I came across one place where the tracks were all separated by a foot or two: bike tracks on the left, ski tracks in the middle, and footprints on the right. It was a beautiful sight! Cooperation and respect ...

No big deal, I'm just saying - I think your skier has a valid point. That said, should you change what you're doing? Who knows, it's not up to me ...
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » March 30th, 2015, 3:50 pm

South is in fantastic shape. North and Main trails not so much. Walked a lot of the North and took the chance to fill in some minor rutting. Probably okay for a fatty, except for the ridge trail.

Gonna take some out and backs on the South and call it a day.

Edited to say that the main trail is good to go. mostly dry, with a couple of moist spots in the first 50 yards.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby Jared13 » January 11th, 2016, 8:29 pm

That's awesome!
Jared13

Previous

Return to MMMBA