Rose Lake

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Bike Association (formerly Mid-State chapter) topics.

Re: Rose Lake

Postby xcrdr » May 8th, 2011, 8:17 am

We used to be able to ride everywhere we wanted out there. An agreement was made about 20 years ago that horses would stay west of Peacock and bikers would stay east. Hikers could of course go anywhere. There should be NO horses on the east trails. I have no clue as to why someone would take the log pile down. I'm guessing it's not the DNR. More likely horse riders just trying to be difficult. The logpile served as a better entrance to the climb that a reroute would. As for the roots, WTH? That is just plain *beep*. Hopefully we can catch whoever is doing that.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby owosso bob » May 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

I rode out there yesterday about 11:00 and I did not see any roots cut out so it must have happened after that . Having ridden over here for 20 plus years I can tell you we used to ride on the west side of Peacock road where the gun range is now all the way up to the pheasant pens . There was a lot of little trails all over . Denny,s bike shop used to have a ride out there on thursdays and a group us from Owosso rode there once a week in the spring time . Never seen so much bandit trail building as there is this year and I hope this does not cause friction with the DNR as they usually frown on anything that is not approved . I would suggest that anyone who wants to trail build go over to Sleppy Hollow they have been looking for a TC for a long time , it could be an awesome trail with a lot of work . By the way Steve be careful about the gramps analogy I resemble that remark .
owosso bob

Postby reidabel » May 8th, 2011, 3:13 pm

AllMountin' - I rode this morning from 9:15 to noon and you must have fixed your log pile. I was going to come on here and comment on how good it is now - I can ride it both ways, and I hadn't made it in any of a handful of previous attempts. I saw the bypass and rode it, not realizing it was a bypass, I figured it was just a trail going up the hill. I don't like it, I'd prefer people just got off the bike and walked over the log pile if they don't want to try it. The pile does look intimidating, and maybe the horses have issues with trying it. Maybe the horses will take the bypass and leave the log pile alone? It would be nice to know what type of trail user partially destroyed the log pile and why.

Regarding you building on the trail - this downed tree is a big monster that we would have no way of riding over without the pile Steve has kindly created. He's not using lumber and/or nails, so I don't think anybody, even the DNR, would have a problem with this. Thanks for doing it.

You know, that was only the third time I've been on the ridge trail, and only my fourth time at Rose Lake, and I didn't notice any missing roots or see any places where it looked like roots were cut out. But I'll believe you, and just mention that it wasn't me removing roots. Or anything else. Well, I DID remove probably a couple of hundred thorn branches this morning - I remembered the clippers this time, and I found the thorny areas that must have flayed pfox90.

I have a question, though - what about the logs here and there that I can't go over without hitting my chain ring - are those rideable by somebody with more skill than me? If so, how? I can get my front tire over them by lifting the wheel up before hitting it, but I don't know what to do about the chainring biting into the log. Or do people just grind over it, using the chainring for grip? I don't want to bend the teeth!

Anyway, a beautiful day for riding today. Felt a lot like Fall riding with all the dead leaves down. It was sweet out there, my first time without either one or two kids along, so I could increase the pace and try lots of places I had not yet been. Fun!

When I left, I was backing out of my Woodbury lot parking spot and a big pickup with a horse trailer pulled in and blocked me from getting out. I looked over and the driver rolled her window down and asked if I would mind staying for a few minutes and helping her out. She needed me to hold her horse so she could get up her little stepladder and climb onto it. The horse apparently steps forward every time she tries to climb on - sounds like something a cat would do :-)

So I helped her out and she went on her way, along with two big black dogs.

Also, I discovered that the shooting range has a port-a-potty that we can ride right up to - just in case anybody wants to know that ... nobody shot me, but I did get some looks.
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » May 8th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Where is this port-a-potty in relation to the Woodbury parking lot?
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » May 8th, 2011, 4:30 pm

If you take the main trail, straight ahead (West) from the Woodbury parking lot and go all the way to the big scaffolded bridge over the creek, then cross the bridge and ride a couple of minutes more, you will reach the Peacock Rd parking lot. From there, head South on Peacock Rd about 100 yards and turn right (West) into the shooting range parking lot. From there, ride in the main entry onto the sidewalk, through the gate and it is on the left.

I'm considering parking at the Peacock lot from now on because of this and the fact that it is closer to the ridge trail than the Woodbury lot is. Although, if a person crashes on the jumps, it would be a shorter crawl back to the Woodbury lot :-)
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » May 8th, 2011, 11:10 pm

owosso bob wrote:I rode out there yesterday about 11:00 and I did not see any roots cut out so it must have happened after that . Having ridden over here for 20 plus years I can tell you we used to ride on the west side of Peacock road where the gun range is now all the way up to the pheasant pens . There was a lot of little trails all over . Denny,s bike shop used to have a ride out there on thursdays and a group us from Owosso rode there once a week in the spring time . Never seen so much bandit trail building as there is this year and I hope this does not cause friction with the DNR as they usually frown on anything that is not approved . I would suggest that anyone who wants to trail build go over to Sleppy Hollow they have been looking for a TC for a long time , it could be an awesome trail with a lot of work . By the way Steve be careful about the gramps analogy I resemble that remark .

Sorry about the gramps analogy Bob. You seem to get around pretty well, I must say. Saw you ride by at Hopkins today, as I was having a picnic with the family. How were the trails?

I'll have another look to be sure, but I'm almost certain on the one root. I ride the ridge both ways and the root in question is on the first of two tough, rooted climbs going in the clockwise direction. It is near the crest of the hill and *used to* run the width of the trail, such that it could not be ridden around. When I first started riding there, I had a little trouble cleaning that hill, specifically because of that root. I'd get near the top and stall on that root. I don't have any trouble with it anymore, but I notice it for that reason. Half of the root remains on the right, but the left has been cleared. I was still flustered about the log pile and re-route, so maybe I'm imagining things? The other spot, of which I was less certain, was counter-clockwise, coming up from the log pile. It just struck me as if something was missing shortly after you make that tight, left/right turn and head up the hill. There was some ruffled, lighter colored dirt there, but I didn't dig around to investigate.

At any rate- what's done is done- and is relatively subtle. I'd just hate to see more roots disappear from these climbs/descents.

Was unaware of the agreement that xcrdr alluded to regarding horses on the West side. If such an agreement exists, it is not being honored by the equestrians. I have NO issue with the equestrians out there, but am curious as to whether trails in this part of the property are fair game. I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs...

-Steve
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » May 8th, 2011, 11:41 pm

reidabel wrote:AllMountin' - I rode this morning from 9:15 to noon and you must have fixed your log pile. I was going to come on here and comment on how good it is now - I can ride it both ways, and I hadn't made it in any of a handful of previous attempts. I saw the bypass and rode it, not realizing it was a bypass, I figured it was just a trail going up the hill. I don't like it, I'd prefer people just got off the bike and walked over the log pile if they don't want to try it. The pile does look intimidating, and maybe the horses have issues with trying it. Maybe the horses will take the bypass and leave the log pile alone? It would be nice to know what type of trail user partially destroyed the log pile and why.

Regarding you building on the trail - this downed tree is a big monster that we would have no way of riding over without the pile Steve has kindly created. He's not using lumber and/or nails, so I don't think anybody, even the DNR, would have a problem with this. Thanks for doing it.

You know, that was only the third time I've been on the ridge trail, and only my fourth time at Rose Lake, and I didn't notice any missing roots or see any places where it looked like roots were cut out. But I'll believe you, and just mention that it wasn't me removing roots. Or anything else. Well, I DID remove probably a couple of hundred thorn branches this morning - I remembered the clippers this time, and I found the thorny areas that must have flayed pfox90.

I have a question, though - what about the logs here and there that I can't go over without hitting my chain ring - are those rideable by somebody with more skill than me? If so, how? I can get my front tire over them by lifting the wheel up before hitting it, but I don't know what to do about the chainring biting into the log. Or do people just grind over it, using the chainring for grip? I don't want to bend the teeth!

Also, I discovered that the shooting range has a port-a-potty that we can ride right up to - just in case anybody wants to know that ... nobody shot me, but I did get some looks.

Reid- yes I fixed the pile. It is not exactly as it was, but rode well for me too in both directions. I don't take issue with the bypass for exactly the reason you mentioned. It may give other trail users an option that will stop the destruction of the pile.

I found some of your thorns on a trail that runs between the main trail and the one that parallels it to the North. It's a lesser ridden trail, and one I don't typically take.

Regarding the logs without piles. There is one specifically where the trail cuts back to the North off the main trail, a bit west of the elevated campsite with the pines (on the South of the main trail). It is probably a couple inches higher than the big chain ring and I fell the first half dozen times I tried it this season. The last two times I've made it w/out issue. I do pretty much as you describe. I take it at pretty low speed, so as to preserve the straightness of the chain ring, but with just enough to preserve a touch of forward momentum. It is difficult to balance a stationary bike on the chain ring. I enter with the dominant foot slightly forward of vertical and consciously make sure to start to pedal as soon as the ring lands in order to preserve momentum. The ring will take you up a little bit and then the wheel catches and takes you the rest of the way. Then I eat strawberry preserves on a nature preserve to ensure that I've properly over-used the word 'preserve'. :lol:

Thx for the heads up on the loo. Beats a poison ivy rash every time. :D
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby centralRH » May 10th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Nice job on the ridge trail log pile. I love that section of trail.
centralRH

Postby AllMountin' » May 10th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Thanks Brad. I replaced the lowest log on the downhill side again today. I think it might be getting displaced by hooves. I might have a couple of ideas for features at Anderson. I'll bring it up another time.

Dropped down another 17.5 miles at RL today. Couldn't even tell it had rained really. Much of it's too dry. The usual wet spots, but the water levels continue to drop. Whatever you do- don't try to ride the overgrown trail that follows the North shore of the lake. It is one big pricker patch. I ended up hike-a-biking for about a half mile and tearing up a brand new pair of shorts.

I checked out the alleged root destruction and am 100% certain. The big root that terminates halfway across the trail at the top of the first climb was chopped off and half removed. See it here:

There is another place mid-way up the second hill that was clearly dug up, but I don't recall what was there. Here is the bandit trail above the infamous log pile:

Again- no concern of mine. I tried to move the giant tree that blocks the lower line where the ridge trail splits, but to no avail. Not *nearly* enough spinach in my diet- cause it didn't budge. ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby Di_bear » May 10th, 2011, 10:59 pm

owosso bob wrote:I rode out there yesterday about 11:00 and I did not see any roots cut out so it must have happened after that . Having ridden over here for 20 plus years I can tell you we used to ride on the west side of Peacock road where the gun range is now all the way up to the pheasant pens . There was a lot of little trails all over . Denny,s bike shop used to have a ride out there on thursdays and a group us from Owosso rode there once a week in the spring time . Never seen so much bandit trail building as there is this year and I hope this does not cause friction with the DNR as they usually frown on anything that is not approved . I would suggest that anyone who wants to trail build go over to Sleppy Hollow they have been looking for a TC for a long time , it could be an awesome trail with a lot of work . By the way Steve be careful about the gramps analogy I resemble that remark .

I'm supposed to head up Sleepy Hollow, but I just can't afford to get out there, right now. It's the same reason why I don't show up to anything, these days. Sleepy Hollow has great potential, but it definitely needs someone who knows the IMBA trailbuilding guidelines. There is potential for long hills if people appropriately build along the hill rather than straight up and down. I have ideas for different sections, but I just can't get out there to make it happen.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby AllMountin' » May 10th, 2011, 11:58 pm

I forgot to mention this: Don't count on the gun range loo unless you happen to be riding from Thursday to Monday, before 5 pm. Outside of these hours, the can is behind locked/signed gates with barbed wire. You'll be forced to choose between a) deuce in the woods; b) criminal trespass deuce; or c) deuce in the street. I suppose there is an option D, but I choose not to think about that one. None of the above should be confused with 'optimal deuce'- even by porta-john standards.

I shall not disclose which option I chose, or if- in fact- I did choose one. ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » May 11th, 2011, 9:06 am

I know that root - in my vast experience at Rose Lake (four rides in the last week and a half), I think it has been like that each time. I didn't make that hill the first few tries because I tried to turn to the left to avoid it and ended up stalling out. The last time I rode it, I just went straight up over it and made it to the top. Although, looking at the picture, it seems like there's more room on the left than I remember ...
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » May 11th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Rode today with my wife. It is getting overgrown already. I cannot believe it. What is the best way, from the Woodbury parking lot, to get to the ridge trail? I have ridden it, but only because I was with someone who remembered how to get to it.

I also today, opted to take the left fork, where it splits off, instead of riding the middle to the log piles and jumps. There is some pretty decent downhill on that left fork. I will definitely ride that again!
TenSpeed

Postby pfox90 » May 11th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Dan, you get to the part of the trail that don re routed (the little technical rocky section), and then you take a left after you finish off that hill but you should have to walk to it because it'll just look like a mud circle and there is the log we walked over.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby AllMountin' » May 11th, 2011, 8:08 pm

I'm guessing he doesn't know how to get to the rocky section either, if he doesn't know how to get to the ridge. :-)

You said "best", which is a matter of opinion. If you simply mean the easiest way to get there, it is very simple. From Woodbury lot, take the main trail due West until you see the bridge over Vermillion Creek. There will be a trail to your right (North) maybe 100 yards East of the bridge. Take that trail North. You'll notice a grass covered dirt jump near the start of the trail. You'll go up a couple of hills and pass 3 trails to the right and one trail to the left that drops down to the creek. Don't take any of them. Stay on the trail that follows the creek and bang- you are on the ridge trail. This is the clockwise direction with the harder climbs.

To get to the ridge w/ the above route requires about 3/4 miles of main trail, which to me makes it definitely not the "best". I'd rather bushwhack my way through 1000 miles of rain forest than ride 3/4 mile on the lame trail, errr... main trail. ;-)

The truly best way IMO is more complicated. Start to the right from the parking lot and run the North loop. Take the trail to the left of the jump section that you alluded to above. Continue on the most prominent trail (don't take the off-shoots) until you get dumped back on the main trail. Continue right on the main trail for roughly 1/8 mile. You will pass a camp at trail level on the left, and then a trail up to another elevated camp site shortly after on the left. Across from this elevated camp is the next trail to the North. Take this trail, which circles around a large pond. Don't take the small trails to the right. You will come to a T in the trail. Turn right. You'll pass a large log pile on the trail right, and shortly after will see a trail to the left. Take it. This trail will have a sandy curve to the right (skip the trail to the left at that curve) and then a 3-way intersection. The intersection forms a moss covered triangle of land. Next...

A) To run the ridge trail counter-clockwise- turn right at the mossy triangle and run through the trail with the rocky tech mentioned above. When you get to the bottom, near the water- turn left on the trail that runs along/near the water. This is the start of the ridge trail.

B) To run the ridge clockwise- continue straight/left at the mossy triangle and follow the most prominent trail Westward until you reach a nice, even fork in the trail. Take the right fork, which will take you to the start of the ridge trail (to the right).

The End. If you can remember and/or execute all of that- you are the man. The more likely scenario is that you end up hopelessly lost, chopped up and served as dinner by some inbred, cannibalistic country folk with no teeth. :-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA